• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Official 2011 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can't decide if it would be worse to be a dolphins fan or a bills fan.
fans support their team. that guy doesn't sound like much of a fan to me...

i really dislike chad johnson but i think he'll do well at the patriots. i just hope he leaves all the stupid antics behind.

alasdair

The niners are an elite team in most aspects, they are just missing good recievers and a good QB...
lol. poor people are rich people in most aspects, they are just missing lots of money. :)

alasdair

i got a good feeling about my brownies this year. i think we need a couple key free agents though. i havent heard any moves being made but im sorta outta the sports look right now. i just hope the god damn madden cover curse doesnt blow out hillis' ankle or something. we got hardesty back at least. well have the power and a little finesse in our running game.

I'm not going to pick on Cleveland, because that's just mean, but the Browns have TONS of cap space and money to spend - yet they've been one of the few teams that has been exceptionally quite during this monumentally entertaining week of free agency. why, Cleveland?

also, I think Cincinnati owner Mike Brown gets the jabroni of the year award. instead of trading away Carson Palmer, who said he would retire than play another season as a Bengal, owner Mike Brown is taking this business personal and refusing to deal Palmer. I'm a "for the good of the whole league" kinda guy, and I do believe that the league and us fans would benefit from Palmer being traded away to a team that desperately needs a QB to be considered more of a contender (see: Miami Dolphins, a fit perfect for Carson). while I don't think Palmer is the NFL's greatest QB, I do believe that during his good year runs, he could breach the Top 10 of NFL QBs

instead of getting some great draft picks or traded players for Palmer, Cincinnati is being bone-headed and butt-hurt. I don't think we have many Bengals fans here in S&G (smotpoker, where ya at?) - but Cinci owner Mike Brown would infuriate me to no end if I was a Bengals fan

oh, to be a Steelers fan in Ohio

I think Plaxico will do well at the Jets, he's a good possession type receiver and this fits well into the Jets schematics.

eh, Jets might have two solid former Pittsburgh WRs in Santonio and Plax... but let's face it

star wide-outs still need a QB to get them the ball. I still don't have faith in Sanchez's arm. specially considering the Jets have a run-first mentality...

eh, Jets might have two solid former Pittsburgh WRs in Santonio and Plax... but let's face it

star wide-outs still need a QB to get them the ball. I still don't have faith in Sanchez's arm. specially considering the Jets have a run-first mentality...

you dont need to have faith in him
the team is built to win as long sanchez can manage the game

axl, you know the Jets did pretty well last year, losing to your Steelers in the AFC championship by 5, on the one yard line. I don't think that Sanchez is that bad of a QB; I think most teams would be happy to have him honestly, and this year he's more experienced, has better targets, and still a strong run game and defense to lean on. I think the Jets and the Patriots are gonna be pretty tough this year.

fans support their team. that guy doesn't sound like much of a fan to me...

I have a certificate of fandom. It is written in gold ink, on vicuña hide, notarized and blessed by the local archdiocese.

the Eagles made great moves this off-season, nice aggressive moves. if they keep Donte Stallworth, then they might have the best secondary in the past decade or two. HOWEVER (and this is a big however), the Eagles didn't really fix what they needed to fix most - their porous run defense. they needed a line-backer or two, and maybe a defensive lineman the most. we'll see how this one works out

re: Sanchez, sure the Jets did almost beat my Steelers. and sure, the Jets have been to the AFC Championship game the past three years. however, I am still not sold on Sanchez as a QB. I just can't buy what the Jets are selling because while they did make some impressive moves in free agency, their QB is still suspect in my book. a team could have all the greatest receivers in the world, but without a more-than able QB to get them the ball - it means squat

