Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Event Horizon last night. I was kinda benzo'd out on etizolam (2-3mg), which was good because it was quite gory and I get squeamish about that. It was so-so. I've seen better sci-fi horror, I've seen worse. Not bad acting though.

6/10

I watched Event Horizon last night. I was kinda benzo'd out on etizolam (2-3mg), which was good because it was quite gory and I get squeamish about that. It was so-so. I've seen better sci-fi horror, I've seen worse. Not bad acting though.

6/10

The whole "Gravity Drive" and Hell dimension were great sci-fi ideas but it was rushed through production after some problems with the movie Titanic when it went way over schedule as they both were from the same studio.

Paul Anderson is a solid director but he was at war with the studio which also contributed to the lack luster result. The original cut was supposed to be 130 mins. Hard to believe it's been 20 years!

MV5BYTM1ZTk0ZDgtNmI1ZS00MjI3LTgyYWEtMWNiNDY5MThmMGRkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^Yeah, I read it was supposed to be more gory and have more explicit details about the drive and what it exactly was. I'm inclined to think hell, it was disturbing enough a movie without the extra gore... still, a director's cut would have been nice, but almost all the spare footage was lost over time.

Last edited:
An arthouse true story called "Loving" about the first interracial couple in America who fought the supreme Court down south for the right to be legally wed no matter what state they live in.
The tragic irony is Loving, the man himself was killed three years later by a hit and run..... his wife never remarried

Spider Man: Homecoming

Surprisingly good. It was cliche much of the time, but did an effective job of hooking me into the plot. Michael Keaton as the mechanized-bird-man type villain was comical, as I could only think about his roll in Birdman when I saw him in it. He played batman back in the Jack Nicholson Joker one and the follow up too heheh. Loved seeing him as the 'working class hero/villain' type. The new spidy-kid was great too. The film had me laughing almost the entire time, constant puns or amusing scenarios, teenage angst and all. I'd highly recommend it if you're even remotely into superhero flicks.

I was a bit lost though because I had only seen Civil War of the many prior films which left some plot points very confusing hahah :|

Overall, a 7.5/10

What We Do In The Shadows
Feb 2015
"A documentary team films the lives of a group of vampires for a few months. The vampires share a house in Wellington, New Zealand. Turns out vampires have their own domestic problems too."
Excellent comedy surrounding vampires and their social circles along with the problems of creating new vampires. Has several members of the HBO show "the flight of the conchords" in the cast, which I'm also partial to.
The jab at New Zealand'ers comes across well along with living for 8,000 years and dealing with humans in general. Soundtrack was above average and contains a couple jewels that slipped into obscurity over the years.
I'm biased but it got great reviews across the board, Winner at the Sundance film festival, SXSW & TIFF. Produced by Funny Or Die. 86 mins.
Trailer v
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/videoplayer/vi2303242009?ref_=tt_ov_vi

MV5BMjAwNDA5NzEwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA1MDUyNDE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Persona

because of Max. is much like 3 Women, exploring identity through female characters blending into one another in mad, dreamlike sequences. talks about truth and the "chasm" between us, like Pierrot le fou describing life as a picture and lamenting our inability to truly know one another's thoughts. beautiful rocky shoreside cinematography like L'Avventura.

Dunkirk

Enjoyed it. Cinematography and mood fit perfect. Painted war in a more realistic way with more gripping, struggle while skipping the grandiosity common in some other war films.

Last edited:
Just saw both Detroit (A++) and The Glass Castle. Detroit was a punch to the gut. The Glass Castle got an A as a movie but only a C when compared to the book it was based on (and that was because the of the ending--it was not so neat and tidy in the book.) I still want to see Dunkirk.

It's sad I know, but the last new film I saw was 2001 A Space Oddessy at the Michael Todd theatre back in the 60's. I've seen quite a few since then, but they weren't 1st run.
My favorite thing was to go to the Biograph for the festivals. Charlie Chaplin, Citizen Kain, Metropolis all in their glorious silver screen beauty!

Most of my modern films are "small screen" experiences.

I too saw Dunkirk this week. Very emotional and gripping film, but very much akin to Saving Private Ryan. The soundtrack was odd but fit the film well.

Overall I'd give it a 7.5/10, as it was well done, just not the kind of film you need to see twice.

Logan Lucky. Thought it was superb. The cast – including Tatum and Driver – delivered solid performances, in my opinion. Such a shame that the flick has been a complete disaster at the box office.

Watched a movie (from Redbox) called 2:22. Australian cast but set in NYC.

Sci-fi, labeled as "thriller," but it was pretty underwhelming.

The Hateful Eight

I'm a big Quentin Tarantino fan, but I can't say this was my favorite movie of his. The dialogue is very good though and of course there is an ample amount of violence as well as some good acting. Definitely worth watching still.

^ I agree. Definitely one of my favorite of his even though its among the lowest rated by critics (of his major films).

Wonder Woman

It was an okay super hero flick. Same plot as Captain America though. The origin part was cheesy, the accents horrific. The first 30 minutes of film seemed entirely cgi and was rather off-putting. After the origin crap was out of the way, the rest of the film shaped up to be a good time. The actress who starred was gorgeous and kept my eyes glued to the screen heheh.

Overall, not a bad film, just not a good one either.

6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.