• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

I am currently reading a book called The Gaia Codex. In the metaphysics community it's a tale that primes the femme for life and coming of age via initiations of the alchemy of spirit. It has symbolism, references of culture, and meanings implied through some of the story via archetypes. Certainly more of a read for those into the concepts of the divine feminine. I haven't finished it, but it's been insightful so far.

WalkingonGlass.jpg

I've really enjoyed what I've read from Iain Banks thus far. Actually, a few people from Bluelight turned me on to him, I otherwise would never have heard of him. The Wasp Factory and Consider Phlebas were awesome. I also read The Crow Road, but I really can't remember anything besides the granny blowing up in the beginning. I remember enjoying it though.

one of my favourite authors by a mile. 'walking on glass' is mind-bendingly awesome.

i can also heartily recommend:

the bridge (my #2 fave book of all time)
espedair street
canal dreams
the crow road
complicity
a song of stone

his vision is novel, moving and wonderful.

alasdair

Holy shit I posted that back in 2013. Just finished the book less than two months ago. Not because of any sort of difficulty or plodding pace, but rather as a result of an unintended hiatus from reading. I was reading literature at a breakneck pace for a couple years there, and then I took three years off. I had no idea it had been that long. A shame.

Walking on Glass was indeed excellent. I'm surprised the book ranks so low among the opinions of Banks fans; I honestly can't understand why.

That ending though. So good.

Anyways, since then I finally got around to reading Notes from the Underground (along with a handful of Dostoyevsky shorts that came with it), completing what I consider the essential Dostoyevsky trilogy, along with Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov, which I read years ago. Quite possibly my favorite author, but there are so many great works out there yet to be read that that is always subject to change.

Right now I'm reading Thomas Pynchon's V., and loving it. I remember when I picked up Vineland a few years back, and while I couldn't deny the quality of the work, and took some enjoyment from certain sections and themes, I secretly fucking hated it. It was the first "challenge" book I had ever read, as well as my introduction to that genre or style or whatever it would be called, and so I guess not really understanding what the hell was going on and being constantly pissed off and frustrated was to be expected.

This time, I came prepared. I knew what I was getting myself into, prepared for the fact that it will be a long, oftentimes plodding read, and dove into it. Also, smartphones; No fucking way was I going to get up from whichever sofa cushion or bed I was laying on to hop into the next room where the desktop was located every time I came across some encyclopedic or historical element, or a word that not even my dictionary understands. Not then or now. I don't see how anybody could have read this back in 1963 and understood a fifth of what was actually going on; It's still hard to fully comprehend everything now. With a smartphone, however, all the information I need is right at my fingertips, all from the comfort of my ass. With that at my disposal, it's really been a lot of fun. Particularly enjoyed Chapter 3, with all the pertinent espionage and events gleamed from dialogue overheard by our 8 narrators, and all late European colonial Egyptian history going on, that I had no idea about before I read this book. Who ever heard of the Fashoda Incident?

More excellent new(-ish) releases:

Kate Tempest - The Bricks that Built the Houses

Tiffany McDaniel - The Summer that Melted Everything

Liam Pieper - The Toy Maker

All three were great.

For maybe the 10th time, I really enjoy a good reread every year or so of any book that I loved lots the first time around...

^^ i just read chapter 1 again will probably finish the book sometime this fall, its a book ive read doubleplusmultiple times in my life. been listening to the audiobook of 'kafka on the shore' - Haruki Murakami. plan on reading his book 1Q84 when i feel my brain-mind is up to the challenge.

Last edited:
i am finally going to make a serious attempt to read this monstrosity:
K2bYFIe.jpg

Anyone honestly make it through the whole thing?

I have given it an honest try and I just didn't like it.

It just seems so simple, normal, dumb, I don't know. I should give it another try.

the writing itself is rarely simple or dull and the theme(s) in the book are interesting. granted, i've read more about the book than the actual book. from what i gather he tried to turn several novellas into one 'long-story' and at times write in a way that would elicit feelings in the reader without being explicit or transparent. he also wanted the writing to mirror his thinking process rather than a typical narrative. part of the book is attempting to do what Darren Aronofsky attempted in Requiem for a Dream:

FWIW: Infinite Jest came out three years earlier and Requiem for a Dream was based on the 1978 Novel by Hubert Selby Jr.
Aronofsky via wikipedia said:
Requiem for a Dream is not about heroin or about drugs… The Harry-Tyrone-Marion story is a very traditional heroin story. But putting it side by side with the Sara story, we suddenly say, 'Oh, my God, what is a drug?' The idea that the same inner monologue goes through a person's head when they're trying to quit drugs, as with cigarettes, as when they're trying to not eat food so they can lose 20 pounds, was really fascinating to me.