I posted on how puzzling it was to see the Cleveland Browns have such an admirably huge salary cap gap and so much money to spend. I'm sure many of us wish that our teams could spend this kind of money, we are talking about tens of millions of dollars. I would also like to add the San Fransisco 49ers and the Tampa Bay Bucs to this list of WTF? I know that the 49ers have at least tried to make a couple small and large moves (they were actually in the great Plaxico gold rush due to throwing him so much money)... but specifically the 49ers have made some questionable moves. I think they cut a couple defensive veterans on their team, when they didn't need to. I wonder if these teams are jockeying towards the future? if not, I would be pissed if I were fan of these franchises

although a pissed-off fan of the following franchises (49ers, Browns, and Bucs) is nothing new in this past decade or two, I suppose

the Eagles made great moves this off-season, nice aggressive moves. if they keep Donte Stallworth, then they might have the best secondary in the past decade or two. HOWEVER (and this is a big however), the Eagles didn't really fix what they needed to fix most - their porous run defense. they needed a line-backer or two, and maybe a defensive lineman the most. we'll see how this one works out

re: Sanchez, sure the Jets did almost beat my Steelers. and sure, the Jets have been to the AFC Championship game the past three years. however, I am still not sold on Sanchez as a QB. I just can't buy what the Jets are selling because while they did make some impressive moves in free agency, their QB is still suspect in my book. a team could have all the greatest receivers in the world, but without a more-than able QB to get them the ball - it means squat

I posted on how puzzling it was to see the Cleveland Browns have such an admirably huge salary cap gap and so much money to spend. I'm sure many of us wish that our teams could spend this kind of money, we are talking about tens of millions of dollars. I would also like to add the San Fransisco 49ers and the Tampa Bay Bucs to this list of WTF? I know that the 49ers have at least tried to make a couple small and large moves (they were actually in the great Plaxico gold rush due to throwing him so much money)... but specifically the 49ers have made some questionable moves. I think they cut a couple defensive veterans on their team, when they didn't need to. I wonder if these teams are jockeying towards the future? if not, I would be pissed if I were fan of these franchises

although a pissed-off fan of the following franchises (49ers, Browns, and Bucs) is nothing new in this past decade or two, I suppose

stallworth for some reason signed with the redskins.

Tampa and the 49ers screwed up real bad....tampa has a great team a few star players away from being a real contender yet they do nothing.

The 49ers were basically in the same spot...but they resign alex smith? Harbough was sitting talking about how in entire team through him under the boss, but i dont know what he sees in this guy that says he can help your team win. Sounds to me like hes just filling a hole till colin kapernick is ready since it was just a 1 year deal

The browns...no idea what to say about them..I thought mike hulmgren was gonna will this team to greatness from the front office?

I think you meant asante samuel..and for 6 mill they might as well keep him thaz not bad(with respect to pro sports: Peyton will make 23 this year)

And they did pick up Cullen Jenkins who has played well in his career thus far..underrated player for sure..and I went to highschool with him.. just sayin lol Belleville!!

As far as teams not spending money the player has to want to go there also so those places you named aren't the most sought after spots.

I think you meant asante samuel..and for 6 mill they might as well keep him thaz not bad(with respect to pro sports: Peyton will make 23 this year)

And they did pick up Cullen Jenkins who has played well in his career thus far..underrated player for sure..and I went to highschool with him.. just sayin lol Belleville!!

As far as teams not spending money the player has to want to go there also so those places you named aren't the most sought after spots.

Well if he meant asante then yes, hes still an eagle he resigned shortly after they got nnamdi...

As far the teams, I dont know how u can say tampa and san fran arnt desirable spots.....Cleavland for sure i can see but not those two other spots

Well if he meant asante then yes, hes still an eagle he resigned shortly after they got nnamdi...

As far the teams, I dont know how u can say tampa and san fran arnt desirable spots.....Cleavland for sure i can see but not those two other spots

As far as weather goes but football is dif from a lot of other sports. Teams with cold weather seem to win more. I agree sf and tb would be a nice area to play in but are you really gonna attract a big time fa when alex smith is your qb?

TB is a good young team but they have a lot to prove and play in a pretty tough division.

well, fwiw I think that all the three teams we've been talking about above are on the up-swing (yes even the Cleveland Browns)

the 49ers have snagged a great H/C in Coach Harbaugh, who has admirable swag and is from a family of solid coaches. they still have to deal with Alex Smith as their QB, though

the Tampa Bay Bucs are perhaps the team that is up-swinging the most here. they had a great season last year, under a first year h/c and seemingly from out of nowhere. they were contenders in their division all season long, which is even more impressive considering it houses Atlanta and New Orleans

even the Cleveland Browns are getting better. last year, rookie Colt McCoy was thrown into the mix and he showed that over time he can evolve into a decent NFL quarterback. also, Mike Holmgren knows what he is doing and is a fantastic football mind. I would say in most NFL divisions, they would be very competitive. it's just a shame they play in the AFC North, where their team has to face off against the Ravens and the Steelers twice in a year... that is brutal for any team these days

