Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Gun

Seen it a few times before, but only when I was younger. Tom Cruise is starting to become a favorite of mine, mostly because I rewatched Eyes Wide Shut again the same night. I've heard it argued that this movie is about Tom Cruise trying to figure out if he's gay lol. Same with Eyes Wide Shut. The argument holds fast more for Top Gun, but I don't think that was the true point. I really enjoyed Top Gun this time 'round, and the Kenny Logins/Berlin songs were fantastically applied. Not the best of films, but extremely enjoyable for what it is. Will definitely be watching again and again.

7.5/10

Eyes Wide Shut

Words cannot describe how deep and meaningful I find this film. It's Kubrick's crowning achievement, even over Clockwork Orange and 2001 and Barry Lyndon, and I do not say that lightly. If you haven't seen this movie, see it. Especially if you're married/in a long term relationship. No other film speaks to me about marriage like this one does. I never knew Tom Cruise could act until this film.

Also, Nicole Kidman. 'Nuff said.

10/10

Tom Cruise does routinely deliver solid, entertaining movies. Every once in a while he'll be in a terrible movie, like The Mummy from just last year. Not long after that American Made came out and seemed to quickly redeem him. If you like the Mission: Impossible movies then definitely check out Fallout. See it in the theater if possible.

You may have already seen them, but if you don't want a Tom Cruise action movie and want to see more of his acting chops then check out Vanilla Sky and Magnolia. His character in Magnolia is very different than other characters he's played.

I've heard Tom Cruise, the actor, is very professional and he routinely does the majority of his stunts. Tom Cruise, the person, seems kind of like a weirdo. All the scientology stuff doesn't help with that.

As for Top Gun and Tom Cruise possibly being gay, the volleyball scene certainly made that a more legitimate question. Plus many of the scenes include overly sweaty men in close quarters. When in Rome?

Does she read Sutter Cane?
I wouldn't mind if she did and ended up living the horror story she's reading. =D

Darkest Hour - meant to see this while it was out in the theater and the night I went to go see it, it was sold out, so I went to see Molly's Game with Jessica Chest-ain instead. Fantastic movie. Gary Oldman just has an uncanny ability to even physically resemble historical characters he plays.

I watched every single Star Wars movie over the past two weeks. Seen them all many times before, but I'm on a Star Wars kick lately so... yeah.

Anyways, my ranking of them, from best to worst:

1) Revenge of the Sith
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Solo
4) The Return of the Jedi
5) A New Hope
6) Attack of the Clones
7) The Phantom Menace
8) Rogue One
9) The Last Jedi
10) The Force Awakens

I really hated TFA, and it makes no sense to me that people were up in arms over TLJ.

I LOVED Solo, yet people hate that one too, if not most of all??

I heard they're postponing/cancelling all stand-alone films, and I'm real bummed. Rogue One wasn't bad and Solo was pretty good... I wanted to see an Obi-Wan anthology film, and a Boba Fett film. And a Vader hunting down the last jedi sans Kenobi/Yoda. And a Luke Skywalker anthology film, maybe where he's started the new academy but before Ben fell to the dark side? So much potential could be lost because people inexplicably hated Solo? Ugh...

I didn't know that had been adapted to the small screen. I loved the Bill Hodges trilogy.

...apparently Season 2 has started...am just on Ep. 5 of the first season - so, so good!:)

No Estamos Solos (We are not Alone) - Peruvian horror film. Classic haunted house/possession story in the mold of The Exorcist. ​Very effective and chilling.

Stumbled across this in a Horror Review Show...definitely going to force my friend; who is terrified of supernaturally-themed-horror, to watch this with me, forthwith!!!

was expecting some flack on that one. i?m sure tribal girl would weigh in as well, if she were still around.

hehe
Aww wonder how TG is...Definitely would have ganged-up on ya! ;)<3

Saw Christopher Robin in the movie theater today...

...If you like Winnie the Pooh (and if you don't you may be a terrible person, sorry) or like good movies then I also highly recommend a much more realistic movie and unfortunately, much sadder, which is Goodbye Christopher Robin...
It's interesting how so much pain could exist behind something that brings so many other people happiness.
Saw the WtP trailer...actually looks brilliant (albeit the Pooh animation was slightly eerie - can see how a Pooh v.s Chuckie, movie wouldn't be an unapt concept, in the future!)

