Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, it?s not.

The Kindergarten Teacher

isn?t so much about obsession. more about the disparity between the ability to appreciate fine art and the ability to create it. which is a relatable topic. maybe the director struggles with it.

Last edited:
^ what year/actors, etc? I need to be occupied during Xmas and I love your recommends.

Spider-man - Into the Spiderverse (2018 )

I came home exclaiming this is one of the best films I've seen in a LONG time. First the choice to do it with animation - an absolute must. The budget would gave been insane to pull this off as live action, given the story line and effects, so in that they made the right choice. With that choice, it limited something, but opened up a lot of other ones. First the opportunity to give it a comic book texture rather than a Pixar style smoothness. It took about 20min for me to adjust to blurred backgrounds (kept thinking it was a 3D effect intended where you don't where glasses, but it was intentional to match how comic books may not define the background distinctly and keep your focus on characters who remained clear and in focus). This also means there are action sequences and fights that get very comic-booky, which created sometimes a 'yeah, that fits this texture and story' and sometimes created a 'disappointing cheapness for a film'. All in all, it worked, and worked well. Sound track was a bit eclectic, IMO. Not themed like a collection of 80's songs in some movies - all were current artists and tracks, and all fit the scenes very well, but I don't see people buying the soundtrack - just the single tracks that appeal to them. Still, it was all good and apt for the scenes. For the story, in a nutshell Kingpin is trying to build a super collider that will pull multiple universes together so he can recover his family that he lost in this dimension. The first test of it has Goblin push Spider-man into it, resulting in a half dozen spider-men getting pulled into our dimension. Plot follows that the handful team up and try to get home while destroying the collider. Not too deep, not too shallow for a comic book story, but it's enough to support the 2h film (yes, 2h for animation - it's not just a kids film, though there were a ton of kids brought to it). The real meat of the 2h is actually filled with our central character, Miles Morales, a young teen who also gets bit by a spider and gains powers albeit slightly different than Peter Parker. The film really focuses on Miles, being a smart teen, discovering powers, meeting Peter Parker (who then dies and asks Miles to destroy the collider), discovering the other spider-men, coming of age and saving the day with the team. It does a very, very good job with characters - Miles in particular. Even if you know nothing of anyone beyond Peter Parker, you'll enjoy the cast of characters here. The concept of a multi-verse isn't too far fetched to grasp for younger audiences, keeping the story plausible, but all the spider-men come with their own uniqueness and how their dimension is different. I won't spoil the spider-men characters, but even the smallest (wtf kinda) versions have a few good lines and don't distract. You may recognize a few voices (Liev Shreiber as Fisk-Kingpin, Nicholas Cage as one of the smaller character spider-men, and Lily Tomlin as Aunt May who is actually a cool kick-ass rather than a naive old lady - there are others, but these stood out to me, though none storm through the screen, they fit nicely into their roles). With the parallel dimensions, we have Miles have an uncle issue (like Uncle Ben...hey, so did Luke Skywalker, hmmm). There are other parallels, as to be expected, as well as a few other villians thrown in that are not as expected from our traditional spider-man universe of one, but it all works. Highly recommend this one. 9/10 (I never give a 0 or a 10).

^ what year/actors, etc? I need to be occupied during Xmas and I love your recommends.
strange, thought i heard about this one from you. i saw the 2018/maggie version. last line of my micro-review was a dig, but still worth watching if you're going through a bunch of netflix instant films. honored.

It (2017)

saw this a while ago while stuck on an island with my father's brothers and sister. on an old tv with terrible shadows. my uncles and aunt are funny people, and it was a lot of fun to watch in that setting.

The House That Jack Built

The_House_That_Jack_Built.png

First of all the story itself it's a bit weird in terms of illogical manners, as I watched the film I didn't know why Jack commited those killings and his backgrounds but this is where it falls into the spectators arms it let's you choose why he does them. It has about 2,5h and a lotta fuckin violence done with purpose. For my eyes it was a good dark one and the OCD fuck yeah. This is where you will see few interestings things

Last to mention > You will not even know that you saw violence because of the intelligence and the blackness that it's veiled into

Just watch it and draw your own landscape it's worth.

Last edited:
The_House_That_Jack_Built.png

First of all the story itself it's a bit weird in terms of illogical manners, as I watched the film I didn't know why Jack commited those killings and his backgrounds but this is where it falls into the spectators arms it let's you choose why he does them. It has about 2,5h and a lotta fuckin violence done with purpose. For my eyes it was a good dark one and the OCD fuck yeah.

Last to mention > You will not even know that you saw violence because of the intelligence and the blackness that it's veiled into

Props to Lars as he put some demons of his there

inane. a worn out story. person does wrong to gain what they desire in life. they end up cursed to suffer a fate worse than death as everything they value crumbles. this film adds nothing to that storyline. people i watched it with described it as "disturbing." i don't know how it effected anything in anyone but boredom.

strange, thought i heard about this one from you. i saw the 2018/maggie version. last line of my micro-review was a dig, but still worth watching if you're going through a bunch of netflix instant films. honored.

Honour worthy, of course. :|:)

...I rekon it may have been CTC that recommended it, but not too sure.

Based on your review, that looks fab - awesome recommend mate ;)

Was at a mates and this was on, still love it. =D

^Lol @ Willow. Only time I saw it I was frying hard on 25i with a bunch of people and my friend kept saying, "When's Val Kilmer gonna show up?"

I saw Mary Queen of Scots (2018)8)8)8 ) at the cinema last night. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. The rather unnecessary addition of a number of black and asian actors as well as a rather odd sub-plot really put a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, it didn't ruin the film. Just unnecessary. The film was supposed to take place in the late 16th century in England after all.

I'd give it a 5/10. I didn't feel like I wasted my money (wife did enjoy it) but I wouldn't see it again. Overall it just seemed to plod along, I didn't feel invested in it.

Last edited:
Just watched Blade (1998). I actually quite enjoyed it. As far as vampire films go, I feel it stood apart. The special effects were fantastic, especially considering their age at this point. Acting was good too, with Wesley Snipes killing it as Blade. The ending was a bit lackluster, but overall I enjoyed the film. Worth a watch if you're into action flicks.

7/10

^Lol @ Willow. Only time I saw it I was frying hard on 25i with a bunch of people and my friend kept saying, "When's Val Kilmer gonna show up?"

I saw Mary Queen of Scots (2018)8)8)8 ) at the cinema last night. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. The rather unnecessary addition of a number of black and asian actors as well as a rather odd sub-plot really put a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, it didn't ruin the film. Just unnecessary. The film was supposed to take place in the late 16th century in England after all.

I'd give it a 5/10. I didn't feel like I wasted my money (wife did enjoy it) but I wouldn't see it again. Overall it just seemed to plod along, I didn't feel invested in it.

Willow is the shit - your friend obviously caught the stupid for not appreciating the splendid, wonder of little people and is a Nelwin-ist, bigoted Daikini.:p

Yeah, tbf I thought the MQoS trailer insinuated to what you described in your post.
As period films go,The Favourite looks quite entertaining, though... it's rare I go to the movies but think Asclepius may be taking a trip the picture-house soon, for this one.

Last edited:
Bumblebee

I liked it. Loved that it seemed to be set years back.. back when I was a young adult. I don't think there was a single modern song. The whole feel of the movie went back. It was a little cheesy, but idk that felt good. It had the feel of a movie from near the age it was set. It had the feel of a movie.

^ ...

Taxi Driver

...saw this for the gazillionth time. Still a beauty.

Last edited:
Split (2016)

Less about Shamalan for me, as he has traditionally not been up to the hype, IMO. A little bit about following a trilogy storyline arc. A lot about seeing what James McAvoy brings to the role. For those unaware, the first story was Unbreakable (2000), where Bruce Willis believed himself to be impervious, and he consulted with Mr. Glass (Samuel L Jackson) who expressed belief certain people are born 'different' and capable of more than regular humans. Move ahead to this film, and we have McAvoy playing a person of 23 multiple personalities, one of which abducts 3 girls for some purpose. As the plot evolves, certain personalities take dominance, and are in prepration for a 24th, as yet undiscovered, personality of 'the beast'. Throughout, we focus on one of the girls, Casey Cooke (Anya Taylor-Joy) and how the different personalities present themselves to the girls and her in particular. Cut to the chase, the 24th personality arrives, and appears to 'change' McAvoy into another form of superhuman. I'll not ruin it with spoilers, but say it does set up well for the third film, Mr. Glass (2019) both with where it leaves the characters at the end of Split as well as the cameo put in at the end. Overall, very watchable, but not incredible. Great filming (light, colors, camera angles), good story (believable, up to you to believe the beast's abilities), and keeps your interest with suspense and small jumps throughout. Very little of a horror film, very much of a suspense film in the middle of a sequence...though it can stand well on it's own, if you can leave the open ending that was made for the last film. I'll give this one a 6.5/10, but McAvoy brings it up to an 8/10.

42 (2013)

The story of Jackie Robinson as played by Chadwick Boseman. For someone who doesn't love baseball, it was pretty good as the film focused primarily on his personal course through the minors, getting called up, and facing the racism of the era. The story made it clear, it wasn't his idea, but he was fully aware of what he was being asked to face and why, and what was expected of him in order to break down the color barrier. Actually, the second most dominant actor in the film is Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey, manager for the Brooklyn Dodgers asking Jackie to do this. Jackie's wife also plays a dominant role, but more as a reflection of his personal support system, that he wasn't alone and their discussions also offer the viewers a chance to take the wife's role in terms of hearing Jackie's inner thoughts and offering encouragement. The film has a few moments, like when Jackie loses it after being called names incessantly by rival ball coaches, and the subsequent support he garners from his team who had been mixed in wanting him there to that point. Of course, Ford shows up immediately after to remind him this is bigger than just himself, as a means of keeping focus for Jackie. The film closes with a nice reflection on many of the key persons in the true history. Film quality was good - showing the era with appropriate clothes, scenery, and cultural attitudes across the spectrum. Not a lot was done beyond propper setting, because ALL of the focus is on the story (not explosions, or aliens, or anything else). As such, it does a wonderful job of bringing history to life. The baseball scenes were limited primarily to mechanisms to progress the story, so they weren't distracting or annoying to non-baseball fans, but were an integral part of understanding where Jackie was emotionally and mentally at any given time, and why. Overall, I would recommend with 7.5/10

A Quiet Place (2018)

I was looking for a horror film, this wasn't it. There is a good attempt at suspense, but it ends up short and we're left with some potential that never delivered, IMO. The cast did well, making the most of the story and conveying it solidly. Base storyline is a new creature (alien?) has taken over the earth. These creatures have a mouth (lotta teeth) and exceptional hearing, but no eyes. They hunt by sound and as such the world has gone largely silent. There's a few kills in the film, but nothing bloody or gory. The film follows a family trying to survive in this world, consisting of mom, dad, teenage (deaf) daughter, a son about 9, and a son about 4. Dad is somehow very smart and is always tweaking hearing aides in an attempt to help his daughter. Inner turmoil occurs when one of the kids is killed by the creatures, and who feels the blame, but this is minor. Ultimately the film leaves a lot of questions - we never know why or how the aliens arrived, we just pick up with the fact they are here. We never understand why the dad is so smart, but seems to miss a few obvious things. And of course, the ending was cut where it was simply to save money and not 'show' what happens to them but gives you a decent enough idea. All in all, not a good film. Good acting, but poor on story, logic, believability, and general enjoyment as horror, suspense, or even sci-fi. 4/10.

As period films go,The Favourite looks quite entertaining, though... it's rare I go to the movies but think Asclepius may be taking a trip the picture-house soon, for this one.

Yeah I'm with you sleepyus, I wanna go see this one too, looks funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.