I now will leave you all with this picture of James Harrison looking scary

nfl_hitman_harrison-300x300.jpg

As far as weather goes but football is dif from a lot of other sports. Teams with cold weather seem to win more. I agree sf and tb would be a nice area to play in but are you really gonna attract a big time fa when alex smith is your qb?

TB is a good young team but they have a lot to prove and play in a pretty tough division.

oh ok...as far as a destination for a football team, I thought you meant overall when you went ahead and included cleveland in there

in that I feel you on san fran, i dont understand how anyone can have faith in alex smith. hes just not a good qb.

As far as the bucs go, yeah they screwed up and didnt spend like they should have, but i think that means they think the young team they have is enough and is getting better

well, fwiw I think that all the three teams we've been talking about above are on the up-swing (yes even the Cleveland Browns)

the 49ers have snagged a great H/C in Coach Harbaugh, who has admirable swag and is from a family of solid coaches. they still have to deal with Alex Smith as their QB, though

the Tampa Bay Bucs are perhaps the team that is up-swinging the most here. they had a great season last year, under a first year h/c and seemingly from out of nowhere. they were contenders in their division all season long, which is even more impressive considering it houses Atlanta and New Orleans

even the Cleveland Browns are getting better. last year, rookie Colt McCoy was thrown into the mix and he showed that over time he can evolve into a decent NFL quarterback. also, Mike Holmgren knows what he is doing and is a fantastic football mind. I would say in most NFL divisions, they would be very competitive. it's just a shame they play in the AFC North, where their team has to face off against the Ravens and the Steelers twice in a year... that is brutal for any team these days

I now will leave you all with this picture of James Harrison looking scary

nfl_hitman_harrison-300x300.jpg

good post

a buddy of mine is a big 49'ers fan and says the exact same thing
he was pulling real hard for killer cam to drop to the 9ers, that woulda be dope

however i still think colin capernick has a good chance of making an impact

I go to a school in the WAC (the college division that Colin Kapernick played in) and I am really stoked the niners picked him up. He has the potential to be the best QB of this draft year. He is incredibly athletic with a good arm and a good football IQ. Its just frustrating to see the niners have all the pieces of a winning team in what is undoubtedly the worst division in football, yet they keep resigning the guy that has sunk our ship every year since '05. I hope im eating my words in a couple months, but I dont see Alex Smith doing much better this year with or without Harbaugh.

And speaking of Harbaugh, we were very lucky to get him. The dolphins offered him something in the ballpark of 9mil, but he took our offer of 5mil because he wanted to stay in the bay area.

Oh, and Patrick Willis is a fucking beast. Id be scared to run up the middle if I was an RB playing against the niners.

I go to a school in the WAC (the college division that Colin Kapernick played in) and I am really stoked the niners picked him up. He has the potential to be the best QB of this draft year. He is incredibly athletic with a good arm and a good football IQ. Its just frustrating to see the niners have all the pieces of a winning team in what is undoubtedly the worst division in football, yet they keep resigning the guy that has sunk our ship every year since '05. I hope im eating my words in a couple months, but I dont see Alex Smith doing much better this year with or without Harbaugh.

And speaking of Harbaugh, we were very lucky to get him. The dolphins offered him something in the ballpark of 9mil, but he took our offer of 5mil because he wanted to stay in the bay area.

Oh, and Patrick Willis is a fucking beast. Id be scared to run up the middle if I was an RB playing against the niners.

Its gonna be interesting, he broke tebows records and out performed newton in a few areas last year. Its gonna be interesting to see how he does in the NFL. And just you said, i dont see a damn thing positive in Alex Smith, im sorry

Harbough isnt an idiot, hes not gonna leave a good situation to go rot in miami, no freakin way lol

I still think Troy Smith > Alex Smith

but my co-worker, a Niners fan, disregards this vehemently

Status
Not open for further replies.