Experimental/Chillout/Ambient/Downtempo/Trip hop MEGATHREAD

Ambient Frequencies - Liquid Mountains...man the name itself is awesome

Some Moby aswell

Moby - Porcelain
Moby - Inside

PinholeStar said:
Their 2nd album The Last Days Of Gravity is even better.

The first track is one of the most beautiful pieces of music that I've ever heard.

Wow, we have really similar tastes man. One of my favorite tracks ever right now is Happy Pills...

I need to find some more music like this. I'm most likely tripping this weekend, so I need another awesome psychedelic musical masterpiece to permeate my being! :D If anyone has recommendations, throw them at me...

my friends are raving about last days of gravity too, but for some reason it's not doing much for me. i didn't think the most recent ott album (skylon) was anything spectacular either. maybe there is something wrong with me. i normally love this stuff.

theapplecore: see if you can find some chillout tracks by enterprise. click here for guidance on what to seek out. his tracks appear on some chillout compiliations that you might dig (light aromas, downbeat liquid, chiller vol. 1) i've never met a downtempo enterprise track that i didn't like ;)

Last edited:
@lterEgo said:
i didn't think the most recent ott album (skylon) was anything spectacular either. maybe there is something wrong with me. i normally love this stuff.

The first time I listened to Skylon, it didn't really grab me at a deep emotional level (well, The Queen of All Everything did)... but as for the rest of the album, it took a few listens through before I finally started appreciating the intricacy of the layering of the music. Just give it time.

TheAppleCore said:
The first time I listened to Skylon, it didn't really grab me at a deep emotional level (well, The Queen of All Everything did)... but as for the rest of the album, it took a few listens through before I finally started appreciating the intricacy of the layering of the music. Just give it time.

agreed! the more i listen to it the more i like it....... i love it so much now, definitely my favorite album of the year so far.......

as far as findin more great artist just goto this page.............
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/World/
my favorite kind of music!

TheAppleCore said:
it took a few listens through before I finally started appreciating the intricacy of the layering of the music. Just give it time.

nice :) it often takes me several listens to get into a new rock album, so i don't know why i was forgetting to extend electronic works that same courtesy. i listened to last days of gravity again over the long weekend and thought it was amazing. there's something to be said for hearing the tunes on some quality monitors instead of my shitty laptop speakers too. i don't doubt that skylon will also earn it's proper place as one of the best downtempo albums of the year as soon as i'm able to give it a fair chance on a nice system.

to stay on-topic, i'll mention that i'm listening to dub syndicate - "fear of a green planet" right now and it's high (!) quality chill. i think it's weird how i've gotten into dub from the back door (progressive psytrance > psydub > classic dub) but i'm definitely happy to have found it %)

I want to add a plug for Anders Ilar-his music is a mix of ambient, minimal techno, glitch/IDM etc. Very beautiful music and very well produced-I have yet to listen to it while tripping, but it's very psychedelic in itself.

Also, Bonobo's "Animal Magic" has been impressing me lately. Lots of intsrumentation, even some sitar/world percussion stuff in there. Very chilled. Enjoy it while smoking, would probably be a good comedown soundtrack too,

DJ Shiva - dubsteppish technoizms

BarefilesFeature-DJShiva.jpg

http://barefiles.com/download.php?id=3246

01. Hxdb feat. Cure - Spill The Beans [Dub]
02. Trillbass - Save Me From Myself [Dub]
03. JKS - Form of Communication (Wascal Remix) [Dub]
04. DZ - Rokko's Lament [Dub]
05. Asusu - Promised The Future [Dubkraft]
06. Misk - Ravens [Dub]
07. 2562 - Moog Dub [Tectonic]
08. Miss Molinari - She Rock Dub [Dub]
09. Dalminjo - And She Said [Deeplay Music]
10. Phaeleh feat. Ngaio - Fire [Dub]
11. Kalon - Haiku [Sandwell District]
12. abZ - Shotgun [Dub]
13. Kode 9 vs. Badawi - Den Of Drumz [Roir]
14. Kyle Geiger - Glide [Drumcode]
15. DJ Shiva & Alien Pimp - Persona Non Grata [Dubkraft]
16. Ramadanman - Carla [Soul Jazz]
17. El Rakkas - Shoot Pigs In The Face [Dub]
18. Konnek Deep - Funky Biscuit [Bare Dubs]
19. Alien Pimp - Flow [Dub]
20. Helixir - Narcotik Dub [7even Records]

Ambient music

Know any good ambient music or just something thats really chill, post it plz!
sigur ross is good and so if Ulrich Schanuss.

brian eno... this should probably go in music and DJs, bawngboy, unless you are particularly interested in ambient music that isn't electronic. I'll leave it here for the time being, though.

Air, dreamstate, enigma, frou frou, lamb, moby, shpongle - off the top of my head.. Will post more later, i have some really good ambient music on my computer at home :)

massive attack, zero 7.

If you don't want to exclude electronic music, then Ozric Tentacles (some albums) and Androcell are a couple of good ones. Pleiadians are pretty good for something still background but more upbeat.

Pander Bear said:
brian eno... this should probably go in music and DJs, bawngboy, unless you are particularly interested in ambient music that isn't electronic. I'll leave it here for the time being, though.
Yea i didnt want to exclude anything that isnt electronic, like sigur ros, and I'd almost consider some radio head too.

shpongle is ambient now? That's not at all what I'd call it.

listen to:
terry riley
erik satie
karlheinz stockhausen
(some) pink floyd (interstellar overdrive, ummagumma)
aphex twin (selected ambient works)
boards of canada
stars of the lid
vangelis
klaus schulze
bill laswell

and listen to Hearts of Space every week. <3 :)

^ Some of shpongle is ambient, there a lot of different elements of ambient music though. I like psy trance so there is a ps/ambient element.

Massive attack is the best as is aphex twin.
Those are pretty good, I like more of the lyricless type tho. Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s50jAWtCdQ,

Yeah i love stuff like that too. I have a lot of really chill ambient music on my comp at home, with no lyrics, il post it once i remember the names.

Last edited:
I am rather partial to:

aphex twin - selected ambient works.
brian eno - most of his work, actually.

dark ambient:

robert rich
lustmord (it can get monotonous though)

ebola

Stars of the Lid have released a few critically acclaimed releases in the past ten or so years. Brian Eno is considered the patriarch of ambient. Steve Roach and Robert Rich know what they are doing. Some of Aphex Twin's work may classify as ambient. And it's good stuff. Lustmord, Tangerine Dream, and Robert Fripp also should be mentioned.

^ ...definitely check out Steve Roach, and Chuck Wild (Liquid Mind) too. There are radio stations that broadcast ambient sound...NPR has some ...tailor made for trippin out and come downs...W-XPN.org W-FUV (Fordham U) are a couple I have listened to, I'm sure you can check out what NPR stations are available in your area...Steve Bartholomew is another I recently came across.

Last edited: