Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet recently & have been watching Netflix & Amazon movies in the evening. Just rewatched 'Jacob's Ladder' last night. View it as a morality tale of what can happen to you if you do drugs, even inadvertently. Still trying to figure out the flashbacks & alternate realities involved. Wondering what the chemical structure of the 'Ladder' is (or was). I don't think an incapacitant like BZ would turn you into a mindless killer with flashbacks years later.

Link to medical report on BZ effects on volunteers: https://erowid.org/chemicals/bz/bz_article1.shtml

Last edited:
Recently rewatched Breaking Bad (all 5 seasons) as well as Better Call Saul. Pretty well done, both. The technical points in BB on cooking meth were pretty well done as I understand they used an academic chemistry professor for technical guidance. I like the technical accuracy of the dual tube furnaces for making P2P from phenylacetic & acetic acids. While they made a big fuss over getting 40% aq,. methylamine, I would have thought obtaining PAA would be as difficult. And I didn't catch any mention of glacial AA. And you just can't walk into a hardware store & buy ThO2 because you have both the nuke people as well as the DEA watching that.

LWYRUP.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone watch The Endless yet?

if you haven't, be very careful what you read beforehand. And imo, stay away from the trailer. It shows way too much. Best thing to do is go into it completely ignorant. Because I watched the trailer, and not only does it show pretty much all of the coolest shots in the film, it makes it seem like a horror movie...which imo, it's not.

its basically a story about two brothers who escaped as teenagers from the cult they grew up in. Ten years have passed, and they receive a mysterious video from said cult. Older bro doesn't want anything to do with it at first, but his younger bro has some fond memories of the place (and is currently very depressed) so they decide to go for one day only, just to catch up with the people they grew up with and see what the video meant. Then weird stuff starts happening. Stuff that may remind you of Lovecraft one moment and the ABC show LOST the next.

there are a few cringey cgi scenes, but it's low budget, and I think they actually do extremely well with the resources they have.

i won't bother talking spoilers until someone else has seen it. But if you like low budget, indie, horror/sci fi/mysteries, you might ought to give it a go. You can rent on VUDU for 3.99. I got it for .99 as a special offer after signing up.

^ Must check that out!

Waiting to see Heredity this week - always expect to be dissapointed with these; that way I either end up feeling smugly satisfied in my pessimism; or else, delighted - either way, I win; its a good system tbf.

be very careful what you read beforehand. And imo, stay away from the trailer. It shows way too much. Best thing to do is go into it completely ignorant.
only way to watch a movie.

The Lover

the book got me on a big duras kick. the film is based off The North China Lover much more than The Lover. it’s not good. like Pretty Baby — committed costume/period piece mashed with exploitive starlet sex scenes — without the controversy.

^ Hydro, came across, Shelley - your thing. Also, a french satire of Godard - that which you worship, is much worthy of criticism ;)

Saw Heredity.

Ugh...

Skip the first-half. The second-half is quite funny.

Good acting but underwhelming film.

Last edited:
I just wrote up a super long post about the last film that I saw and my phone decided to be an a**hole and I lost it. Argh! Well here's a shorter post. Last film in the theater was Guillermo del Toro's "The Shape of Water" and I LOVED it. I'm a big fan so I figured that I would enjoy it. Even after talking about the story on the 20 minute drive home, I was still thinking about it the following morning. I wasn't thinking and trying to figure out what I just saw but thinking of the characters and their backstories and their futures, what their lives would be like if it didn't end the way it did. I just want more. So Guillermo just needs to write some new stories for these characters.(one can wish, right?)
Well there it is, I rambled on again BUT I'm finally posting for the first time!! Love this site, the forums are amazing! I've read so many fantastic stories, helpful hints, fact based replies. I've been reading here for years and finally registered recently. Have a great day all. Be happy. Be safe.

