Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

^ OMG this was terrible; seriously cringe-worthy. I'm lucky I watched it in good company and we could at least have a laugh throughout it. Otherwise I'd want that 82 minutes of my life back. I feel so sorry for my flatmate who bought it oin a whim... 0.5/5

babe-of-the-day-final-destination-5-babes-20110810112732148_640w.jpg

Final Destination 5:

Good mindless fun! It was great end to a franchise I have followed for so long. The bridge death scene at the beginning was one of the scariest scenes I have ever seen in a film! Dying is hard!

3.5/ 5

This 30 min documentary on the life of van Gogh was great; it was both tragic and beautiful. Visually stunning, its definitely meant to be watched in high definition. Highly recommended.

van-gogh-brush-genius-blu.jpg

ha, i've seen Grace. i don't remember it very well, but it's unfortunate how horror movies tend to be so terrible.

Salome's Last Dance

i watched some weird movies today. this one was a play within a movie. an oscar wilde play. sandwiched in-between these two cheesy bits of drama featuring oscar wilde (who watches his play performed) and his boyfriend. the presentation of play itself is something strange and wonderful, and it comprises most of the movie.

i would not have minded finding the lead more attractive, but she is great in her role and i wouldn't want it played by anyone else.

"the mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death. one must look only to love."
^could sound all hopeful out of context, but in the movie is denouncing God and praising lust.

Last edited:
Village of the Giants
60s youthploitation/sci-fi flick. could be a Mystery Science Theater 3000 candidate. great soundtrack. but nothing else mentionable about it.

They Live
the social commentary in this one falls short of subtle. bad and boring.

Little Shop of Horrors ('86)
i don't know why i thought i was gonna like this, but i didn't. the plant looked and sounded pretty cool though.

Romeo + Juliet ('96)
hadn't seen this since around when it came out. decided i needed to re-watch--prompted by Joe's mentioning it. very glad i did. this movie is fucking awesome. i feel embarrassed to like it so much, but i do.
it really captures that 90s mtv vibe.
^yes it does. it feels very 90s. and has the energy of that time's young ecstasy culture.

claire danes looks adorable as juliet. she is well matched with leonardo, who plays a screechy but passionate romeo. the movie's style and tone vibrate together from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Yesterday, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button was on T.V. and I finally got to check the movie out. The reason I mention that it was on T.V. is because after commercials it was around 4 hours. Even with its long running time it held my attention in all but a few parts. It’s a clever idea with good execution. Fincher usually does films that I like. It made me want to read the original story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I would recommend if you don’t mind a long movie. 3 ½ stars out of 5.

Jackie Brown - Second viewing. It's a good film, pretty damn good, actually, but I can see why people were disappointed with it after Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

Straw Dogs - Someone mentioned it in the "Disturbing Movies" thread, and I decided to check it out since it was a Criterion film, starred Dustin Hoffman, and was a pretty controversial movie. I don't see what the fuss is about. The movie had a weird sense of pacing and Hoffman was an unbelievable tool for the first hour and a half of the movie. Pretty disappointed by this one.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Terry Gilliam did well. There were a few moments that were unnecessarily drawn-out, and the ending was kinda weak, but overall it's a fun film with fantastic visuals and some good performances...also, Lily Cole is naked/near-naked several times during the movie, so...there's that.

Good horror

Just finished watching 'Insidious', was a great film. A horror that was actually quite scarey, well worth watching.

Hoffman was an unbelievable tool for the first hour and a half of the movie. Pretty disappointed by this one.
i wasn't a fan of Straw Dogs either. i'd say his character is a tool from start to finish.

Phenomena ('85)

i figured it was going to be bad, but directed by dario argento and starring early career jennifer connelly. had to rent it. dario is a great director and a terrible writer. the dialogue is so stiff and informational (isn't there a word for that?). and details of his stories are often awkward and lame. i see he wrote it with another person. didn't help. there is no way they knew who the killer was gonna be when they started writing. when you find out, it feels ridiculous. borrowed from Friday the 13th quite a bit.

the picture is redeeming. jennifer connelly is obviously very pretty. she is always wearing these strange, flowing, all white outfits. and she is quite fair herself. then she wanders through all these dim, murky settings. the end product being frames of this beautiful little apparition moving through dark images. to further the effect, dario does this spotlighting technique where he portraits jennifer with a white light. is something different than the lighting he uses in Suspiria and Inferno, and it works.

