Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie Wilson's War

In the early 1980s, Charlie Wilson is a womanizing US congressional representative from Texas who seemed to be in the minor leagues, except for the fact that he is a member of two major foreign policy and covert-ops committees. However, prodded by his major conservative supporter, Houston Socialite Joanne Herring, Wilson learns about the plight the people are suffering in the brutal Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. With the help of the maverick CIA agent, Gustav "Gust" Avrakotos, Wilson dedicates his canny political efforts to supply the Afghan mujahideen with the weapons and support to defeat the Soviet Union. However, Charlie Wilson eventually learns that while military victory can be had, there are other consequences and prices to that fight that are ignored to everyone's sorrow. Written by Kenneth Chisholm ([email protected])
Based on a True Story

A well spent 2 mins:

MV5BODk3YjYyNTAtMjRhYy00YTk4LTg4NjYtZDcwYjExNGVhZW  I2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAwMTU1MTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,67  5,1000_AL_.jpg

i just finished watching it, i feel like it was well executed, i don't understand the appeal in watching a film like that tho.

is it just a character analysis of psychopathy/sociopathy, an intentional witholding of redemption.

or its pointless and thats the point?

i just finished watching it, i feel like it was well executed, i don't understand the appeal in watching a film like that tho.

is it just a character analysis of psychopathy/sociopathy, an intentional witholding of redemption.

or its pointless and thats the point?

well there’s no specific point they are trying to force feed you or anything. it’s about a mother and her son, both living nightmares.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Not really gonna say anything about if you haven't seen it

Saturn 3

It was a God-awful cheesy flick from 1980; reminded me of just how sad miniatures can be when there's no funding/effort lol. Kirk Douglas was the big name, can't believe he signed up for that film heh. Typical sci-fi horror plot about a robot going bad and killing on a remote space station, I called every scene before they came along; however, I knew what I was getting into and to be quite frank, I enjoyed the ride. Even had a nightmare about an evil robot chasing me down the following night!

Overall, a shit film with a shit plot, yet exactly what I was looking for that night. Nothin' quite like a cheesy ol' sci-fi flick!

4.5/10

You mean, like, a stable genius?

sorry, didn't mean for the kanye quote to be taking literal.

if you would like to hip me to a "stable genius" go ahead. i hope to learn about some rad, smart person i was previously unaware of when i check back o/

Last edited:
The Killing of a Sacred Deer & Ingrid Goes West. I enjoyed both of them quite a bit. Looking forward to more from both Yorgos Lanthimos (loved The Lobster and still need to see Dogtooth!) and Matt Spicer. I'm not always a fan of Miss Plaza but she was fantastic in Ingrid.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

I really enjoyed this film, I hadn't realized that Hepburn's character essentially equated to being a high class whore/party girl before viewing it. The male counterpart was refreshing and identifiable. I had no idea films like this were popular in the early 60s. Hepburn does a great job of making you feel like she isn't a whore, but rather an eccentric spirit.

Pretty enjoyable overall, if a bit slow at times. Cliche ending, but eh, who cares?

6.5/10

Gangs of New York

This film had so many big names; Liam Neeson of course reprises his get-murdered-off role that he used to do so often prior to his action gun-fu hero flicks he primarily stars in now lol. This film seems to really feel prescient right now, with our nation's fear of immigrants (tho really, has that ever not been a thing in America? We're the walking definition of xenophobes) and the rampant violence associated with such sentiments. Daniel Day Lewis gave an especially strong performance, making you forget about every other actor when he was on the screen. DiCaprio is a bit tired to me now, though his acting was solid in this. Enjoyed as I always do seeing John C. Riley take on a completely different role, really makes me realize just how adaptable he really is.

Very worthwhile to watch, though very drug out and longer than necessary. Highly recommend it if you've got 3 hours to sink into a film sometime. Currently on both Netflix and Prime!

7.5/10

Blue Velvet

Lynch at his most un-disturbing I might argue. I really enjoyed this film. The soundtrack was spot on, first time A. Badalamenti collaborated with Lynch, which turned into a beautiful partnership. Seeing the baby faced actors was a joy, Lynch ends up using the same people so often throughout his films. All the acting was fantastic, particularly by the guy who played Frank Booth. This was easily the most straight-forward plot of any Lynch work I've seen to date, and for that, it was immensely enjoyable. I could see film/sound techniques that were going to come to fruition in Twin Peaks, and enjoyed their earlier use. If you like some of Lynch's work, but hate how disturbing/muddled it can be at times, this is the film for you!

8/10

Last edited:
The Hateful Eight

This movie caught a lot of flak when it came out for being too dull, long, and vulgar; I disagree with that sentiment though. There was indeed a scene that seemed too vulgar at one point, but it is my understanding that it was a lie one character used to goad another. Anyhow, the film takes place primarily in one small haberdashery, with all the main characters trapped together inside due to a blizzard. None of them is likable, they all have their crimes and deserve their punishment; yet, some are more sadistic than others. A lot of big names were in the film, even Channing Tatum which I found extra amusing heh. The plot is actually quite slow building, as it's dialogue entirely until about halfway through the film, unlike the usual Tarantino bloodshed occurring every few minutes. The second half of the film is full of over the top blood and gore that you've all come to expect from this director.

I've heard it said that Quentin needs to stop stroking his ego and try to come up with something fresh and new for once, which i'm beginning to agree with. This film doesn't feel all that different from his last five or so films, and I must admit, I think all his prior films were better than this one. None the less, it was a good film, and I had no trouble sitting through all three hours of it as long as I kept myself stocked with snacks and drink. If you've liked previous Tarantino films, chances are you'll like this one too.

7/10

Guys...Lady Bird is really fucking good. I've not enjoyed watching a movie this much since Sing Street.

I?m going to try to see 3 Billboards and Shape of Water soon, but it?s hard to imagine anything overtaking LB at this point.

Do! 3 Billboards is amazing. :)

Initially assumed Ladybird was about Ladybird Johnson ( like every other idiot ;)) ...I actually only watched it based on your recomendation. It was exceptionally sweet. I liked it on that basis. :)

The Shape of Water

Actually it was Guillermo del Toro (Gomez) and he also did Pan's Labyrinth (astounding).
th

Was obviously a type-O ( slight brain-fart) - you grade A muppet. :p;) ( you're obviously a Trump supporter).

Really, thanks for the pic bro - enlightening!

Have you seen The Orphanage, or The Devils Backbone btw..?

Despite your lack of feedback, will volunteer mine ( bias is free) for anyone who is thinking of going to see it -Go. See it.

It was beautiful aesthetically, aurally, sentimentally; across the board -good story - not as nuanced as PL, but G. del Torro's subtext is politically clear - which is what I like about G. del Torro - im slightly in love with his subtext, every time I watch his films.

Last edited:
When you say you liked it on that basis, do you mean you had other significant problems with it? I try not to be a prisoner of the moment but I do sometimes get carried away when a movie strikes an emotional chord with me. And I do have a proclivity for coming of age tales.

Status
Not open for further replies.