View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Picking and Identifying Magic Mushrooms

BongmasteR

Bluelighter
I am currently living in PEI. For those of you (which is probably everyone) who dont know where the hell that is, it is a small island on the East Coast of Canada.
It is a WELL KNOWN FACT that during late October and Early November Magic Mushrooms grow (quit plentifully from what I have heard) wild here. I would like to pick some or many of these wild mushrooms.
There is one problem though. Everyone down here talks so highly of there wild shrooms, but no one can seem to identify them. A few of us went picking the other night and found about 50 or 60 mushrooms. I had several people look at them and some said "these are definetly shrooms," others said "these are not shrooms" and some just had no idea.
I'v spent the last couple hours reading up on Magic Mushrooms and have found almost everything I need to. There are hundreds of good pictures with exellent descriptions of many different species.
This is what I need information on: What species of mushrooms would be most likely to grow wild on the East Coast of Canada (or the Northern East Coast of The US). If I can find out what species grow wild in PEI then I can find pictures and info on identifying that specific species.
I dont really know anything about the shrooms here exept that they DO grown wild. I'v had a few descriptions given to me but nothing good enough to go ahead on. Im looking for ANY info on the shrooms that are growning here. Thanks...

I applaud your efforts to learn the finer points of mycology, but I want to make sure that you understand that hunting for mushrooms is something that should only be done if you REALLY understand what it is that you're looking for. Consuming a poisonous mushroom by mistake is a horrible horrible way to exit this world, as your final days will be spent on dialysis. Please be very very careful how you go about trying to identify your mushrooms - I highly suggest hooking up with a seasoned mycologist who might be able to show you the ropes, and who could identify for you any mushrooms you might be thinking about eating.
I also suggest you check out the following website:
http://www.shroomery.com/
The good people over at the shroomery know just about everything there is to know about magic mushrooms, and are very helpful.
Goodluck!
------------------
"[The feeling of doing DMT] is as though one had been struck by noetic lightning. The ordinary world is almost instantaneously replaced, not only with a hallucination, but a hallucination whose alien character is it's utter alienness. Nothing in this world can prepare one for the impressions that fill your mind when you enter the DMT sensorium."
Load Universe into Cannon...
Aim at Brain...
Fire!

Very good advice, for there are many mushrooms that can kill you (poisonous) that look just like the hallucinogenic (psylocybe) mushrooms.
You MUST have an authorized mushroom hunting bible and an experienced mycologists advice before going ahead and eating
Have fun when you do
wink.gif

- Citrus

After doing some more research I THINK the mushrooms that grow here are called PSILOCYBE SEMILANCEATA (aka Liberty Caps). This is still a fairly broad stamtement and has not yet been verified.
Can anyone verify this or know where I can verify this assumption? Im going to work on taking some pictures of what I think are wild mushrooms but it could be a few days before that happens.
I also came accross some stuff on when the best time to pick shrooms is... like after rain and such. We are getting the tail end of a hurricane right now and im wondering it would be a good time to go out after the skies clear up... or maybe during it... that would be interesting.

shroomery.com is your best bet man. I think there are a few active canadians that know their shit.

You are correct, Liberty caps as they are often called are found in the east coast during september/october. In fact you should contact a guy called 'mitchnast' at the shroomery, I believe he's already been seeing Liberty caps all over in Halifax.
Check out the mushroom hunting forum for pics of libs. Not all libs bruise blue, in fact the ones in Iceland that I used to hunt did not bruise at all. They are a great little mushroom, very potent, and still one of my favorite highs.
There are a few look alikes for liberty caps, however I don't believe any poisonous ones... You should still however be very carefull.
What I do know about libs, dark purple spore print, nipple on the cap, they are small, and found abundantly in sage grass, well manicured lawns, and found in large groups together... Of course the usual, viscid pellicle can be found.
Read up on the p. semilanceata, this is definately the one you are going to be looking for.
------------------
Webmaster of the Shroomery
www.shroomery.org
[email protected]

<---lives pretty close to halifax...
thanks for this!!! i think i will look up this individual on the shroomery myself, as i have been wanting to go hunting for a while now but haven't trusted my own instincts and the online guides solely for my own naive hunting purposes...
[This message has been edited by mealltach (edited 17 October 2001).]

