Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw The Town tonight. Came into it without any expectations other than lolBenAffleck but it was actually pretty entertaining. Per usual, I was rooting for the bad guys and several moments evoked some emotions within me, which is all you can really ask for out of a film. It was suspenseful and kept my attention throughout. Definitely recommended.

Yeah I thought it was gonna be another Ben Affleck winner.. but it turned out to be a pretty awesome movie

I just finished Fright Night (the new one). It was a weak vampire movie. The "gore" was limited to blood spatter from neck bites. My suggestion is to download it and save your money for something else

big people...
Tobey Maguire... Jake Gyllenhaal... Natalie Portman
i guess lots of movies have big people, but i hadn't ever heard of Brothers. so the comment made sense inside my head.

For Your Consideration

more of the same from Christopher Guest and his crew. but not up to par with his goodies like Waiting for Gauffman. it got a little better around the hour mark, but that was accompanied with a jarring change in pace. wouldn't really recommend.

The Saddest Music in the World

this was fun and interesting. shot to mimic the look of the silent film era. which is annoying at first, but cool once you get into its grove. explores and tears apart as many aspects of human sadness as it can. including its appeal and marketability. the girl to love is maria de medeiros ("blueberry pancakes" fabienne from Pulp Fiction). she lookes great on grainy black and white, in the dress and dark make-up of an early 30s star. issabella rossellini's performance deserves mention as well.

has some great lines:
NSFW:
"if you're sad and like beer, i'm your lady."

"excuse me, i've been admiring your ear for the past 5 minutes. i find it utterly beautiful. it is perfectly shaped. this one. the left one. i wonder, i wonder if i could whisper something into it. just a little story you might like. would you mind? i won't come too close."
"uh i'm, i'm deaf in that ear. but uh, i can hear just fine in-in the other one."
"no... this is the one i want. you can still feel my breath. imagine what i am telling you."

"if you want me to be your wife, i'm happy to say i'm your wife. if you want us to have a dead son, i have no objection to having one. but really, if he's dead... i don't see what difference it makes."

Last edited:
Super - A really funny, quirky, and dark superhero movie. It's got Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page as two batshit crazy individuals who dress up to fight crime. It's a really interesting take on the superhero flick, and depicts the characters as really disturbed people rather than two ordinary joes "looking to better their community." The line between "hero" and "villain" is really blurred, and the whole time it leaves you questioning just what IS a super hero. I really liked it.

Waiting for Guffman - Finally got around to watching it since I'd seen every other Christopher Guest mockumentary, and I think this one might be my favorite. At least, I did, until I started thinking about how much I love Spinal Tap/Best In Show/A Mighty Wind...now I don't know. Either way, a fucking hilarious movie. It made me want to go out and find some "My Dinner with Andre" action figures.

American Splendor - Probably my favorite Paul Giamatti movie (although I haven't seen Sideways all the way through yet, which is still on my To-Watch list). It's an oddly uplifting movie in a weird, depressing kind of way.

galaxy-quest.jpg

I love this movie.. So random and the noise the Thermians make is too funny

Great movie to watch stoned

^ that is a really great satire. the cast is just perfect.

alasdair

True Romance- I'm still trying to decide where I stand with this movie. Don't get me wrong, there are some incredible scenes in the movie, but some spots felt really heavy-handed. The story I didn't think was anything special, kind of a typical Bonnie and Clyde flick (I see a lot of Natural Born Killers in it), but I was glad that it had a happy ending, which is unusual for me because normally I find those saccharine kind of happy endings to be really lame, but it felt like the characters earned it. The scenes with Gandolfini and Walken were fucking awesome, but their characters weren't developed or integrated into the story very well - they were just kinda there, then they weren't. So, I dunno. I'm not a huge Tony Scott fan, but the idea of a Tarantino-written script was enough to entice me, but I felt like all the hype surrounding it is a little misplaced. I would give it a 7/10.

I watched the new Planet of the Apes last night. Does anyone happen to know how James Franco keeps getting lead roles in major movies?

