Experimental/Chillout/Ambient/Downtempo/Trip hop MEGATHREAD

PinholeStar

Bluelighter
Just posted this in the non-electronic music forum in response to someone who was looking for ambient/chillout music recommendations, but thought it would probably find a better audience & be better suited to in here.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.......

OK, most of the ambient/chillout music that I listen to is on the psychedelic side of things. Many,many people aren't aware of the absolute treasure trove of artists, labels & just downright stunning & inventive music that exists in this area, because in many cases the only exposure that you're likely to get to it is as a counterbalance to psytrance. "Urrgghh, electronic music", some might say - well, more fool them. I've introduced this side of ambient instrumental music to many people (including some who listen exclusively to guitar-driven music) & have yet to discover a dissatisfied customer -hopefully you'll be one more.....:)

Anyway here goes:

Your best bet is probably to start out with some compilations. Some of my favourites are:

The Fahrenheit Project series on Ultimae Records. They're up to Part 5 now, but all of them are very good, in particular pts. 3-5.

Mountain High on Candyflip Records. Very similar to the Fahrenheit Projects, lots of the same artists, basically if you like them, you'll like this.

Floating Point (Vols. 1 & 2) on Iboga Records. A bit more upbeat than the above, with a few vocal tracks as well.

Wider Horizons on Dragonfly Records. Not as good as the ones above imo, but still worth checking out.

Liquid Sound Design (the chill/dubby part of Dragonfly Records) has pretty much cornered the market in dubby-with-eastern/weird-stuff going over it, so if that's you're bag, or if you're willing to expand your musical horizons, it's a good place to start.

There's some superb ambient dub out there, notably two releases by a guy called Ott : Blumenkraft & Hallucinogen In Dub (which is an album of dub remixes of Hallucinogen tunes).

Artist-wise you could try :

Bass, Sweat & Tears by Gaudi. Lots of world-music influences in there - not to everyone's taste, but some people swear by it.

Ditto for In Search Of A Meaningful Moment by Shulman.

Then there's a whole host of artist albums that you find on the abovementioned Fahrenheit Projects :

Acoustic Plantation Releases by Aural Planet. Superb.

Lightflow also by Aural Planet, also superb.

Hydroponic Garden by Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Distances by H.U.V.A. Network.

and of course........Shpongle!! Highly revered in many corners, they've released 2 albums so far : Are You Shpongled? & Tales Of The Inexpressible, with a 3rd album coming out very soon. Highly inventive, interesting music that's quite unique in many regards.

Mid-90's trip-hoppy stuff is also worth checking out. Portishead & Massive Attack in particular, & Future Sound Of London's Lifeforms album is a masterpiece.

OK, I'll stop there, because I could go on for ages, but hopefully there's something in there that you'll like. Be warned though, some of is seriously chilled - I use a lot of it for aiding with meditation & such-like.

:)

Oh God Shpongle! I cum and cum again and again and...=D

I'll have to check out Aural Planet and Carbon Based Lifeforms...

Thanks

Please tell me everyone will at least sample some Moqita out there. You can buy their CD on cdbaby.com, it's truly worth the trouble.

im also into psychedelic ambient/chillout/dub stuff and i might add several names worth mentioning..

these are alot like shpongle/OTTs stuff so if u like em u might wanna check these out:
kukan dub lagan
phutureprimitive
shulman
entheogenic

stress assassin <- less psychedelic but chill however
red seal <- also less psychedelic but way chill, gots some lyrics too

dj spooky has done some good chillout/dub tunes too.. i like the riddim clash album most

A few more:

Emotivision by Androcell. Ambient dub in a similar style to Ott's work.

Entheogenic & Spontaneous Illumination both by Entheogenic. There's a big Indian/Pakistani-music influence in their stuff, which serves as a good bridge between "Western" ambient & the native music from that region by people like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & his ilk.

Walking Through by Kaya Project. This is the ambient/chillout incarnation of Seb Taylor, better known as Shakta. A fusion of Hawaiian, Indian, European & modern electronic musical influences with some gorgeous instrumentation. Highly recommended.

That Much Closer To The Sun by Abakus. This went down a storm upon it's release last year, Abakus is a guy called Russell Davies who is son of one of the founders of legendary 60's British band The Kinks, Dave Davies, so his musical pedigree is pretty rich. Not as overtly psychedelic as some of the other recommendations I've given but it's perfect summer-music to watch the sun go down & chill to.

i like the "Spirit Zone" compilations, the 2 disc ones have a trance CD and an ambient CD, the ambient ones rock.

^yeah, a lot of those are good :)
Androcell is great.. I've also been liking BNE's 2004 release Life Is... as well as Natural Born Chillers (2005). You guys have to get Ooze!!! Fucking awesome music, I promise.

OT: Pinhole Star you remind me of Dan1584!! haha

Niyaz
B0007W7H98.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

from amazon:
Niyaz is an acoustic electronic project that brings together three prominent musical figures to form an exciting new fusion of traditional Persian music and modern electronics..

lokki said:
phutureprimitive

+10 for Phutureprimitive, Sub Conscious is one of my favorite albums lately.

