• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does gabapentin take to kick in?

StarryEyedLaughing

Greenlighter
Every 15 minutes for the last 55 minutes, I've been taking doses of gabapentin (Neurontin). My total dosage is now up to 2100mg and I don't feel anything.

For those who are experienced with this substance: how long does it usually take for this substance to take effect when the doses are staggered in this way? Also, I am on a semi-full stomach (I know absorption is increased with a full stomach).

Thanks in advance for any information.

I've tried this substance before. It's prescribed to someone close to me. I tried it on two occasions and didn't get anything out of it. After reading some reports of others' experiences with this drug, it seems to me that most people are likely to have either no effect, or a negative effect(usually something along the lines of mood disturbance and difficulty with muscle spasm type things( i lost my muscle control lol). Please be careful with this drug, you've taken a pretty large dose, and I know from personal experience that tese type of neural pain killing drugs can really screw you up. I had a fairly serious overdose with a similar drug a couple years ago. I happened to be in a movie theater at the time and almost had to be taken by ambulance due to a seizure. Please be careful.

it can take a couple hours sometimes for me to kick in, especially if i stagger my doses.

As others have said, you don't really get much, if any, of a high from this drug. You will likely just feel a bit calmer and tired. You should not take any more of this, expecting to suddenly feel some effects. The dose is high enough that if you would enjoy it, you would be doing so already.

If you eat, it increases absorption quite a bit. It isn't that potent of a drug in terms of perceptible effects as mentioned, though. I have taken 5g at once on a few occasions and it was interesting once, slightly unpleasant the other times.

Yes as stated the metabolic efficiency of neurontin (gabapentin) is more effective by stacking doses. Search around, there are numerous threads on this very subject. And since this is a basic dosage/effects question, I am going to shift it over to basic drug discussion for you.

OD>>>BDD

OP- I am prescribed a fairly large dose of neurontin, have been for years, and also regularly take its stronger sister, Lyrica. Both of these drugs take substantially longer than most to kick in, and by long time I mean an hour and a half at the very least, so be very very careful. The dose that you took is pretty high for a one-shot deal in someone who is not used to this!!!

As mentioned above, stacking is more efficient, and I will also attest to the fact that in many people, larger doses won't necessarily get you "more high" but will increase its risks for not-so-pleasant side effects, like ataxia, double vision, and behavioral issues, like angry impulses and overall belligerence.

Last edited:
never really felt anything from them, aside from if i was running low on benzos, they kinda helped take the edge off a bit,

as far as getting a buzz or intoxicated from them, i never did, like i said for me , when i was low on benzos it just seemed to smooth out the sketchy feelings, and made it easier to cope in public places

lyrica > gabapentin. but gabapentin is still fun with some klonopin, good weed/hash, and a couple drinks... gabapentin with DXM was pretty sttraight, and so was addy + gaba..... it works pretty good for W/D's too...

UTFSE!!!

That being said, it takes several hours to kick in (provided you feel anything, of course). It's essentially like tramadol- it probably won't do anything for you unless it's your first drug ever, but a few people absolutely love it. If you're determined to get high off of it alone, stagger the doses closer to around every 30-45 minutes. Make sure to eat a small meal with every dose and keep system acidity high- try a couple sodas and some lemon juice.

Personally, I'd take 1g or so with some alcohol or xanax seeing as both work on the GABA receptors- You'll need less booze to feel drunk, essentially.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/470294-Maximizing-Gabapentin-bioavailability

never really felt anything from them, aside from if i was running low on benzos, they kinda helped take the edge off a bit,

as far as getting a buzz or intoxicated from them, i never did, like i said for me , when i was low on benzos it just seemed to smooth out the sketchy feelings, and made it easier to cope in public places

this is pretty accurate. it worked GREAT in very high doses for the acute phase of opiate withdrawal. I went from writhing in pain to almost completely functional in a matter of a couple hours.

2-3 hours can do it. Yes, it can replace both benzos and opiates, like Lyrica. The Head psychiatrist in my city told me Gabapentin can lead to serious brain damage and psyciatric problems though. He recommends Lyrica. This seems strange, cause it's much stronger, buzz-like and recreational.

I think neorontin and or lyrica are miracle cures for some symptoms of opiate withdrawal. R l s mainly

Okay these people don't know what they're talking about honestly token it before they were expire and I took 12 which is around 3600 mg it's nearly impossible to overdose unless like more then 4000 which is ridiculous this high is similar to being drunk and euphoric mixed it takes like a hour to kick in just like oxycodone take on a semi eaten stomachs so you should be good

I completely agree. If taken in high doses, it's like being drunk with slight euphoria. The best part is that there is no hangover. In fact i typically feel better than normal the next day. It has taken more than 2 hours to kick in for me sometimes.

2 hours generally for it to kick in good and proper. A week or so generally for it to help neuropathic pain if it works for you at all generally. Eating before you take it increases the absorption but also slows it down abit.

You can i guess get high off gabapentin though i find taking that many big ass pills (i get the 800's which are huge) to be pleasant on the stomach at all. Plus high doses of gabapentin can be nauseating somewhat anyway for me atleast. I find Pregabalin to have less side effects but really i just take them when i have restless leg syndrome or want to boost benzos or Z-hypnotics. A fav combo of mine to get to sleep is clonazepam, gabapentin and zopiclone. But gabapentin and Pregabalin are 2 drugs to which tolerance to the effects build really fast and you might get high on it )it's more like being really drunk and almost like being on a dissociative at the same time without any real euphoria. After maybe 3 grams of gaba i won't be able to walk and i will be staggering around worse then the town drunk on payday. But tolerance builds in days and i found it to take a long time to go down as well.

2-3 hours can do it. Yes, it can replace both benzos and opiates, like Lyrica. The Head psychiatrist in my city told me Gabapentin can lead to serious brain damage and psyciatric problems though. He recommends Lyrica. This seems strange, cause it's much stronger, buzz-like and recreational.

I've never heard of Gabapentin or Pregabalin being linked to brain damage at all though it certainly is addictive in higher doses over a long period of time. I was taking 4 800mg pills everyday and honestly when i tried to quit cold turkey it felt like a combo of benzo and opiate withdrawals all at once. So it's no joke if your taking it everyday as i found it took a long time for me to taper off it fairly painlessly. Personally id rather kick opiates then gabapentin as it's not as physically painful and the taper isn't nearly as long.

As for psychiatric problems i think it may have made my Bipolar disorder worse when i started taking the gabapentin for nerve pain. It was a certain dumbing effect where yu feel dumber then normal especially when you first start treatment. I think it made made the depression part of my bipolar disorder worse. I can'tr believe so many psychiatrists prescribed this as a mood stabilizer off label when Neurontin first came out. It has absolutely no mood stabilizing effect on me as far as i can tell and i think it tested worse then a placebo ffs. But i guess that's what money does. Thankfully because of the lawsuits it's not as common to prescribe it as a standalone mood stabilizer anymore like Lithium, Divalproex or even Lamotrigne.

Last edited:
Yes, I realize this thread is ancient, but I saw other have posted in the last year or so, so I figured, WTF.

So, I have posted elsewhere on the net regarding my experience with Gabapentin, or Gaba as its called in our circle. First a quick rundown of the drugs I've used; hopefully I can remember them all. heroin, coke (Powdered and rocked[smoked]), lyrica, neurontin, methadone, morphine, percocet, hydro, MDA/MA, LSD, Mushrooms, THC/Marijuana, raw opium, Tramadol, various benzos and muscle relaxers, various RC's by accident, loads of alcohol, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. My opiate tolerance is outrageously high for a non user (3-4 times a year), at about 60mg for Oxycodone, and 40mg for hydro's, which doesn't really make sense, but that's just the way it is.

So, with that out of the way, you should see that I'm not exactly a newb when it comes to substance use. My experience with Gabapentin, up until recently, has been 95% fucking amazing. In manageable doses, you get increased alcohol tolerance due to its activity on GABA receptors, just like alcohol, increased sociability, increased sex drive, increased confidence, and you get horny. And I mean, nearly uncontrollably so. In large doses, 3g or so, staggered of course, you get insane amounts of energy, rushes of border line euphoria, much like MDMA rushes, and all the other aspects are greatly amplified. You are border line manic. EVERYONE I have ever given it to has experienced these effects. While I am considered a bit of a veteran around the people that I know, others have still done their share of substances, and I am here to tell you, Gabapentin does have potential, to the right person. I feel quite sorry for those of you that don't get to experience its effects.

Also, someone mentioned Tramadol. That is another interesting substance, typically used by "amatueurs". Again, after having a permanently increased opiate tolerance due to pain management and methadone, this is one of my favorite opiod anelgesics. Hydros give a nice nod for a couple hours, opium is fucking amazing, far superior to heroin (Never IV'ed) but Tramadol makes me nod for HOURS. I can nod all day if I so desired. And it is one of the most intense opiod/opiate experiences I've ever had, and consistently so. Then again, my brain chemistry is radically different than the normal person/user. I stopped trying to understand why things happen to me, and not others, or vice versa. I feel bad for those of you that can't experience Tramadol as well. Who doesn't wanna get stoned for hours, with an unwavering high, and on just one dose? Lucky me I guess. Haha. Be well psychonauts.

ima just throw in my input really fast. Obviously everyone is going to be different. for me:
I have the 800mg pills, i would say they take about 1-2 hours to start kicking in, and about 4 hours to begin to peak. Honestly i wouldnt say this is a recreational drug, better for withdrawals or anxiety "speed-limits" helping reduce the spikes. or many other things. now and then taking like 1600-2400mg for me (at once OR staggered) is plenty for me to get "high" off them. altho its a subtle buzz, kinda weird and like a strange combo of benzo, stims, and opiates. and SUBTLE! not a strong high i find, but is nice now and then. if i try to repeat the attempted effects, i get a not so nice combo, and usually i find it better when wanting to comedown from stims as it eventually makes me start to randomly/continuously drift out(pass out) even tho i dont feel tired! helps me bunch with controlling sleep deprivation.

But, i must re-emphasize its not worth using recreationally, except maybe now and then. and yah, i've read that anywhere between 1600-3200mg will do it typically.

Last edited: