• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

I am reading maybe the moon by armistead maupin. It is about a little person trying to kickstart her hollywood career. It is written like a journal. One of my favourite books.

Currently I am reading A Song of Fire & Ice. I am on book two. I had started What is the What before I got hooked on these and will finish that up once I am done nerding out. Then it's off to try to tackle Infinite Jest again.

Currently I am reading A Song of Fire & Ice. I am on book two. I had started What is the What before I got hooked on these and will finish that up once I am done nerding out. Then it's off to try to tackle Infinite Jest again.

what the fuck is a song of fire and ice? you mean throne game? ;) (book three is surely the best.) don't bother with infinite jest. it's just like "Ulysses" for our generation so it's equally fine if you lie and say you've read it.

i just finished "The Panic Virus", about the people responsible for the explosion of "vaccines = autism" shit. I've got like three chapters left of "Good Omens; the true and accurate prophecies of Agnes Nutter, witch", by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prattchet, but haven't finished. i checked out a modern version of the canterbury tales because i've never read them. i also checked out "tough guys don't dance" by norman mailer again because it's my favourite mailer book and i want something nice for a re-read.

I started Infinite Jest awhile ago and was really into it [though it is a dense, heady tome] but then my commute went from an hour and twenty minutes to twenty minutes so it fell by the wayside. Now that winter is coming and Martin's tale won't last forever, I am going to tackle DFW's opus in full. Good Omens is fantastic.

the Biblical Apocrypha ~ Manuel Komroff

These bokes that follow in order unto the Newe testament, are called Apocrypha, that is, bokes, which were not received by a comune consent to be red and expounded publickely in the Church, neither yet served to prove any point of Christian religion, save inasmuche as they had the consent of the other Scriptures called Canonical to confirme the same, or rather whereon they were grounded : but as bokes proceding from godlie men, were received to be red for the advancement and furtherance of the knowledge of the historie, and for the instruction of godlie maners : which bokes declare that at all times God had an especial care of his Church and left them not utterly destitute of teachers and meanes to confirme them in the hope of the promised Messiah, and also witnesse that those calamities that God sent to his Church, were according to his providence, who had bothe so threatened by his Prophetes, and so broght it to passe for the destruction of their enemies, and for the tryal of his children.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I'm about two thirds into it, really enjoying it.

It's about a foster girl in Nazi Germany, the narration is taken from the perspective of death.

I'm reading a compilation of short stories by Ernest Hemingway and a book about how to write for theater.
I'm also reading the results of this thing I'm putting together that's taking up all my time lately. I'm also reading the lyrics to every rock opera I can get my hands on.

^i'm sure there are lots of collections of hemingway's shorts, but is it the one that has the story about the cowardly hunter and the murderous wife toward the beginning?

i'm currently doing a close read of Lolita. i read a bare text edition a few years ago. but nabokov often uses foreign expressions and quotations, and the edition i originally read did not include translations. so i bought the bigass annotated version and told myself i was going to know that novel someday. i started it only to realize that the essays and annotations included would not be of much interest to me if i had not read a good deal of nabokov's other works. so i did. and now i've finally gotten back around to the MVP and am loving it. though i think the annotator misses a lot of nabakov's humor--and writes some idiotic footnotes in result--he does point out a lot of allusions and other nuances that i would not have a chance in hell at. and most importantly, he translates every foreign expression nabakov was nice/pretentious enough to include.

it would have served the annotator well to crack an abnormal psych textbook before starting this project, because nabokov obviously read a few of them cover to cover.

Last edited:
I just picked up a copy of Trainspotting. The Scottish dialect makes it a challenging read, but I dig it.

I read the book after I saw the movie which made it a little easier for me. It took me awhile to discover the meaning of "ken" as in "He's talking sense ken." After I read it I couldn't stop talking in a Scottish accent for 2 straight days. Even fooled some Scotsman into thinking I was born in Edinburgh lol.

Brigid Brophy - Flesh

interesting book on a slothful intellectual that is tortured by the beauty of art/books/antiques

;)

This Biblical Apocrypha is a knock out-spell Binder ~ A real must read to, believe HeHe
I especially like Chapter 17 of ECCLESIATICUS.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I'm about two thirds into it, really enjoying it.

It's about a foster girl in Nazi Germany, the narration is taken from the perspective of death.

I loved that book, pk.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré. Great so far. Really into the tradecraft jargon.

Just finished it yesterday, I'm glad you found it as enjoyable to read as I =)

This Biblical Apocrypha is a knock out-spell Binder ~ A real must read to, believe HeHe
I especially like Chapter 17 of ECCLESIATICUS.

Seriously? hmmm...

Well, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (seriously.)
I find it a bit challenging, but I'm getting through it! I am getting the impression that JK Rowling must be a total bitch in real life from reading the book. For once it seems that the changes made in the movie weren't that bad.

Seriously? hmmm...

Well, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (seriously.)
I find it a bit challenging, but I'm getting through it! I am getting the impression that JK Rowling must be a total bitch in real life from reading the book. For once it seems that the changes made in the movie weren't that bad.

Yes really
;)

http://carm.org/bel-and-the-dragon
^ here is a very short chapter.

I am going to buy some different translations...Ecclesiasticus is a whirl-wind, there are 51 chapters of that in here, 12 in the King James. 17 is amazing, the while thing is.

^i'm sure there are lots of collections of hemingway's shorts, but is it the one that has the story about the cowardly hunter and the murderous wife toward the beginning?

i'm currently doing a close read of Lolita. i read a bare text edition a few years ago. but nabokov often uses foreign expressions and quotations, and the edition i originally read did not include translations. so i bought the bigass annotated version and told myself i was going to know that novel someday. i started it only to realize that the essays and annotations included would not be of much interest to me if i had not read a good deal of nabokov's other works. so i did. and now i've finally gotten back around to the MVP and am loving it. though i think the annotator misses a lot of nabakov's humor--and writes some idiotic footnotes in result--he does point out a lot of allusions and other nuances that i would not have a chance in hell at. and most importantly, he translates every foreign expression nabakov was nice/pretentious enough to include.

it would have served the annotator well to crack an abnormal psych textbook before starting this project, because nabokov obviously read a few of them cover to cover.

That sounds damn tedious and extremely fruitful. Good for you. I just read the wikipedia article on "unreliable narrators" and it was very interesting. That's such a cool idea. It gives me an idea for the thing I'm writing, rock opera sounds cheesy. I guess a musical, but with rock music, not like Tommy or anything else I can think of really.

I don't have the Hemmingway book with me currently as I'm kind of settled in 2 places at once, but I haven't read anything about a cowardly hunter and murderous wife. I just love his use of dialogue especially in cafe or pub scenes. The way he makes his characters say the littlest of things that lets you know there's a deep relationship going on, but he doesn't tell you about the depth of the relationship or the fullness of what they're talking about, he simply lets you in on these little snippets of life that are as plain as day, yet they hide treasures.