as everyone said. Take a picture and a spore print and post it on the shroomery, you will get you answer quickly.
BTW liberty caps are some of the best wild shrooms to find.
http://www.shroomery.org/images/semilanceata/2.jpg
http://www.shroomery.org/images/semilanceata/4.jpg
Liberty Cap
Psilocybe semilanceata (Fr. ex Secr.) Kum.
Strophariaceae, Agaricales
Description Slimy, narrowly conical, brown to tan cap with brownish gills and smooth, off-white stalk; in pastures and manured areas.
Cap 3/8" - 1" (1-2.5 cm) wide; sharply conical, often peaked, and not expanding; sticky, smooth; brownish, fading to tan, bruising blue on margin.
Gills attached, close, broad; grayish, becoming dark brown.
Stalk 2" - 4" (5-10 cm) high, 1/16" (1.5 mm) thick; very thin, whitish.
Veil partial veil evanescent.
Spores 11-14 X 7-8 microns; elliptical, smooth, with pore at tip. Spore print purple-brown.
Edibility Hallucinogenic.
Season Late August-November.
Habitat Scattered to numerous, in tall grass and grassy hummocks in cow pastures.
Range Widely distributed; common in Pacific NW.; also reported in Quebec.
Look-alikes The hallucinogenic P. pelliculosa and P. silvatica grow in wood chips or mulch, and have conical caps.
Comments This species is one of the most familiar of the Oregon coast.
Could also (unfortunately) be ---
Conifer Psilocybe
Psilocybe pelliculosa (A.H.S.) Sing. & A.H.S.
Strophariaceae, Agaricales
Description Sticky, dark brown, conical cap with brown gills and off-white, hairy stalk.
Cap 1/4" - 3/4" (0.5-2 cm) wide; conical to bell-shaped; sticky, smooth; dark brown, fading to tan, bruising blue.
Gills attached, close, narrow; cinnamon-brown, then darkening.
Stalk 2 3/8" - 3 1/4" (6-8 cm) long, 1/16" (1.5 mm) thick; whitish, darkening; covered with small, grayish fibers.
Veil partial veil evanescent.
Spores 9.3-11 X 5.5 microns; elliptical, smooth, with pore at tip. Spore print purple-brown.
Edibility Hallucinogenic.
Season September-November.
Habitat Several to many, separately or in clusters, on conifer mulch in woods.
Range British Columbia to N. California.
Look-alikes The hallucinogenic P. semilanceata found in manured grass, has smooth stalk. P. silvatica has smaller spores.
Comments This species, often confused with the Liberty Cap (P. semilanceata), lacks its narrowly conical cap and is only weakly hallucinogenic.
http://www.shroomery.org/images/pelliculosa/2.jpg
http://www.shroomery.org/images/pelliculosa/1.gif

ah bomb, i see you too use the National Audobahn Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. i swear by it, and i highly recommend you all go pick one up! it costs like $20, and it has everything you need to know about every mushroom, not just the hallucinogenic ones. the shroomery and other such sites are very useful, but they don't have pictures of the poisonous ones, and i have often found this information to be just as useful. if i can't decided if a shroom i just found looks like a poisonous one or not, i err on the side of caution. i have eaten a lot of the mushrooms around where i live (the south) and have never had any problems. and to this day, i haven't speant a dime on mushrooms (unless you count the book). nothing like a little field tripping when you're short on cash.
------------------
Let us alone. What pleasure can we have
To war with evil? Is there any peace
In ever climbing up the climbing wave?
All things have rest, and ripen towards the grave
In silence- ripen, fall, and cease:
Give us long rest or death, dark death, or dreamful ease.
--Tennyson, The Lotos-Eaters

Thanks for all the help. Gonna continue my quest at The Shroomery. It certainly seems like the best place for this.
Been out pickin' a few times already but havn't found anything yet. It is still unusualy dry and warm here which seems to be delaying the season a bit. Lots of mushrooms out there but no magic ones yet... Im sick of being so damn patient and want to find some free kick-ass mushrooms
smile.gif

just grow them.
------------------
It is the most beautiful thing to watch your mind manifest upon the physical realm of reality.

Sounds like liberty caps. Although cubensis are common up there too. Cubensis are more esy to identify