• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

After finishing up Brave New World a while ago, I just finished up The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham today. Very interesting novel.

I picked up and finished The Lathe of Heaven. I really enjoyed this.

PBS did a film based on this (I believe there's a newer one out too?)

I haven't actually started reading it, but today I received my order of History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides. I am hoping to start it soon. :)

Finished The Gambler; was a rather good psychological novel.

such a coincidence, i was reading it a few weeks ago. stopped half way, because i didn't find it exactly interesting. the other book from his i read though, "Notes from the Underground", left me speechless, so i was kinda disappointed. may be i missed something...

i am currently reading "o Alienista", a classic short-story from national literature here. when i was in 10th grade or so we had to read it for literature class, but i didn't read it. i remember the annoying teacher going on and on about how i should read it and bla bla bla. i went to the bookstore yesterday and found it and instantly bought it.

just finished:

tortillacurtain.jpg

the ending surprised me but i enjoyed it.

about to start:

51FcTahdIzL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

alasdair

'Time Must Have a Stop' is MIA in the library system.

I think I am going to try the author Elif Safak

Last edited:
I'm now reading Anna Karenina, by Tolstoy. Already over 100 pages in, and am loving it. Then again, War and Peace is my absolute favorite. %)

Hope you all have a great book to read during the holiday season!

nearing the end of purity.a girl tryin to get by, broke, college debt, crazy mother who won't reveal who her father is. she ends up meeting a julian assange type character looking for her dad. tells the story of different characters and how they all connect together.

kept me interested to see how everything comes together. halfway i just made up my mind to finish it cause i started it, not because i really needed to find out how it ended =/

that being said i do enjoy the writing even if parts to drag...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/books/review-in-purity-jonathan-franzen-hits-a-new-octave.html

Last edited:
reading Hold Still by sally mann. been on my list since it first came out, but took me a bit to get to it. sally isn't a prodigy of a writer like she is a photographer, but her above average intelligence certainly lends itself to prose as well. i'm all about the book's primary theme -- exploring the transience of life, beauty, and memory. reminds me of nabakov's memoir -- Speak, Memory -- in that sense. the coolest bit i've come across so far is her showing and talking about the process and outtakes of some of her famous pieces. i'm a little bit nervous that i've already gotten past the bulk of her commentary on Immediate Family. i'm sure she doesn't want one phase to be representative of her whole career, but it's what i'm most interested in hearing about from her.

i can't comment on any of these last books mentioned unfortunately :\

i started reading 'The First Third' by Neal Cassady yesterday. i recommend it for anyone who likes other beat authors such as Kerouac.

Best read of late:

Under Major Domo Minor by Patrick DeWitt - quirky, nuts, awesome. His earlier novel "The Sisters Brothers" is also great and well worth reading.

i usually have 2 or 3 books on the go.
im currently reading 'the mountain shadow' by gregory david roberts, it is the second installment of his epic semi autobiographical novel set in india, it follows the first installment which was called 'shantaram'
i highly reccomend these books to anyone.

i have just finished 'noble house' by james clavell, a wonderful epic novel (as are all clavells works)

im just about to start the new harper lee book

i loved this book and tv show.
have you read 'homicide - life on the streets' by simon and burns?

edit_ this was intended as a quote reply to whoever posted aout 'the corner'