Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just comparing the expectations going into each film, not the two films themselves.

Well, comparing expectations of two films; concerns judging/comparing those two films ( if you lump them into one category); will conflate your assesment and feeling but I think I get where you are coming from.

I just completely disagree with your assessment of Lady Bird.

Good. Life would be unbearably boring otherwise. ;)

Every movie doesn’t have to drip with imagination or creative zeal in order to be successful.
True. Yet, success and merit are not synonymous, unfortunately.

This day and age unpredictability has become pretty predictable.
What you are saying is paradoxical but I assume you are discussing 'edgyness'; which is predictabile fluff in film. However, I think your expectations may perhaps, be limited as you may be confusing homogeneity/creative variety with predictibility/unpredictibility - the unpredictible should make you percieve things differently/ not just present as empty novely.

Greta Gerwig was channeling her own experience through Saoirse Ronan and her character. When you are making a semi-autobiographical, light hearted indie film about a girl growing up in Sacramento is not the time to make too many overly artistic statements. Gerwig has plenty of time for those things...this was pretty much her directorial debut.

Yes, yes. Good for her. Hope she does well. Etc. ( *see commentary above)

Speaking of originality and creativity, what do do you think about all the plagiarism accusations swirling around Guillermo del Toro and The Shape of Water?

Del Toro denies ever having seen it although I find that hard to believe given how well versed he is in this particular genre...I mean, he admits the creature is directly inspired by the Creature from the Black Lagoon...but “inspired by” doesn’t really go far enough imo...

what did you mean by the Moonlight comment btw? I didn’t get that.

Well, I have read this and it seems like much was ripped (however, I haven't seen the short and am looking forward to seeing it.)
I also read that, the makers had no objection with Del Toro, so, they are either intimidated; or, colluding to cash in on the popularity that the SOW brings toward their short ( I hope it is the latter ;) )

With regard to The Creature from the Black Lagoon - this is an archytype and has meaning - so, if you are unaware of the meaning of archytypal charachters ( which in fantasy and horror is ubiquitous) I would urge you to look it up.

I am biast but I love subtext and Del Toro's socio-political subtext is beautifully communicated in his films. Again, I would suggest you look them up (not just on your tube)- if you haven't been immediately curious about it. Curioustiy makes the cat smarter. ;)

Last edited:
IT remake. Meh found it pretty lame. Was even dosed on a psychedelic to up the ante in the feeling of fear.

Found it to be pretty lame all in all. Few scenes that were legitimately creepy tho.

Did you know that Del Toro was abused by his own grandmother when he was very young because she had decided he was possessed by the devil? She made him walk to school with upturned bottlecaps in his shoes to "remind" him that he must suffer to expel his "darkness". No wonder the guy makes the movies he makes--between his grandmother and the Catholic church in Mexico how could he not?

Anyway....just saw the Oscar nominated animation shorts. They were all entertaining and really varied. Tonight I hope to get someone to take me to see the dramatic shorts as well. I look forward to these every year.

Did you know that Del Toro was abused by his own grandmother when he was very young because she had decided he was possessed by the devil? She made him walk to school with upturned bottlecaps in his shoes to "remind" him that he must suffer to expel his "darkness". No wonder the guy makes the movies he makes--between his grandmother and the Catholic church in Mexico how could he not?

Anyway....just saw the Oscar nominated animation shorts. They were all entertaining and really varied. Tonight I hope to get someone to take me to see the dramatic shorts as well. I look forward to these every year.

thought you might like this

Happy Death Day . Its a funny movie with a good storyline and lesson intertwined in it. Kinda like Groundhog Day but a modern version . I was surprised how much I liked it .

(i finally saw) Lady Bird

movie is stock photography, keyword "coming of age." the prequel to Frances Ha, which, while also quite textbook, is a better movie.

Woodshock

prefer their dresses. crazy they stretched this lack of content into a feature length film. all about the lighting. i can appreciate movies about the lighting, but Suspiria puts this one to shame.

Clerks II

happened to be on. i'm not sure if i've seen the first, but i knew enough to catch the nods. weird mix of serious and silly.

Get Out

are there any showtime original films? if so, this is what i imagine they're like.

Last edited:
^ was thinking of watching Get Out based on people raving about it and curiosity, but thanks for saving me the displeasure, Hydro ;)

Never saw Denis Villeneuve footage before - what a likeable guy, interesting and genuine.

Joe Wright was interesting. Jolie is always cautious when interviewed/on a panel - only saw one of her films (in it's entirety) and though technically they are good; lack ingenuity and follow the same format, imho.

This was surprisingly pleasant, Malevolent - thanks for posting btw.

I do wish Greta Gerwig got more time-in, to interject and PR herself, as a mature director - however, cannot be undaunting with all the big-whigs, in-there, would imagine!

Wonder if Del Toro, joined the #MeToo movement - what with the Weinsteins being such a bunch of stifling pricks to artists, in general, and all that!? ;)

*Surprised, with regarding the 'Life-boat film of choice' nobody mentioned Cast Away

Last edited:
If you liked that there are more from previous years. Not all are directors round table, some are lead actor/actress, etc. They are all very interesting.

Greta was definitely a little intimidated.

What about Waterworld for a life boat film?

^ was thinking of watching Get Out based on people raving about it and curiosity, but thanks for saving me the displeasure, Hydro ;)
normally i'd feel anxious about this, but there is zero chance you would like this movie.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

this movie is alright, due to cast and performance. otherwise, it's like the artsy version of Mad Max: Fury Road.

promised my mother i'd watch The Shape of Water, but she also said there's enough cg that i probably won't like it.

if The Florida Project isn't good, i give up. i know it's my fault for watching all these oscar nominated films, but given Tangerine there is hope.

Last edited:
The Florida Project

thank fuck. best movie i?ve seen since i can remember. about friendship in adverse circumstance. like Tangerine, only even better. Tangerine is about the grace of injured adult companionship. The Florida Project focuses on the purity of childhood friendship. gorgeous color grading. a grotesque take on storybook.

yo Joe, if you haven?t seen it yet ...

Last edited:
^ believe me , it was has been on "the list" with so many other things.

that would be a good movie to watch with my dad, good lookin out dro. and if you haven't, check sean baker's film before "tangerine" https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/starlet_2012/ set in mah hood san fernando valley /me throws up a big ass W four fingers up two twisted in the middle ;p

LOL at mah "list"

Pjs9Pc6.png

Last edited:
I just watched Sicario again, kind of as background.
I thought Benicio del Toro was great as usual, and that Josh Brolin turned in a great performance.
I think this movie is so well-paced and taut.

Apparently Sicario has sequel coming out. Sicario 2 is also called Soldado. I think I will see it.
https://www.soldado.movie

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 2/10
Well probably the worst of all the Marvel movies, and I've already found all of them unbearable of late.
I actually liked the first one. But it's another case where they expect you to care, rather than try and make you do so.
It was barely even a movie. Before the last 20-30 minutes I'm not sure I'd have even considered it one.

Just watched Shape of Water and I loved it! Have seen crimson tide but I def want to check out his other movies as well especially pans labyrinth! Highly recommend.

@ Hydro--The Florida Project was fantastic IMO. I'll be interested to hear if you liked it.

^ Did not see that yet.

I also liked The Shape of Water. I watched way before the Oscar. It touched me. I don't remember the last film that I felt so connected.

I just watched Sicario again, kind of as background.
I thought Benicio del Toro was great as usual, and that Josh Brolin turned in a great performance.
I think this movie is so well-paced and taut.

I just watched it again last night, the cinematography and music is so damn good.

Those long panning shots of the Mexican/US border with heavy drum beats really sets the atmosphere. It's one of the few movies that just cuts through all the bullshit and gets down the gritty reality, no sugarcoating.

Status
Not open for further replies.