Last edited:
Hellboy

Not seen it before. It was alright. Don't think I'll bother with the sequel, though

Just watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist on Netflix.

It wasn't bad But it certainly wasn't good. If we're talking teenage, coming of age/emotional/romantic films, it's pretty low on my list. And I'm a fuckin' aficionado for those kinda films. I have a sweet spot for Michael Cera for some reason so I couldn't just say it was bad.

5/10 tho. Only worth the first watch. Next time I drink I'ma watch Adventureland or Perks of Being A wallflower instead to wallow in my self pity.

The Tales of Hoffman. Visual candy store. Audial, buttered-popcorn feast. The point of it which is like the Bible; as read by Jung (and were it interpreted by Kant and drawn by Kandinsky), only gayer. :)

Last edited:
I watched every single Star Wars movie over the past two weeks. Seen them all many times before, but I'm on a Star Wars kick lately so... yeah.

Anyways, my ranking of them, from best to worst:

1) Revenge of the Sith
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Solo
4) The Return of the Jedi
5) A New Hope
6) Attack of the Clones
7) The Phantom Menace
8) Rogue One
9) The Last Jedi
10) The Force Awakens

I really hated TFA, and it makes no sense to me that people were up in arms over TLJ.

I heard they're postponing/cancelling all stand-alone films, and I'm real bummed. Rogue One wasn't bad and Solo was pretty good... I wanted to see an Obi-Wan anthology film, and a Boba Fett film. And a Vader hunting down the last jedi sans Kenobi/Yoda. And a Luke Skywalker anthology film, maybe where he's started the new academy but before Ben fell to the dark side? So much potential could be lost because people inexplicably hated Solo? Ugh...

that certainly is a unique list.

Mine would be something like

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Solo
8. The Last Jedi
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

tbh, I'm only set on 1-5. The ones at the bottom change for me depending on how I'm feeling at the moment. For a long time I probably would have put Last Jedi dead last. I struggle with the fact that it is technically well made, and does have a few great scenes. But the film overall...Christ....just the idea of it.

^TLJ did massively blow. And poor Carrie Fisher...

I liked it though because Luke acted exactly how I would have in his shoes. He acted human. Idk what people thought he was supposed be like. Also, Kylo Ren became less of a bitch in TLJ, and I really liked that. When he smashed up his helmet it gave me great joy. Other than the actual character development, the film sucked. But it developed more than TFA did, that's for sure. TFA was so one dimensional it hurt.

The prequels are my preferred trilogy now because of the content they brought to the table. They brought an expanded Jedi order, none of this woe-is-me all the Jedi are dead shite. Revenge of the Sith being the best because of how it really tied things together. Also, Ewan McGregor is the best thing that happened to Star Wars movies imo, he brought a lot to the table. And the fact that Samuel L. Jackson is in the prequels always makes me chuckle heheh.

It's my opinion that without the prequels, we wouldn't have much of the best SW content that we do now, such as KOTOR and many of the other games, or The Clone Wars (simply a fantastic series, easily the best of the Star Wars TV/movies, I'd put it at the top of the list if we're lumping in the tv shows).

For me, character/lore development reigns supreme in Star Wars, and the prequels focused on that much more than the original trilogy or the new trilogy. Solo also focused on that, hence my high praise. I don't really understand how people could have hated Solo, it was really well done, and this coming from someone who hated Star Wars just a year ago because of how bad the other new films were.

Last edited:
LilyCAT_cover_c.JPG

Anyone seen this before? I got about 2/3rds of the way through it last night, it's on Amazon Prime atm. Had to turn it off for the night and chill out, it was a bit gruesome at one point and I realized just what was starting to go on and figured I'd save it for daylight lol.

i just watched it on a plane and thoroughly enjoyed it.

i'm not sure how i would rank them all but rogue one would probably be my #1 with the last jedi not far behind...

alasdair

^I'm keen to hear why you would rank TLJ so high among the Star Wars films Ali, do tell.

