Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently revisiting F.F. Coppola's Dracula. I hadn't seen it since the 1990s. I didn't realize at the time if my first watch just how trippy the cinematography is.

Ok so I watched " Horrible Bosses 2 "with my wife and we both thought it didn't come close to the first.
On to in my opinion a much better movie , "The Last King of Scotland" in which James Mcavoy and Forrest Whitaker are
absolutley phenomenal !! It's now one of my favorite movies.

Just watched "Ouija" and what a piece of crap! Don't waste your time , definatley not your money unless your a die hard horror fan and just need a fix.

Just watched "Ouija" and what a piece of crap! Don't waste your time , definatley not your money unless your a die hard horror fan and just need a fix.
I saw that, it was not good at all, and had some major plot holes in it. But I watched it since I enjoy horror movies. I recently saw the horror movie deliver us from evil and it was worse than Ouija in many ways.

I also watched the comedy horrible bosses 2. The first movie had some very funny parts, but the sequel was not that funny at all, and should have never been made, but at least I did not pay to see it. I saw the old Aussie movie puberty blues, and that had some funny parts in it, even if it is now dated, but some other parts were boring. You can see that movie on youtube.

I saw that, it was not good at all, and had some major plot holes in it. But I watched it since I enjoy horror movies. I recently saw the horror movie deliver us from evil and it was worse than Ouija in many ways.

I also watched the comedy horrible bosses 2. The first movie had some very funny parts, but the sequel was not that funny at all, and should have never been made, but at least I did not pay to see it. I saw the old Aussie movie puberty blues, and that had some funny parts in it, even if it is now dated, but some other parts were boring. You can see that movie on youtube.

I am going to have to check that movie out, and I will let you know what I think. I tend to like comedies that most people don't though. My friends and I notice for some reason every one of our "all time favorites" are only rated between 1-2 out of 4 stars.

A documentary film called "all this mayhem". Really good, worth checking out

I am going to have to check that movie out, and I will let you know what I think. I tend to like comedies that most people don't though. My friends and I notice for some reason every one of our "all time favorites" are only rated between 1-2 out of 4 stars.

Do you have any examples?

Skyline, great movie except for the fact that the end should be with more spoilers... I'd really would like to see a sequel TBH. :)

Skyline_Poster.jpg

--» Peace o/

RoboCop (2014)

liberal publicity criticizing battle drone technology, as well as big business and the media's influence in politics. i like the message, but it was otherwise another action flick.

Before I Disappear

another mediocre indie flick. all the supporting characters are too thinly developed. the little girl is cute, despite starting out as that compensating-ly prim child trope. like the girl from School of Rock.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Probably the most interesting slasher satire, since Scream.
The first half of the film is great. The second half is watchable.

Lake Placid

I'd always avoided this, because it looked like D-grade shit.
But, it's more like B-grade shit with A-grade actors who intentionally act bad.
It was on in the background, while I was working, and I enjoyed it (I guess).
I'm not too fond of bad films passing themselves of as good films, because they're self-aware.
It was okay, for background fodder.

Spy

Nice to see a comedic actress being cast in a comedic role, rather than just another piece of ass.
Melissa McCarthy, IMO, has phenomenal comic timing and a huge (no pun intended) screen presence.
I thought this movie was hilarious and - unlike Placid - it is an (effective and) original satire.

^
Spy was better than some of her other movies. I really didn't like The Heat, although a number of people seemed to really enjoy it. It was just that she was essentially playing the same character that she played in Bridesmaids and in Identity Thief. Started to seem like a one trick pony. Tammy was so/so, but I found Spy enjoyable.

She just had a supporting role in St. Vincent, but she was funny, and not in the same type of way as Bridesmaids, The Heat, etc. Overall I found that movie enjoyable. Bill Murray definitely helped.

RoboCop (2014)

liberal publicity criticizing battle drone technology, as well as big business and the media's influence in politics. i like the message, but it was otherwise another action flick.

Supposedly there were a number of people involved with the film that were disappointed that they toned it down to get the PG-13 rating. They wanted it to be a little more like the original.

I felt like the original had different messages that they were trying to get across, but in a more veiled way. For example how desensitized people became to the gratuitous violence that was happening daily and happening in front of their own eyes. For example, during a board meeting a robot is brought in for a demonstration to show how safely the robots can operate. There's a slight malfunction and in the robot's "mind" a board member is seen as an enemy. They're unable to turn off the robot or to get it to understand that there is no threat present. So the robot proceeds to shoot up the guy right in front of the rest of the board room. This guy is lit up more than a Christmas tree and everyone pretty much goes on like nothing has happened. The area needed to be cleaned up and the window needed to be fixed, but no one was overly upset that a coworker of theirs was just violently murdered right in front of them. They've been anesthetized to this sort of thing.

Even looking at the procedures that were put in place for the robot gives insight to how they were viewing and hoping to solve the crime problem. The robot wasn't programmed to detain or to arrest. After a short warning period it went straight to loading weapons and firing. Not a warning shot or a single shot to disarm or incapacitate. The robots shot to kill.

It just seemed like the newer version was more straightforward in several regards.

Last edited:
Zeitgeist: the movie

I hadn't watched this in a while.

Quality lampooning of the human race...

It was just that she was essentially playing the same character that she played in Bridesmaids and in Identity Thief. Started to seem like a one trick pony. Tammy was so/so, but I found Spy enjoyable.

Yeah she hasn't got much range. But, for me, it's dramatic actors need to have range.
And even then, if they're good enough, they can sustain an entire career without varying their shtick much.
Anthony Hopkins, for example, has such impeccable timing and such a massive screen presence, he doesn't need to prove himself through transformation.
Same goes for Christopher Walken...

I hadn't heard of Tammy.
I'm going to check it out.

:)

Enemy_poster.jpg

A man seeks out his exact look-alike after spotting him in a movie.

This would have to be the first film i've ever watched, where i had to google an explanation.. and i'm usually very good at understanding film even ones that deal in the abstract. But this really threw me off, infact the more i come back to different scenes in my mind the more it makes sense.. you have to pay so much attention to the subtleties throughout it.

Was it a good film? I thought it was interesting, i think the concept has been done before and in a better way but i enjoyed it. 7/10.

Ex Machina

was a fun idea. geeks in a minimalist super mansion creating and mistreating beautiful, self-aware machines. the movie had a quiet tone that i enjoyed. but nothing happens. i'd have given it another half-hour to flesh out the story a bit. instead, it's a few quick plot surprises with no setup that bring the film to an abrupt end. is that what "deus ex machina" means?

i still enjoyed it. movies about beauty and obsession get me. especially when they include a cute female lead to crush on. "ex machina ava white dress" comes up as a frequent search term on google, but doesn't deliver. i remember she wears it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.