• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

HELP please unavoidable Xanax Withdrawal cold turkey

SawRED

Greenlighter
Hey, i have been clean of opiates for almost 70 days. Although opiates were definitley my drug of choice I also used to use benzos and more frequently acohol from time to time. Anyways I fucked up. I've been away from where I normally live and have gone on a 10-7 day xanax binge. Not extremely high doses and at first only at night but now all day everyday...except I just took my last one and have no way of getting more. Unfortunately I really cannot tell anyone about this and not only that but I HAVE to be at a job tomorrow and the next day and then I have one day off before I have to take a 4 hour plane ride to my normal residence where I have even less of a chance of being able to get benzos or anything else. This is not a how do I get drugs thread. This is a how do you deal with quitting cold turkey from benzo was absolutely no resources. Can I do it? What helps? Is this dangerous and am I fucked?

um i think if you drink beers or alcohol it can help with xanax withdrawals? if your feel any ..

did you mean 7-10 day binge or 107 day binge? if it was the latter your fucked; go to a hopsital or detox..

7-10 u should be ok as long as you werent taking high doses but im not a dr dude ..

I dont see how you wont feel withdrawals though; but depending on how high your dose was 10 days isnt too bad..

I dont think you will have withdrawl after 7-10 days.

you'll probably be really anxious but if you aren't dependent on xanax then you have a better chance of pulling off going to work. If you are dependent on benzos and are experiencing w/d then head your ass over to a Dr or get more benzos. There's no way in hell I could work if i felt any withdrawal, 7-10 days is cutting it pretty close (especially if you made your way up to a decent dose) but good luck anyhow, maybe if you don't worry yourself about it it wont be as noticeable.

I think that there is a good chance your WD will be tolerable. And congrats on staying off the opiates for so long.

Thanks for the advice, ended up getting out of work for the day but it was barely necessary. So far symptoms aren't too bad if barely noticeable at all. Certainly nothing compared to opiates! I had just heard so many horror stories of benzo w/d I was worried. Anyways thanks again.

in my experience benzo's take a lot longer to become physically addictive when compared to opiates, but when it does come.... fuckyourlife. as in, seek professional help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, ended up getting out of work for the day but it was barely necessary. So far symptoms aren't too bad if barely noticeable at all. Certainly nothing compared to opiates! I had just heard so many horror stories of benzo w/d I was worried. Anyways thanks again.

Taking Xanax for 7-10 days is not comparable to having any kind of opiate habit.

im prescribed 4mg klonopin a day, and i have been addicted to opiates several times over the years. In short I have been stupid and run out of kpins several times, one time a month early (3 month script, 7-10 day early refills each time), and it was bad, bed ridden bad. In fact, just this week I had to CT Klonopin and Opana at the same time. Fuck, oh lord it was not good. My advice, spend some cash to see a good psychiatrist, it will cost you like 40 bucks. Then tell them the truth, whether it is that you developed a habit and want to get off, or that you have an anxiety disorder that you were self-medicating and you are really scared about the outlook. After nearly a decade of illicit benzo use, I finally did this last winter. Now I have a script, for better or worse.

I agree. 7-10 days of xanax wont cause major w/d-if any minor; esp w/ less than 2mg/day. not like 7-10, heck even 5 days of morphine, smack, oxy, etc. would cause w/d's. I take 2mg of KlonoPIN every night. for 10 years. I've forgotten to take them a few times. No big deal. But this one time i forgot it for 3 days (yeah i know how could've i forgot?). I woke up from a mid day nap in an indescribable state. It took me 15 minutes to put two and two togeather, but i realized i forgot my klonopin for 3days!!& was withdrawing-bad. After taking a few pills(3-4 X 1mgtabs), i returned to normal, and even realized in retrospect that i had been really really bitchy for the past 24-36 hrs. So like i'm dependent on clonazepam.

FTR alcohol doesn't substitute for benzodiazepines in withdrawal, benzos only substitute for alcohol in withdrawal.

Alcohol won't stop benzo withdrawal in any respect, but it may just give you the edge you need to go out and function, the real problem is that when the alcohol wears off, you're in an even worse spot than you were before, so it is a very, very short-term solution, enough say, to get you to the ER before you go into seizures.

Congrats on getting through it. If you have anxiety issues check out Relora by NOW FOODS it really works wonders I just suggested this in another thread. It even helped in extreme benzo withdrawal. Just a thought.

I kicked my xanax habit by using magnesium supplements. It is a natural muscle relaxer and helped my brain to stay clam. I didn't have those crazy everything is the end of the world. I swear by it. For me it only took me a week, but wasn't on a high dose of xanax.

Good Luck

I second the magnesium. Once when I ran out of Xanax and was in acute withdrawal the world literally felt like it was ending. I was crying, I couldn't even begin to watch the crime shows I usually love because they were making me SO anxious. Thinking there was no way in hell I was going to sleep I ripped our apartment apart from head to toe searching for a single pill but alas nothing. So took 2,000 mgs of Magnesium as well as 250 mg of Trazodone (prescribed) and managed to fall asleep for a few hours. It was the best sleep ever waking up was horrible knowing I was facing the hell again.

Also RELORA RELORA RELORA ! Swear by it.

Ive been suffering with anxiety for a while. Currently not taking any ADs for it as they were only making everything worse. Never took benzos every day, just when I needed it. On and off since july. But for the past 7 weeks Ive been on alprazolam 2mg for sleep. Dont have to take it for anxiety, im fine during the day. Usually take it every 40hrs as I work night shifts and need something to help me sleep. Over past week Ive managed to taper it down to 1mg without any problems and only try to take it now when I need to.My plan is to go down to dose of 0.25 and stop taking it all together. Is it the right way to taper it ? Will I still get any withdrawl when I stop taking xanax ? Will my anxiety come back ? What should I take to make it easier.Thank you for any replies

If you taper down every couple of weeks to 0.25mg, take it for a week or two and jump off I think you will be ok but keep some on hand just in case you do have physical symptoms of withdrawal. You didnt have a long habit and while the dose was high, the frequency was not so think this shouldnt be so terrible. Im not sure you really need anything other than a taper to do this but your anxiety/insomnia very well could return.