In the same vein, check out Pitch Black, Ape to Angel.

One of the chillest albums in my collection-- Dub Trees: Nature never did betray the heart that loved her. WIth a title like, that how could it not be amazing?!?!?

Also--Future Sounds of London

Just stumbled across this beautiful album:

"Quiet Letters" by Bliss

One of the most relaxing albums I've heard in a long time. Not quite ambient/electronica as it involves a lot of more conventional instrumentation (strings, an accordion, female vocals), but still fits in the chill vein.

If you like Bebel Gilberto, you'll love this.

I love bebel gilberto.... and her father's music as well. might have to check out your recommendation.

PinholeStar said:
Just posted this in the non-electronic music forum in response to someone who was looking for ambient/chillout music recommendations, but thought it would probably find a better audience & be better suited to in here.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.......

OK, most of the ambient/chillout music that I listen to is on the psychedelic side of things. Many,many people aren't aware of the absolute treasure trove of artists, labels & just downright stunning & inventive music that exists in this area, because in many cases the only exposure that you're likely to get to it is as a counterbalance to psytrance. "Urrgghh, electronic music", some might say - well, more fool them. I've introduced this side of ambient instrumental music to many people (including some who listen exclusively to guitar-driven music) & have yet to discover a dissatisfied customer -hopefully you'll be one more.....:)

Anyway here goes:

Your best bet is probably to start out with some compilations. Some of my favourites are:

The Fahrenheit Project series on Ultimae Records. They're up to Part 5 now, but all of them are very good, in particular pts. 3-5.

Mountain High on Candyflip Records. Very similar to the Fahrenheit Projects, lots of the same artists, basically if you like them, you'll like this.

Floating Point (Vols. 1 & 2) on Iboga Records. A bit more upbeat than the above, with a few vocal tracks as well.

Wider Horizons on Dragonfly Records. Not as good as the ones above imo, but still worth checking out.

Liquid Sound Design (the chill/dubby part of Dragonfly Records) has pretty much cornered the market in dubby-with-eastern/weird-stuff going over it, so if that's you're bag, or if you're willing to expand your musical horizons, it's a good place to start.

There's some superb ambient dub out there, notably two releases by a guy called Ott : Blumenkraft & Hallucinogen In Dub (which is an album of dub remixes of Hallucinogen tunes).

Artist-wise you could try :

Bass, Sweat & Tears by Gaudi. Lots of world-music influences in there - not to everyone's taste, but some people swear by it.

Ditto for In Search Of A Meaningful Moment by Shulman.

Then there's a whole host of artist albums that you find on the abovementioned Fahrenheit Projects :

Acoustic Plantation Releases by Aural Planet. Superb.

Lightflow also by Aural Planet, also superb.

Hydroponic Garden by Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Distances by H.U.V.A. Network.

and of course........Shpongle!! Highly revered in many corners, they've released 2 albums so far : Are You Shpongled? & Tales Of The Inexpressible, with a 3rd album coming out very soon. Highly inventive, interesting music that's quite unique in many regards.

Mid-90's trip-hoppy stuff is also worth checking out. Portishead & Massive Attack in particular, & Future Sound Of London's Lifeforms album is a masterpiece.

OK, I'll stop there, because I could go on for ages, but hopefully there's something in there that you'll like. Be warned though, some of is seriously chilled - I use a lot of it for aiding with meditation & such-like.

Autechre : Incunabula ( their best album )

( Ambient and very dark, I love it )

richard h. kirk as electronic eye

..or maybe as good or better than lifeforms by Future sound of london is their side-project amorphous androgynous.. the album tales of ephidrina.. killz.

i love ambient /chillout, love when you guys make lists like these too

i am loving that Bliss album, man is that beautiful!

gonna add The Starseeds to this list :)

have to add this nice, tidy little track by The Higher Intelligence Agency - Spectral. you can grab it for free here:

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/thehigherintelligenceagency.html

i haven't heard this song in a long time., but i remember i loved it - it's by Vertigo Deluxe - Everything Is

Last edited:
Nice to see my old thread arisen from the ashes. :)

Two albums within this sphere of music that I'm absolutely loving at the moment are:

Elixir by Kaya Project (Seb Taylor/Shakta & his partner Natasha).

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/itc/itc1cd021.html

A follow-up to Walking Through (mentioned above), it's even better in my opinion. A fusion of funky tribal beats and Eastern-tinged melodies & melodic structures. It's amazing, & comes highly recommended.

The other album that's weaving it's magic through the fabric of my mind at the moment is Leaving Home by Solar Fields.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/inr/inr1cd017.html

Solar Fields is a guy called Magnus Birgersson who is something of a legend within his own lifetime. He played the Glade Festival last summer & was receiving standing ovations between each track. A phenomenally talented musician, his latest album is a masterpiece in my eyes.

Just kind, kind music that is good for the soul.