Recently completed the Sense8 series on Netfilx. Overall enjoyed both seasons, as it brought a pretty solid cast together and gave us an alternate reality worth considering. First season was fantastic with the discovery of connections between a group of people, and how they can communicate and aid one another. Second season seemed like the writers were challenged to make something worth extending further, so it blossomed into some rivalry plots with another bonded group (pod?) and some interminglings of the original bad guy (whispers). Second season, while having some thoroughly enjoyable scenes and stories, ended with a finale that truly felt like the studio said this is the end and the producers determined to create the most over the top and expensive conclusion possible. It wraps up according to it's own storyline, and can be reprised given the basic premise, but I think it's good to put this one on the shelf at this point.

My favorite character would be the gay actor...and actor, portraying actor, very well IMO. Second place would either be the german guy or the korean girl, simply for the kick ass factor.

My last theater experience was Deadpool2. I'll be up front and admit I'm a Marvel fanboy, but I also am not enough of one to know much about this set of characters. I didn't know much of deadpool before his first film, and didn't know much of cabal before this one, and had no clue to the rest of the supporting characters (except Colossus, even then didn't know/appreciate the relationship with deadpool). Still, I got the gist of deadpool as someone who can't die and breaks from the story to engage the audience in a way not common to traditional comic book characters.

First deadpool was fun - explosive, dirty language (a bit), but mostly a fun romp with a get to know the characters setting. The second was way more explosions, WAY more adult language, and more throw away (ha!) characters, but appeared to build a bit of a team that may carry forward. I think Ryan Reynolds is absolutely perfect as deadpool. I didn't have the problem others seem to have transitioning with Brolin from the near sametime release of Thanos and then appearing here as Cabal...but I really felt Cabal needed to be more bad ass and less of a time sliding techno pissed off guy. He felt kinda weak, so I hope to see his character improve in the future. Domino...could be interesting. Ultimately, I felt the first was better, but the second film not far behind. Neither is a must see, IMO, but worth the time if you like Marvel, or these characters specifically. Definitely not part of the Marvel franchise made available for the kids, this is 100% aimed at adults.

^ hehe you need to email him! ;)

Welcome, ReDedS! :)

Nothing like getting lost in a movie, eh?

Check out some of his other movies - we are so used to character-driven plots on TV/Netfix that sometimes, it is easy to miss the plot or, to reflect on the meaning of a film, eh...

Saw a great many movies in recent months and haven't commented. In short, of what I recall:

The Departed: 7.5/10
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 6.5/10
Amelie: 9/10
Master and Commander: 8.5/10
(A.L.W.'s) Phantom of the Opera: 5.5/10 (fuck musicals)
Gothic: 6.5/10 (Terry Gilliam ain't bad)
Solo:7.5/10 (best of the new Star Wars films by far!)
A Serious Man 8.5/10
Howl's Moving Castle: 7/10 (Recently read the book on request of the missus, not a lot there imo...)
Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro: 7/10 (another meh from Miazaki. He by far excels in original screenplays like Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky or Princess Mononoke)

Last edited:
~The Timetraveller's Wife~

Just saw this Brad Pitt Executive Produced gem and loved it. I usually do like films done by Plan B but this one stuck out. It left me thinking about time, the future and my own bad habit of procrastination for hours after the film ended.

Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams worked well together with Robert Schwentke's directing. Overall a Very interesting take on time travel and how it relates to a normal time continuum in another. Highly recommended.
14.gif

MV5BMTcxNzA5MDAwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg5Mzg2Mg@@._V1_.jpg
]
MV5BMTMwNDk4MDcxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQwNTE5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Hydro, came across, Shelley - your thing.
of course on my list.

french satire of Godard - that which you worship, is much worthy of criticism ;)
post anna karina godard. actually haven't seen anything he made after his last movie with her, released 1966. will check this out nonetheless. his style is still plenty recognizable in the trailer. thanks for the heads up.

been watching movies in 45-minute installments as i row. got a few ...

