• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

paradoxical reactions to opiates

bben

Bluelighter
When i take opiates i get the normal phsyiological effects such as:

vasodilation/warmth
sedation/respiratory depression
itchy

However i get no mood boost whatsoever from opiates and i do not get euphoria at all.

I used to get euphoria all the time, after a period of MDMA use it is all gone, havent got pleasure from opiates sense.

I dont think its a tolerance problem as i have gone long periods taking no opiates, then taking large amounts with no success. I really miss the euphoria and mood boost they used to provide. I also no longer get a mood boost from alcohol at all.

thoughts?

Set and setting still plays a factor in opiate use (It plays a factor in any drug use, IMO). And some people don't get a lot of euphoria from opiates. That's probably due to genetic variation more than tolerance. Try finding a nice quiet place, relaxing and enjoying them next time you try?

Most important of all, if you expect a drug to make you happy, it probably won't. No drugs produce instant happiness, despite what people like to bill them as. Each drug produces its own set of effects - opiate "euphoria" is a lot different from MDMA, which is different from ketamine, and so on and such forth.

Set and setting still plays a factor in opiate use (It plays a factor in any drug use, IMO). And some people don't get a lot of euphoria from opiates. That's probably due to genetic variation more than tolerance. Try finding a nice quiet place, relaxing and enjoying them next time you try?

Most important of all, if you expect a drug to make you happy, it probably won't. No drugs produce instant happiness, despite what people like to bill them as. Each drug produces its own set of effects - opiate "euphoria" is a lot different from MDMA, which is different from ketamine, and so on and such forth.

true, thanks for the input.

i think the first 50 times i used opiates i got mind blowing euphoria. Now i just get some mild relaxation and thats it. i just want it back!

ill up my dose and see if things improve. what do most people get off them.

If you go chasing opiate euphoria, beware - you'll end up dependent if you head down that road. I think it's time to stop using, TBH.

It sounds like you get typical effects. Relaxation etc. Tolerance does develop quickly to the euphoria and it takes a long, long time to go away. It takes much longer for the pain killing and sedative effects to lose potency.

If you go chasing opiate euphoria, beware - you'll end up dependent if you head down that road. I think it's time to stop using, TBH.

It sounds like you get typical effects. Relaxation etc. Tolerance does develop quickly to the euphoria and it takes a long, long time to go away. It takes much longer for the pain killing and sedative effects to lose potency.

well dam maybe i am just tolerant as i def get sedation/relaxtion/anxiety relief. Just no euphoria at all.

Cannabis used to make opioids a lot more euphoric for me.

Good advice! :)

If you want to look at potentiating opiates there's a thread here.

Also, which opiates are you specifically talking about? Personally, I find I get paradoxical effects when I dose oxycodone - I get easily agro :\ - however I find codeine a lot more euphoric.