Last edited:
went to the art gallery yesterday to watch pandora's box in perfect kind of audience, quiet but responsive.

last night threw in the latest bluray to arrive from quickflix: tangled. disney typical, mandy moore's voice was like nails on chalkboard.

Jane Eyre (2011) didn't know anything about the novel, but it looked pretty. like 1800 style, gloomy English countryside natural and candle/fire lit scenes so i was like "lets go for it!" enjoyable viewing, stars mia something, girl from burton's alice in wonderland. i was kinda like "what's this movie about?" well reading wiki on the book and the themes explored for that time for women i appreciate the film more now, i was kinda there but didn't pick it up as much. \

trailer

Reality Bites (1994)

Was a pretty good film, the last 20 minutes dragged on a bit. Even though I was only about 8 at the time the film was released, I thought it did a good job of capturing the feel of the 1990's. It was a good film for a confused 20 something, like myself, to watch since it was about confused 20 somethings trying to find their place in the world and trying to develop more of an identity after finishing college. Much of the movie is still relevant today even though it had a very mid-90's feel.

One thing that I found funny was that I remember when it was the mid-90's and thinking that we were pretty techologically advanced at the time. It's crazy how in 1.5 decades how much further along we are. A lot of problems in the movie would just not be relatable today. One problem was the characters often had trouble getting a hold of each other or wouldn't know where they were. Nowadays, between cell phones and the internet it's pretty easy to find out where someone is and it's easy to get in touch with someone.

Also, didn't realize how many well-known actors were in it. I knew Winona Ryder was in it, but it also had Janeane Garofalo, Ethan Hawke, Ben Stiller, and Steve Zahn.

Last edited:
Brothers (2009)

Watched Brothers last night. Didn't have much expectations for the movie (actually thought I'd be disappointed with it), so with that in mind it was better than I thought it was going to be. The movie was paced really well and it kept me entertained throughout. I had originally been planning to turn it off around half way through because I was tired, but I kept wanting to see what was going to happen next.

If you don't know the plot it's about a soldier (Tobey Maguire), the good son in the family, who goes over to Afghanistan and is taken prisoner, but everyone else back home believes he is dead. In that time his wife (Natalie Portman) and his brother (Jake Gyllenhaal) start becoming a lot closer and start forming a more intimate relationship.

It got pretty intense at points and it was my first time seeing Tobey Maguire in this type of role. I know him mainly through Spider Man and Pleasantville, but he plays a much darker role here. Great acting in this movie, especially by him and Natalie Portman. The two young girls who were the daughters in the movie also did a great job, especially for being so young.

^big people.

For Those Who Think Young

reminded me of the absurdly sexist, cookie-cutter, french romantic comedies that bardot was so good at. but an american version, with surfing, beach bunnies, and all that fun in the sun. like in all these movies, there's several ridiculous lines about women worth repeating, but i forgot the one i wanted to mention. doesn't take it as far as most of its french counterparts. our lead beauty never even gets slapped (for her own good). guess that makes the movie pretty warm.

supporting actor/esses include gilligan and sara goldfarb. the girl is very tall, brunette, and pretty. bows in her hair with every outfit, even on the beach. my favorite being the one she wears near her neck, on the back of her head, with her hair up--that description make sense?

more of the same, but glad i saw it. pleasant aesthetics. bright, saturated, film-y look of the 60s. almost something you would project on the basement wall during some weird hipster party. pretty colors more than a story.

^big people.

wat

Saw The Town tonight. Came into it without any expectations other than lolBenAffleck but it was actually pretty entertaining. Per usual, I was rooting for the bad guys and several moments evoked some emotions within me, which is all you can really ask for out of a film. It was suspenseful and kept my attention throughout. Definitely recommended.

Last night I watched The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy while tripping.

Will not be making that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.