Bluelight

Thread: Foraging for Funghi (and food that flowers) in Britain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SamhainGrim View Post
    Slavs eating swans? Let me guess - you took mushrooms, read the Express and then went for a walk?
    flatulent slavs i bet

2. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    Down South where they use the slide machine
    Quote Originally Posted by breakcorefiend View Post
    lol, if it werent for hippies i doubt acid would be as big as it is lol, i have a few mate who i consider 'urban hippies' lol, still they sofa surf and dont pay a penny for drugs but theyre nice people so they get away with it!
    Of course I jest, there are many different types of hippies so to generlise is a little unfair, some of them may not be that damp at all ! They can keep their acid, their dodgy rolling backy and the patchouli oil and there unhealthy obsesion with Pink Floyd...or should I say "the Floyd"

Sorry i started on my hippy rant there didnt i ?.....atm23 goes back to his naughty corner

3. Collapse Details

A skunk serenade for one, a Ket breakfast
    Quote Originally Posted by atm23 View Post
    Of course I jest, there are many different types of hippies so to generlise is a little unfair, some of them may not be that damp at all ! They can keep their acid, their dodgy rolling backy and the patchouli oil and there unhealthy obsesion with Pink Floyd...or should I say "the Floyd"

Sorry i started on my hippy rant there didnt i ?.....atm23 goes back to his naughty corner
    LOL the hippies i know eat acid by the sheet and listen to psytrance lol, still thinking bout it they could be eradicated..lol..i sound like cartman!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SamhainGrim View Post
    Slavs eating swans?
    I don't know what the fuck they are are to be honest - three swarthy looking flatulent cunts speaking another language.

you took mushrooms, read the Express and then went for a walk?

Well the lake that river runs into has been packed full of geese and swans for at least 40 years - in fact longer because my grandfather knows it. Within the last 5 years they've vanished. You get a family of 9 or 10 and within a couple of months they're down to one surviving. Now my explanation is human interference. What's yours?

Am I being too politically incorrect?

Incidentally my politics are more baader-meinhof anarchist than daily express.

5. Collapse Details

Last edited by Evad; 06-08-2011 at 15:40.

6. Collapse Details

i've there is a shortage of geese/ducks/swans and other water foul in Pooland and they have now set up a network of kiosks all over the uk called 'polski skleps' where you can exchange ducks for zloty

7. Collapse Details

A skunk serenade for one, a Ket breakfast
    Quote Originally Posted by watsons torment View Post
    i've there is a shortage of geese/ducks/swans and other water foul in Pooland and they have now set up a network of kiosks all over the uk called 'polski skleps' where you can exchange ducks for zloty
    hmm where i live theres alot of polish shops around..wonder if its owrth investing in an airrifle for abit of mashed hunting lol, could even earn from it

8. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    Some interesting discourse in here - I've used a catapult, will most likely get a rifle or shotgun soon, but that's not a priority - it'd just be a lot cooler to hunt my own meat - a new set of skills is always a good thing.

Pheasants - sneak up on them in a certain way, without looking at the directly(using your peripheral vision), and back them into a corner...wasn't possible when I tried in springtime as usually their mate was nearby (had a few females fly out of the bushes when I'd almost got the male, so I stopped as it was evident that the male would really be needed for getting the food for his new family).

I will look for this Sampire.

Ismene - why should I leave the countryside as it is? As long as I don't rape it of what it gives, and make sure that I cut plants in a way that they will continue to grow (like the perpetual spinach and wild garlic to name a couple of my faves), then not going to the supermarket or local shop to buy all my food is surely a sensible idea to reduce living costs?!?

After all, this country is ours, and if we all did it, whilst also growing our own few bits and pieces - this world would be a lot better; we'd all be a lot healthier and more resilient; and we would know a lot more about our country than we do (this is a society where everything has to be now, people aren't raised to cultivate patience, and most people know nothing about the environment just outside their doorstep).

Also - when I was living in Peterborough I heard about the Polish eating swans - but this happened when a lot of people lost their homes and had to live by the river - I think this is fair enough - they're resourceful, unlike most English tramps I've met who are beggars.

regarding the plums - I forgot plums!! VERY good year for plums indeed!! And the cherries have been OK, although I always find cherries to be gone pretty quickly as the birds fucking LOVE em.
    Last edited by Jblazingphoenix100; 06-08-2011 at 16:37.

9. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismene View Post
    I'm just wondering about your effect on the local ecosystem. Pulling up whatever you want to eat can have consequences that arn't always immediately apparant.

