Bluelight

Thread: paradoxical reactions to opiates

1. Collapse Details
    paradoxical reactions to opiates 
    When i take opiates i get the normal phsyiological effects such as:

vasodilation/warmth
    sedation/respiratory depression
    itchy

However i get no mood boost whatsoever from opiates and i do not get euphoria at all.

I used to get euphoria all the time, after a period of MDMA use it is all gone, havent got pleasure from opiates sense.

I dont think its a tolerance problem as i have gone long periods taking no opiates, then taking large amounts with no success. I really miss the euphoria and mood boost they used to provide. I also no longer get a mood boost from alcohol at all.

thoughts?

2. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    Other Drugs
    Philosophy & Spirituality
    Set and setting still plays a factor in opiate use (It plays a factor in any drug use, IMO). And some people don't get a lot of euphoria from opiates. That's probably due to genetic variation more than tolerance. Try finding a nice quiet place, relaxing and enjoying them next time you try?

Most important of all, if you expect a drug to make you happy, it probably won't. No drugs produce instant happiness, despite what people like to bill them as. Each drug produces its own set of effects - opiate "euphoria" is a lot different from MDMA, which is different from ketamine, and so on and such forth.
    Guidelines for OD ||| OD Standards ||| OD Directory Read Me First! ||| NPD Rules
    Please read the links above or PM me if I lock your post. R.I.P. F28

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sekio View Post
    Set and setting still plays a factor in opiate use (It plays a factor in any drug use, IMO). And some people don't get a lot of euphoria from opiates. That's probably due to genetic variation more than tolerance. Try finding a nice quiet place, relaxing and enjoying them next time you try?

Most important of all, if you expect a drug to make you happy, it probably won't. No drugs produce instant happiness, despite what people like to bill them as. Each drug produces its own set of effects - opiate "euphoria" is a lot different from MDMA, which is different from ketamine, and so on and such forth.
    true, thanks for the input.

i think the first 50 times i used opiates i got mind blowing euphoria. Now i just get some mild relaxation and thats it. i just want it back!

ill up my dose and see if things improve. what do most people get off them.

4. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    Other Drugs
    Philosophy & Spirituality
    If you go chasing opiate euphoria, beware - you'll end up dependent if you head down that road. I think it's time to stop using, TBH.

It sounds like you get typical effects. Relaxation etc. Tolerance does develop quickly to the euphoria and it takes a long, long time to go away. It takes much longer for the pain killing and sedative effects to lose potency.
    Guidelines for OD ||| OD Standards ||| OD Directory Read Me First! ||| NPD Rules
    Please read the links above or PM me if I lock your post. R.I.P. F28

5. Collapse Details

If you go chasing opiate euphoria, beware - you'll end up dependent if you head down that road. I think it's time to stop using, TBH.

It sounds like you get typical effects. Relaxation etc. Tolerance does develop quickly to the euphoria and it takes a long, long time to go away. It takes much longer for the pain killing and sedative effects to lose potency.
    well dam maybe i am just tolerant as i def get sedation/relaxtion/anxiety relief. Just no euphoria at all.

6. Collapse Details

Cannabis used to make opioids a lot more euphoric for me.

7. Collapse Details

Good advice!

If you want to look at potentiating opiates there's a thread here.

Also, which opiates are you specifically talking about? Personally, I find I get paradoxical effects when I dose oxycodone - I get easily agro - however I find codeine a lot more euphoric.