Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
0.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kid_(2010_film)

Based on a true story, enjoyable.

American Splendor - Probably my favorite Paul Giamatti movie (although I haven't seen Sideways all the way through yet, which is still on my To-Watch list). It's an oddly uplifting movie in a weird, depressing kind of way.

+1 on American Splendour
...also regarding 'Sideways'- Mc Grunge, the funniest part is yet to come; get your ass on to watching the rest of it, guaranteed good bit coming up toward the end!!! ;)

Last edited:
The Help

Not my first choice in movies but it was interesting. Makes me wonder how correctly it portrayed the times as I really don't know much about the 1950s/60s South. Held my interest though and was humorous when it tried to be.

Into%20The%20Universe%20With%20Stephen%20Hawking%202010.jpg

This one dealt with basically the big bang theory/ how the universe willed itself into existence.... Interesting, somewhat mind blowing(even more so under the right conditions:) , but no sale!

The Usual Suspects

(SPOILER ALERT...a big one, if you haven't seen it)

NSFW:
Man, this was the first time I've seen it, but I was already well-aware of its reputation for having a crazy twist ending, so the entire time I spent it trying to figure out who Soze was. So, of course, I figure out that its Spacey before the movie was even close to finished, which really took me out of the mystery. It was a good movie overall, but I think I would have enjoyed it about 1000x more if I had gone into it blind.

submarine2.jpg

Submarine, would have been funnier if I was 10 years younger. Getting a bit to old for the 'coming of age' type movies. Still good though.

Jarhead (2005)

Saw this last night, another Jake Gyllenhaal movie. This one also had Jamie Foxx. Was better than I thought it would be, as I thought it was going to simply be another war movie. Didn't realize that a large part of it was the fact that the soldiers weren't fighting.

Definitely a good story. Seems like it's hard to find your place and make your mark in the world even if you're in company with a group that is going to tell you exactly what to do. The movie gave a good look at what it's like in the life of a marine when stationed overseas for months at a time. Their biggest battles were with themselves and finding the motivation to go on while they're losing their life back home and becoming marginalized in modern warfare.

^ Never seen Dark Knight? Dude, if you liked Begins, you're in for a fucking treat.

oh my god. the dark knight is the best batman movie ever made.

:eek: :eek:

I shall hopefully see it soon, I've been waiting a while.

I was originally going to see it in the movie theater, but my girlfriend at the time saw it with her family and didn't like it much, so she didn't really want to sit through it again sinice it was "kind of long". Should have broken up with her right then. ;) 8)

It's also been quite annoying because I don't want the movie ruined for me, so I try to stay away from conversations/clips/etc. that are about the movie. It's been most difficult.

Last edited:
Everything Must Go

Ever since Stranger Than Fiction I've been waiting for Will Ferrell to make another foray into dramas, so I had really high expectations for this one. The story itself was kinda bland, but the acting was great (Ferrell especially). It didn't totally meet my expectations, but it certainly wasn't a bad viewing experience.

4mg5C.jpg

It was bad.

In an awesome way. The movie was cheesy and the smaller-roll acting was bad but I thought the writing (jokes) was good. Although I saw it sober it's a stoner film, imo. Plenty of chuckles from beginning to end, fun movie.

^i like how they dedicated about equal space to the actual title of the movie and letting people know that it is associated with Napoleon Dynamite.

The Long Goodbye

i'm always excited to see the movie after i've read the book. for the interpretation of and commentary on the book within the movie. but it had been a while since i'd read it. i liked the book a little. i did not like the movie. the voice was not nearly as well tuned as in the book--and that's really all there is to either of them. though i did like two scenes with the gangster augustine. maybe there were only two scenes with him. but both were spine-tinglying strange and great (reminded me of lynch). it's weird, those two scenes were of such higher quality than the rest of the movie. seems not to be all that rare in film.

about striking and purposeful deviations from the book:
well altman was definitely commenting on the book in what he decided to change. meaning this movie is very much meant to be seen only after reading. a huge thing in the book is how strange and randomly started the relationship between marlowe and lennox is. marlowe decides to help this random other schmuck, and it is a huge part of his characterization. they are already friends when the movie starts, and their roots are questioned but never explained. also, the book actually has a mystery for the reader to follow. altman intentionally made it so the viewer could not play along. things are just told to the viewer. minus seeing some entrance ways that let the viewer know the obvious, there are no clues. and then in the end, the few clues and the mystery turn out to be all bullshit. the whole story and characterization of marlowe is intentionally thrown away with a gunshot. strange.

certainly not one of my favorite altman's.

Last edited:
watched soul surfer last night (with the fiance) she liked it.. very cheesy/corny but it does spread a good message I suppose.. I rate it a 4.5/10 ..
not recommended. have a good one yall!

How about a magic trick?

The Dark Knight 2008

Holy shit! This movie was awesome! I'm going to try to watch it again in the next few days. I don't even know what to say, just that I wish I saw this in theaters as I had originally planned.

I'm totally yelling at her if I ever see the girl I was dating who didn't want to see The Dark Knight again because she thought it was long and boring.

Edit:

Watched it again tonight. Fucking awesome! I'm more than halfway through reading the actual thread dedicated to this film on BL.

No one has mentioned that Dibo from Friday is the black dude that takes the detonator on the boat. Figured he would have just stole it, good old Dibo.

Last edited:
Buried (2010)

Wasn't expecting much from this, just wanted to see a suspenseful movie, and this delivered. Ryan Reynolds is a non-military contractor in Iraq and wakes up buried in a coffin after his truck convoy was ambushed. Was a good 90 minute thrill ride.

I've never seen Ryan Reynolds in a serious role before, but I thought he did a great job, especially considering he was the only person ever actually on screen. Quite a long way from Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place (I will be quite tickled if anyone gets that reference) ;)

SPOILERS!!!:
NSFW:
The movie did a decent job of showing the anxiety of being trapped in a coffin, but that freaked me out when the snake was in there. I don't think I could have dealt with that. I suppose if I had taken the pills for anxiety it would have helped a lot, but I am so afraid of snakes. That scene bugged me out.

ENDING SPOILERS:

I was thinking how this movie would be way more realistic if he dies in the end, but I didn't think he'd actually die. That was a pretty depressing end. No one, except his wife, actually cared that he was trapped. Everyone else just cared that the news didn't get leaked and about insurance type stuff. I knew as soon as his employer started recording their phone conversation that he should have just told him to fuck off and hung up.

twenty_one_ver2.jpg

Not bad for the $5 I spent to buy it years ago. Doubt I'll rewatch it, let alone keep it. Not enough character development for me. It just seemed like another shallow action flick, except this time about counting cards... I did like "the switch" at the end though--That was unexpected.

Good acting by Jude and Mr. Burnham though. ;)

Hanna

AWESOME freaking movie.
I recommend it.
I'm not really an action movie kinda girl, but it was bad ass.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Fucking hilarious. Just...wow, a great movie.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Fucking hilarious. Just...wow, a great movie.
Been wanting to watch that one again. Thankfully I own it--I just wanna watch it with someone and share the uncontaminated goodness of it, but everyone's turned off by it either being about the Cold War or by it being in black and white... People suck, 'cause it's an excellent movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.