Or for that matter why you liked Rogue One so much.

A Star is Born was pretty great.

The acting and the soundtrack are the best parts. The story is a little cliche, but that's to be expected with the kind of movie it is.

I just watched Dunkirk. It's a great movie and reminder about those that fought the battle which shapes today's society. Without those brave souls who gave their lives so that we could exist in the world in which we find ourselves today.

american beauty. first film my sister worked on, got to see it early ( against moms wishes ) ;p

sometimes i feel like kevin spacey workin out in his garage, smokin weed... but that dude is creep irl iirc...

Snowpiercer (2013)

I'll start with the cast - Chris Evans (Capt America) as our central character, Ed Harris and John Hurt as the primary figures leading the two factions, then a second tier of actors nearly all of whom you will recognize. So, you start with potential. Plot is that earth has gone into another ice age based on man's efforts to combat global warming and screwing it up. The only people alive on the planet are folks on a train that continiously circles the globe, making water from the snow it collects as it goes around the tracks. The train has cars dedicated to various functions needed for survival, but more importantly, it is set up in a class structure with the tail section full of vagrant deplorables who have revolted a few times but never succeeded in taking over the train. This time, Evans is leading the revolt, a reluctant leader in front of a rag tag group of vagrant-ish folks. They stop and break some Korean security expert out of the jail car to help them get through the doors from one car to the next, but the Korean (and his daughter) are addicts for the current drug de jour made from chemical explosives residue. Hurt is the kindly old man advising Evans and others in the back on survival, Harris is the antagonist who built and runs the train (though we only see him in the closing scenes). Most of the movie is about Evans discovering the slight elevation in class upon advancing to each new car section, interspersed with fight scenes and some on-train propaganda aimed at keeping the citizens under control.

The good - the cast, and some of the imagery (both in the cars, and with the train travelling a snow covered wasteland). The bad - no boobs, poor characters (you can see acting talent stifled or wasted in a lot of scenes), and the Korean who becomes pivotal in the closing scenes has a translating device that is rarely used (can't hear/understand it when it is used, and somehow he always understands everyone's english while only in the last scene does it appear Evans understands his Korean). The ugly - over the top caste system without a lot of explanation (upper class cars show 24/7 luxury and parties that can't possibly be sustained, tail section shown in poverty that is unwarranted given what else is on the train). Harris, in the closing scenes, trying to explain to Evans why the train runs the way it does for the survival of all, which really doesn't hold much water.

Really, I never heard of this in theaters despite the cast. It is apparent why - it sucks. Top to bottom, or should I say 'back of the train to the front' it thoroughly sucks. This isn't B quality, as the production is clearly A quality, but it just.isn't.good. 2/10.

PS - what powers the f'n train?!?!?!

Venom (2018 )

Obligatory outting myself as a Marvel fanboy, but honestly, I never got to Venom and didn't know much of the character other than he fought with Spiderman a bit. This is a pretty solid origins story that explains who/what Venom is, how he got here, and why he is staying. The actor who played the human half of Venom (Tom Hardy) plays the roll exceptionally well. He creates a character we care about, someone seeking to right wrongs, while being weak and often creating wrongs of his own. The premise is an alien life form (Venom) is brought to earth with a few other symbiotes in a hope to help man evolve and survive our destruction of earth. They find the symbiotes cannot survive without a human host, but like most transplants it requires a match. Hardy and Venom accidentally become a match that thrives. Throughout the film there is a balance being sought between the two, Venom looking to destroy things and eat people but starting to like Earth and really liking being with Hardy. Eddie Brock (Hardy's character) gains the strength and power Venom provides but tries to corral it with morals and a sense of right and wrong. There is a great motorcycle chase scene with CGI and a mix between Brock/Venom as they escape bad guys, then a CGI throwdown with the main villian at the end. There's also several decent CGI scenes in between, but never did you feel like it had gone hokey or was poorly or over-done. And, it's not all action. The film does a real solid presentation of Brock's soft side with a girlfriend on-off throughout the film that doesn't come off too peripheral nor as a major plot aspect, just enough to keep him 'human'. I'll give it a 7/10, good spend of an afternoon for some guy time.

Status
Not open for further replies.