Just watched Dead Man since everyone in the Johnny Depp thread seemed to think it was so cool. I really liked it: good cast, excellent music, good cinematography, good...everything. It was a good movie. I've heard of Jim Jarmusch before, but never seen a movie of his until this one (I did see about 10 min. of Ghost Dog and was really underwhelmed so I turned it off), so now I think I'll look into some of his other films.

Dead Man is pretty great. When I first saw it I had to rush to the computer to learn how to play the sound track on the guitar

^ Yeah, Neil Young did a helluva job on the soundtrack.

I just watched It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and despite it basically just being a mindless, slapstick comedy, I really enjoyed it. There was some good direction in this film (there's also a lot of cheese, but it didn't really detract from anything), especially during the wacky car chase at the end.

Hanna 2011 Action film

Last movie I saw was Hanna. The following link should tell ya a bit about it + a trailer if it may ticklyour fancy.

http://www.google.com/#q=hanna+2011;vr:i=1

I'm on my cell so my apologies if link is incomplete, etc.

I liked it. It was different, kept me interested, wasn't terribly predictable. It was intense and violent but not gory (sp?). I hate overly graphic media. The visual picture was lovely and great to see on a big screen. STILL enjoyable on a laptop.... I have seen it on both. ;)

Anyone else have thoughts on Hanna? (2011)

I found Hanna to be very boring. I couldn't watch it all the way through and just skipped to the ending sequence. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but I do believe that it belongs in that slippery subcategory of thrillers that are overly stylized and otherwise pretty bland. It's hard to tell with Hanna, though - they hide the stylization pretty well.

Just watched George Clooney in The American. Pretty good, very straightforward.

Batman Begins (2005)

A story of man searching for love and finding it with bats...

I'm glad I FINALLY saw this movie. I've still never seen The Dark Knight :eek:, but now I really want to after seeing how awesome Batman Begins was. I had heard it was a good movie, but I thought it might have been hyped up too much, so I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I liked it more than any of the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney Batman movies. It gave a better background for the Batman persona and did a great job of showing the character development.

^ Never seen Dark Knight? Dude, if you liked Begins, you're in for a fucking treat.

I found Hanna to be very boring. I couldn't watch it all the way through and just skipped to the ending sequence. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but I do believe that it belongs in that slippery subcategory of thrillers that are overly stylized and otherwise pretty bland. It's hard to tell with Hanna, though - they hide the stylization pretty well.

Just watched George Clooney in The American. Pretty good, very straightforward.

*Man, I did NOT enjoy The American. Was perhaps a little TOO straight forward. Little to no action. B-o-r-i-n-g! I regret watching it: I have little free time-could have enjoyed something else... damn.

Note-was ripped while watching Hanna... that makes a bit of a difference, eh? Even weed couldn't help The American, imo...:/

attack-the-block-poster.jpg

Attack the block, kinda 'gremlins in London' was entertaining but nothing more.

galaxy-quest.jpg

I love this movie.. So random and the noise the Thermians make is too funny

Great movie to watch stoned

I just watched this on the strength of your and alasdairm's recommendations, and my thoughts were this: Sigourney Weaver is fucking sexy. That is all.

*Man, I did NOT enjoy The American. Was perhaps a little TOO straight forward. Little to no action. B-o-r-i-n-g! I regret watching it: I have little free time-could have enjoyed something else... damn.

Note-was ripped while watching Hanna... that makes a bit of a difference, eh? Even weed couldn't help The American, imo...:/

Yeah, I don't know why I was bored with Hanna but entertained by The American. It really makes no sense. Maybe I just like George Clooney. Hanna is like The American in pacing, but has this grand scale where it tries to put a whole spy universe into the film. The American tells a simple story about a man at one point in his life, with almost no back story. There aren't any real plot revelations - it just shows a man going about life with his feelings dead, and even though he wants to live he just can't escape his history long enough to escape into a better existence. I like movies about regret, and I think that's what The American is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.