The Bad Batch

girl in watermelon short shorts is entertaining for a few shots. feels like first draft of a undergrad student's screenplay. thought it was gonna end A Boy and His Dog style for a second.
NSFW:
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

a quiet romance where the two lovers never fuck -- the best kind. dope, orson wells inspired cinematography. it's the young auteur's first feature-length film, and it is accordingly callow. i'll check out whatever comes next from ana lily amirpour.
not an improvement.

Henry Pool Lives Here

has a warm, cool thing going on with blue and orange. representing grace. corny movie.

Melvin Goes to Dinner

so many good names make appearances in this very low-budget looking film. pretentious dialogue movie -- Coffee and Cigarettes with flashbacks -- where everyone is screaming their lines.

Extract

like Office Space but higher class and not good.

Mr. Roosevelt

noel wells is going for the greta gerwig thing. correctly guessed it was shot on 16mm. daytime shots looked much better than the low light shots with super grainy high speed film.

Adult Beginners

yuppie stumbles and is reminded of the importance of family. that bland but not unpleasant to watch.

Don Verdean

full of funny people but not funny.

lots of people watching lots of movies on the netflix instant account that i use; that's all of mine left on the "recently watched" list.

Last edited:
Birthmarked

emanuel hoss-desmarais must be a big fan of wes anderson. anderson does it better.

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III

sets are highly stylized, which offers some entertainment. pretty sure i’ve seen the shtick — character has an active imagination and the movie transitions between scenes of that and reality — done in other movies and books. charlie sheen plays the sexist lead well.

has a pretty girl kissing a car window — great trope. otherwise, big name cast and director making a nothing movie.

Last edited:
Anyone watch The Endless yet?

if you haven't, be very careful what you read beforehand. And imo, stay away from the trailer. It shows way too much. Best thing to do is go into it completely ignorant. Because I watched the trailer, and not only does it show pretty much all of the coolest shots in the film, it makes it seem like a horror movie...which imo, it's not.

its basically a story about two brothers who escaped as teenagers from the cult they grew up in. Ten years have passed, and they receive a mysterious video from said cult. Older bro doesn't want anything to do with it at first, but his younger bro has some fond memories of the place (and is currently very depressed) so they decide to go for one day only, just to catch up with the people they grew up with and see what the video meant. Then weird stuff starts happening. Stuff that may remind you of Lovecraft one moment and the ABC show LOST the next.

there are a few cringey cgi scenes, but it's low budget, and I think they actually do extremely well with the resources they have.

i won't bother talking spoilers until someone else has seen it. But if you like low budget, indie, horror/sci fi/mysteries, you might ought to give it a go. You can rent on VUDU for 3.99. I got it for .99 as a special offer after signing up.

I watched it the other week and really enjoyed it. I ended up watching it before Resolution which was released before it. It's plot centers around the meth head and his buddy. Both can be watched as stand alone movies though. Thankfully I went into both without the trailer thankfully

Anybody here seen the Banshee Chapter
first 5-10 min spoilers

The description says found footage but that's only the first 10 mins. It start off with 2 friends making a video trip report of one of them consuming a dmt analog(fictional) they got in the mail. After one of them consumes it he starts hearing this number station like melody in his head and ends up going missing and the other dude is a suspect. His friend that is a freelance journalist doesn't believe that and goes to find the real truth. It's not the type of movie you'd want to watch tripping though.

Hotel Artemis

I really enjoyed this film for what it was - a character driven crime/sci-fi. Maybe it was the drugs I took, maybe it was a genuinely good movie lol. Criminal hospital a la John Wick, in a mildly futuristic Las Angeles. Many big names and great performances from all of them, particularly Dave Batista and Jodie Foster. I heard people say this film was boring, but I'm unsure where they got that from. The ending was a bit of a disappointment, but overall it was a fun ride and a great premise. Could have been better, but for $2 at the dollar cinema, I can't say I was disappointed.

6.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.