David Foster Wallace interview 1996 said:
"The problem for me is in entertainment, it’s, at least in the book—God, if the book comes off as some kind of indictment of entertainment, then it fails. It’s sort of about our relationship to it. The book isn’t supposed to be about drugs, getting off drugs. Except as the fact that drugs are kind of a metaphor for the sort of addictive continuum that I think has to do with how we as a culture relate to things that are alive."

"And one of the things I noticed in the halfway house is the difference between me and like a twenty-year-old prostitute who is dying of AIDS, who’d been doing heroin since she was eleven, is, is a matter of accidents. Choices of substances. Activities to get addicted to. And having other resources, you know? I mean, I really love books and I really love writing, and a lot of these folks never got to find anything else they loved."

"I think what you’re betraying here is you and I have a somewhat different understanding of “addict.” I think for you, the addict is the gibbering, life-that-completely-grinds-to-a-halt thing. And for me—and the thing that the book is about, is—it’s really about a continuum, involving a fundamental orientation. Lookin’ for easy pleasurable stuff outside me to make things all right. And I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it. But I’m saying it’s a continuum, and that we slide."

Just finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the first book in the short novel series. The TV show Dexter was originally a short novel series by Jeff Lindsey that covered season 1 & 2.

Tomorrow I'm walking to the bookstore to pick up the 2nd book in the series, Dearly Devoted Dexter.

Nam by Mark Barker ...Makes some scary reading in parts and this is my second time around reading this

Once a Warrior King: Memories of an Officer in Vietnam by David Donovan

I'm really enjoying it. I skimmed it for a class in college, but liked it enough that I kept it so I could read it at a later date. I'm glad I did :)

read this book over the course of the last few days. overall its an average book that explores loneliness by examining the lives of several artists. Mainly -Andy Warhol, Edward Hopper, Henry Darger, and David Wojnarowicz. i think the book could have been a lot better if the author shared more about herself and also included more clinical studies. Either way i recommend. it contains an abundance of insightful anecdotes and delves into the lives of some incredibly unusual people.
NSFW:
eZ8KJqe.jpg

a shameless plug for the site brainpickings is included in this post.

Just starting The Sympathizer by Viet Than Nguyen. Can you imagine winning the Pulitzer with your first novel??

Interesting that so many of us seem to reading books about the Viet Nam era. Has anyone read The Things We Carried by Tim O'Brien? Good book about the war.

Because of my age it was a very defining war for me. I am female and so there was no draft to contend with for me but it was very real for every male I knew. i went to a weird radical little hippie school where we were trained in civil disobedience and where we hid our draft resistors and regularly attended every anti-war march and rally until the end of the war (my high school years as well as university years and beyond). Years after, I married a Viet Nam veteran. The scars he carries have played out throughout our marriage and continue to this day. Even though he got one of the very first diagnoses of PTSD (They called it War Trauma back then) and now has a cancer caused by exposure to Agent Orange, by far his deepest wound is the ongoing guilt he lives with. He said it took him about 24 hours in country to realize the immorality of that war so two years of meaningless hell (trying to stay alive while trying not to kill anyone) definitely took its toll.

Last edited:
^Yeah, it was probably the most traumatic war our country ever saw. I can only imagine what it must have been like for our men over there.

I have another book I mean to read called "Last Night I Dreamed of Peace" and it's the diary of a NVA surgeon who was on the front lines, and who inevitably died when a bombing run struck her field hospital. The whole war was fucked, on both sides. It seems to have been one of the many peaks of inhumanity that the 20th century endured.

Last edited:
The Rebel by Albert Camus The Call Of The Wild by Jack London Che Guevara A revolutionary Life by John Lee Anderson All highly recommended:).
I posted this in the wrong thread so sorry for being an ass. These are works at least you might be interested in.

A Time To Kill by John Grisham. He's a great writer, no doubt. Also been reading "The Firm" by him as well whenever I get the chance.