Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
john wick. i dunno man... i feel cause it's totally aware of what it wants to be and plays to those predictable action film tropes in a stylish way people are giving it props. sure i like it visually but it's keanu reeves shootin shit up 90% of the time so it got boring pretty quick.

^
That was how I felt about it. It was alright, but nothing special. Wasn't sure why it was being talked up as much as it was. I always enjoy seeing actors from The Wire play different roles, and I remember Cedric Daniels (Lance Reddick) and Lester Freamon (Clarke Peters) being in it.

Though a few years ago Ninja Assassin seemed to be getting some positive reviews and that movie was awful, so maybe some people aren't as harsh in their critiques of action films.

Last edited:
^ yea seeing the guys from the wire was a pleasant surprise. also theon greyjoy as the russian gangster... whoever was in charge of casting definitely had the hbo plug.

have you seen "the equalizer" ? pretty similar style that left me feeling the same.

Caught Ned Kelly the other day with Heath Ledger
If Ned was anything like the movie, he was a p rad strayan irish bloke imo

The House of the Devil.

I checked this movie out, because it got 86% on rotten tomatoes and 73% on metacritic.
Basically didn't get a bad review.

I thought it was awful, from beginning to end.
The only reason I finished watching it is because my girlfriend was curious and didn't want to turn it off.
The direction is horrible. The script is horrible. The acting is horrible. It is riddled with clichés.

One of the worst movies I've seen (from beginning to end) this decade.

0/5

(I don't think it really deserves a zero.
On the contrary: the entire cast and crew deserve to be dragged out onto the street, raped, then publicly executed.)

Re: John Wick, and people being "(not so) harsh in their critiques of action films":

Mindless action films needs to be judged on what they set out to achieve, IMO.
You can't hold a ballet performance to same linguistic standards as Shakespeare or early Coen Brothers.

For a mindless action flick, John Wick was very successful.
It should be compared to something like The Expendables, rather than cinema in general.
There was nothing particularly wrong with the film. (The performances, the cinematography, the humour.)

For what it aimed to achieve, it was quite successful... more so than films of the same ilk.
For those criticizing it: what mindless action films with minimal dialogue produced in 2014 were better?
What mindless action films with minimal dialogue produced in the past decade were better?
I can't think of any. There's certainly not many.

If you don't want to watch these sort of films, then don't go and see them.
Similarly, if you don't appreciate traditional forms of choreography, like ballet, then don't go to the ballet.
Critics can't specifically cater to your likes and dislikes.

Swan Lake isn't objectively bad because it's "just a bunch of people dancing around in tights".
Maybe you just don't like ballet... ?

The Infinite Man

Excellent low budget Australian science-fiction.

4/5

Co-stars: Alex Dimitriades as Terry. (A career highlight.)

I thought the Expendables was a little better as far as storyline, and the fact that they put together a bunch of action stars. The way John Wick was being talked about it sounded like it was somehow different than other action movies. It was basically a story of revenge.

Fair enough.
I thought The Expendables was utter crap.

And, while Wick was a revenge flick, it was pretty good.

nightcrawler

enjoyed it. jake gyllenhaal was great in this. the relationship between his character and the rene russo character was engaging.

alasdair

Too much crap, but I asked for it

Weekend on my own means raiding my crap movie list to the wee hours.

Frightmare (1972) - weak. Shows its age, meaning it was looked at as horror back then but to a modern eye it's just slow with a weak (expected) turn in the end.

Ip Man (2008 ) - had seen it before, just ff'd through to the fight scenes. Very good film overall, I think, in terms of showing China during the Japanese invasion, but more importantly the life and efforts of a great man of that era. Filmwise, good camera work, good fight scenes.

Ink (2009) - supposed to be a cross between matrix and something else, multiple levels of reality. But in the end, even with some interesting special effects, the film still feels like a budget film to a degree. Acting was ok, story was ok, but I wouldn't spend money on it and I'd be reluctant to suggest anyone spend time on it either. For an indie film, it has a strong voice among viewers, but not from me.

Faces of Schlock (2009) - Well, the title pretty well sums it up. Some nudity, to include a gratuitous shower scene for absolutely no reason other than having it in the film. The stories aren't great, and feel like a college course assignment. I can watch some pretty bad films, but this is down in the lower quartile. Avoid it if you can, unless you want bad 'horror' with some skin thrown in.

Dead Teenagers (2007) - There is a reason it is 3.9 on imdb, though I wouldn't be surprised if it continues to fall. Collection of short 'horror' stories, but all are so weak they don't even count as a story in and of themselves. Another case of a few badly written, horribly acted segments with nothing stitching them together really. Doesn't even have any nekkid to make it worth watching, just a bad movie over all.

Deadtime Stories v1 (2009) - George Romero's name is tied to it, and he hosts the in-between segments to a very poor imitation of the cryptkeeper, which is accurate in that the anthology is a poor imitation of others.

The Theatre of the Bizarre (20110 - Yes, I'm on a run of horror anthologies, and I'm getting what I'm asking for....but so far have even be disappointed with low expectations. This time, the production quality is a little better on these segments, but again we find ourselves short on story quality, and in some cases the acting. Though, I must admit the cast pulls in actually known actors for several roles, and is steps above the college actors we have in the previous films I've mentioned. This is better than the other three overall, but they presented a low bar. With that, I again can't really recommend this to anyone, even my B-move loving brethren.

Merantau (2009) - it compared to Tony Jaa's The Warrior King, as an up and coming martial arts actor takes the lead in a 'coming of age' film. In this case it is Iko Uwais bringing Silat Harimau, and while it has all the expected acting and backgrounds of a film from this region, it had some excellent fight scenes. A different style than I've seen used, and it was well choreographed through the different settings - not as 'grab anything, fight anywhere' as the original Jackie Chans, but with all the explosiveness of Tony Jaa. I did appreciate the film didn't try to develop a love story within it, or go to moralistic - it stuck to what it was trying to be, an action/fight film of a young man trying to do right in finding himself. There are a couple of bad actors, and you'll know them immediately, but that kind of lent humor to the scenes.

By the Will of Genghis Khan (2009). It appears to be a decent telling of the man's youth and journey to adulthood and through building his empire - the events that shaped him, the relationships he had. Filming is pretty good, actors are all believable, story moves at a good pace, but fight scenes are cheap even if they are on a decent scale. I probably would have liked it more had I not been watching a bootleg copy such that both English audio tracks were in fact Russian. I had the subtitles on, but watching Asian actors, dubbed in Russian, while I read the English....too hard to really get into it that way. Still I respect the story and cinematography.

^
That was how I felt about it. It was alright, but nothing special. Wasn't sure why it was being talked up as much as it was. I always enjoy seeing actors from The Wire play different roles, and I remember Cedric Daniels (Lance Reddick) and Lester Freamon (Clarke Peters) being in it.

Though a few years ago Ninja Assassin seemed to be getting some positive reviews and that movie was awful, so maybe some people aren't as harsh in their critiques of action films.

HBO actors really make the rounds. It's clearly a gateway to bigger and better things if you can land a role in a major HBO show. Idris Elba(Stringer Bell) has really been doing well since the Wire days. Spotted Major Colvin(Robert Wisdom) in the new SYFY series 12 Monkeys when I caught it on demand the other day. Not sure how I feel about a series based on a film though.

If you don't want to watch these sort of films, then don't go and see them.
Similarly, if you don't appreciate traditional forms of choreography, like ballet, then don't go to the ballet.
Critics can't specifically cater to your likes and dislikes.
i didn't know much about the film other than the fact it was an action flick starring keanu reeves. figured i'd give it a chance. it's not that i dislike action/revenge films, i really enjoyed some recent ones out of south korea and older american ones from the 80s and 90s because of the nostalgia attached.

thinking about it, i guess it's most modern, american action films that i don't care for. there are a few exceptions, thought john wick might of been one...

watched "wild" last night. good performance from reese wihterspoon on a journey of self discovery, hiking the pacific crest trail. can definitely relate to the character she plays. worth watching imo.

Last edited:
Went to the theater tonight. Saw The Imitation Game. I had thought it was going to be good and it actually greatly surpassed my expectations. I had heard of Alan Turing before and I had heard of the German Enigma machine, but I never knew about this story before. I'll never look at WW2 the same way again.

Now I'm extremely curious about the true story because certain events are always dramatized and the film says as much.

Great acting and an interesting story

Just watched Heathers for the first time I liked it a lot. I can't believe it took me this long to see it honestly and will more then likely watch it again tomorrow. So many memorable quotes and one liners in this film, the dialogue was fantastic. Winona is spectacular and slater plays a crazy psychopath quite convincingly. If you haven't seen it and enjoy dark comedies this is a must see for sure.
"Dear diary: my teenage angst bullshit now has a body count."

"Fuck me gently with a chainsaw. Do I look like Mother Theresa?"

hobbit 3 suffers from third of a trilogy syndrome as hard as matrix 3 does, causing it to be the worst of all six films. there are glaring omissions which will, I'm sure, be edited in for the extended editions. this causes the plot to jump and be a bit incoherent. the battle was far from the mass battles in the lotr trilogy. it was a whole lot of nobodies and it just went on and on in generic action. i was completely bored by it. worst of all was the time spent on the alfrid lickspittle character. he eats up so much time and for no good purpose. his saga culminates in a complete fizzle and with so much invested in his annoying shit, it just end without any satisfactory conclusion.

2/5

birdman is precisely what i was not expected and exactly as i had hoped. i was constantly smiling from ear to ear and rather overstimulated by some incredible acting and fantastic writing. the shooting method and use of special effects add to the stifling content, how each shot blends with the next. you see no cuts.
4.5/5

^Just saw Birdman tonight and thought it was great. It's going to be one of those that I'm going to have to see a few more times, I think. The drum motifs throughout were a brilliant addition to the controlled chaos going on. I wish I had a drummer following me around playing jazz beats all day.

yeah totally.

keep an eye on mirrors next time. a couple of occasions i was totally thinking "hey there should be a camera right there." the use of effects was great like that.

Tonight I watched Saturday Night Fever starring John Travolta. I did not have any interest in watching this film but after my girlfriend insisted I had to see it I finally gave in. I loved it and now I am thinking maybe it's time to check out some other movies made in the seventies. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

I hadn't seen a lot of John Travolta's earlier work besides Grease which yeah it's good and all but not really my cup of tea. This was great though. I will watch it again.

4.5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.