• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone (buprenorphine) and Vistaril (hydroxyzine)

Empty8787

Bluelighter
I've tried to search this and I have found a little information that was helpful, but no answer I am confident in. I started on Suboxone this week. I take 24mg a day. I also have a script for Vistaril 50mg pills. Will combining these two make the Suboxone work better? What is a safe dose of Vistaril to take while I'm on Suboxone?

Yes, it is safe to combine Vistaril (hydroxyzine) together. Hydroxyzine is a sedating antihistamine and will increase the nod and sedative effects of the buprenorphine (Suboxone) and will also reduce any opiate itchies you may get.

I'm going to edit the title of your thread for easier searching in the future.

I have taken hydroxyzine with my Suboxone and it definitely made me more drowsy but I never started to nod. The only antihistimines I enjoy with Suboxone are diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at 50-75mg and Phenergan at 25-37.5mg. I think Vistaril makes me feel too tired but not in a good way.

I've mixed hydroxyzine and subs and found it definitely increased the nod potential, in the same way that any 1st generation/sedating antihistamine makes any opioid more noddy for me.. it is a fairly widespread practice and there are no dangerous interactions (as long as you stick to normal therapeutic doses of the antihistamines!)

On an unrelated note, how much of your DOC we're you taking before? Becuase Buprenorphine is an extremely potent drug, and also has little value for getting an addict "high".My point is, I'm certain you don't need 24mg. I tell you this because the doctors prescribing it know about as much about bupe as I know about performing heart surgery. So you should truly not take all 24mg, instead, start with one pill under your tongue, wait a while, and if you really are still in wd's, take another 4mg at a time, till your good.IT WILL NOT take 24mg, unless you had a very,very, VERY serious tolerance beforehand, and I mean an ungodly kind, and taking 24mg when honestly 8mg might even be enough to get you "buzzy" will do nothing but increase adverse affects, and when your used to it, you WILL have an ungodly tolerance.So be smart; if anything remember that if your only taking 1-2 pills and prescribed 3, you have a shitload extra to have fun with!!!:)
Plus, it's not like bupe is gonna get you high, at least not with a considrable tolerance, and even then not after a few days ;(

I was taking quite a bit of OxyCodone. I thought 24mg seemed like a lot so I just took 1 tablet my first day and it was helping me but I felt like I needed more. So now I use 16mg of Suboxone and it is doing the trick.

i take 2 mg sub a day and i just took 100 mg hydrox i feel notable effects stronger than usual

I'm prescribed this combination. My Suboxone doctor prescribed me the hydroxyzine for anxiety as an alternative to benzodiazepines. He won't prescribe anything addictive. I haven't been able to get high on Suboxone ever since being prescribed it because I had a big tolerance to opiates so I don't know about increasing the high but I do notice that I feel drowsier from the combination. I'm prescribed 50-100mg hydroxyzine with 4mg buprenorphine and I don't take the Vistaril all the time.

I'm prescribed this combination. My Suboxone doctor prescribed me the hydroxyzine for anxiety as an alternative to benzodiazepines. He won't prescribe anything addictive. I haven't been able to get high on Suboxone ever since being prescribed it because I had a big tolerance to opiates so I don't know about increasing the high but I do notice that I feel drowsier from the combination. I'm prescribed 50-100mg hydroxyzine with 4mg buprenorphine and I don't take the Vistaril all the time.

Has the hydroxyzine helped with your anxiety?

On an unrelated note, how much of your DOC we're you taking before? Becuase Buprenorphine is an extremely potent drug, and also has little value for getting an addict "high".My point is, I'm certain you don't need 24mg. I tell you this because the doctors prescribing it know about as much about bupe as I know about performing heart surgery. So you should truly not take all 24mg, instead, start with one pill under your tongue, wait a while, and if you really are still in wd's, take another 4mg at a time, till your good.IT WILL NOT take 24mg, unless you had a very,very, VERY serious tolerance beforehand, and I mean an ungodly kind, and taking 24mg when honestly 8mg might even be enough to get you "buzzy" will do nothing but increase adverse affects, and when your used to it, you WILL have an ungodly tolerance.So be smart; if anything remember that if your only taking 1-2 pills and prescribed 3, you have a shitload extra to have fun with!!!:)
Plus, it's not like bupe is gonna get you high, at least not with a considrable tolerance, and even then not after a few days ;(
I totally agree! (5 years later lol) but after about 16 mgs give or take the persons weight you hit the ceiling effect of suboxone meaning you can take as much more as you want but there will be increased no increased effects only increased side effects