Perhaps simply going vegetarian would be the best alternative?
    you do have a very valid point, you certainly shouldn't just pull any old thing up without first trying to understand the effect it will have on the local ecosystem. some american indians apparently used to up sticks very few years because they did so much damage to their immediate environment that they had to move to continue to sustain themselves. however, i still think that if you forage mindfully it wont be too bad. i also suspect that foraging gives people a greater respect and awareness for nature, which may have a knock on effect in other areas of their lives. in cities we become so separated from natural environments that its easy to ignore the impact you have. not so if you step outside into the countryside, and have a brain, you see how interconnected nature is and therefore how careful we have to be to protect it. but if you take a small amount of something relatively abundant, jblazing mentioned spinach, thats surely gotta be better than picking up a plastic bag of farmed stuff? though how anyone has the patience to pick large amounts of spinach anyway, i have no idea.

i guess my question would be, which has a greater environemental impact: picking bits and bobs that grow naturally, or clearing an area entirely, killing many flora and fauna in the process, to use to grow food, no organic or not? surely it has to be the latter, so surely mindful foraging is better for the environment than any other way of eating?

i'm vegetarian but unfortunately buy most of my food in morrissons, so even if grown in a sustainable manner close to home, which i doubt, has been transported to and from centralised delivery places. i buy in the market when possible but have no idea of the provenance of the food.

10. Collapse Details

I go rabbit shooting every other weekend, last weekend my mum and her friend shot 40! Don't worry, there is loads of rabbits where we go, don't even make a dent on the population! Some times I prepare one and eat it, I have to say it's not one of my favourite meats, we feed our birds of prey with the rest of them

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mr.buffnstuff View Post
    I used to sustain myself just to see if I could do it. I was. British champion at archery. Then gkt my Fac, .22lr with silencer, .17hmr with silencer. .223 with siencer, 5 shot semi auto 12 bore and a silenced .410 shotgun..
    Get a .22 silenced rifle, or a silenced .410 you can take down pretty much owt with them. Learn to trap aswell! I could eat like a king for free!
    Failing that a good quality .22 air rifle (spring powered is best!) look at bsa tactical xl thats what I use. And all joking aside, a catapult like a barnett cobra can be good at 20-30 mtr range, good for ducks and thing when they land on water.
    A good bow, is a very good way of hunting but youd need a compound with short limbs for in woodland really arrkws are. Expensive aswell and unless ypuve had alot of practise I think u would struggle with one.... Simple traps like snares are ok across runs but time consuming, you need to keep checking them, if you leave them foxes or birds of prey will beat you to it!
    Let me know how you get on anyway!
    I keep my bsa airgun in my car, driving at night presents many opportunities ;-)
    Whilst air rifles are capable, they do more harm than good.

I've some truly c*ntish friends who have been shooting wild rabbits for over 10 years now.
    Even with their experience they seem to cause alot of injuries and rarely pull off humane kills.

A proper gun is what's needed for killing.

$0.02

12. Collapse Details

You need a rifle really and don't take the shot until you know you can hit it in the head!

13. Collapse Details

One should congratulate anyone who kills/eats a swan anyway.
    Double points for cormorants.

14. Collapse Details

Ummm, everyone who says an irgun is less than capable is chatting shit! Its the person shooting! Shoot within ur range, 9/10 times dont go for the head uness its facing you, dobt shoot its jaw off or owt! Go for a heart shot! A proper set up gives v accurate results. Its the person shooting tgat makes an anumal suffer! You wouldnt chance at a deer n blow its leg off! Even vermin deserve to be killed humanly!

15. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    This is supposed to be about foraging not hunting, you banjo-playing, daughter-raping hicks!

Now back on topic please. Ta very much.

16. Collapse Details

Wouldn't it be less hassle for the dude just to raid the bins behind his local Tesco?

17. Collapse Details

I know a man who lived for two months on stuff he foraged and shot and then ran one of those crazy fucking marathons where you do a marathon, but like, you've just swam two marathons and cycled about six. Anyway, my respect goes out to him. Poor cunt.

18. Collapse Details

Well, I lived out in the woods for 7 months, and got better at identifying mushrooms, making various kinds of traps, skinning rabbits/plucking pheasants etc...

I didn't pick many more fruits, or plants than before though...So now I will make more efforts to learn what's good to pick around the local area.

19. Collapse Details

why's jblazingphoenix an ex-bluelighter now? Has he gone properly native?

20. Collapse Details

no he's turned into someone else.

21. Collapse Details

b1t0'roughjack...do you like psytrance and gettin yer cock out?

22. Collapse Details

You know it bad boy...not so keen on the old psy trance, mind

I will pick this thread back up in the spring. When I can offer more, and hopefully others can be less fucking objectionable.

23. Collapse Details

yeh bit of a dead time for foraging now, there is stuff, but few and far between...shellfish, and if you know the right spots some very big bass about very close to shore for next few weeks, by very close I mean within 10 feet or so.

Down your end of the Channel should be some codling, but you not really a fishing man are you.

24. Collapse Details

foraging time!

25. Collapse Details

Wild garlic all over the place now! Lovely tender new leaves

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast