Experimental/Chillout/Ambient/Downtempo/Trip hop MEGATHREAD

I've been listening to V.A. - Chillogram off Peak records, V.A. - Mountain High 2 off Candyflip Records, and V.A. - Kumharas Vol 4 off Hoots Records

Also got a copy of Thievery Corps cd Richest Man and Babylon, and I finally got ahold of Supperclub vol 3 La Salle Neige...woooot

nuele said:
I'm lookin for some Ambient DJs

-nuele

Dr Alex Patterson does many a good ambient set. The Orb in general should be next on your shopping list. Start with... The Orb´s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld, maybe Cydonia, and then get them all. :)

Also, Mixmaster Morris aka The Irresistible Force - he's done loads of great ambient stuff, mixes too.

Future Sound Of London - they do a lot of radio shows, and live sets, and all that jazz. Start with the ISDN cd, then get all their albums, and if you pm me I can give you an ftp to get a whole bunch of live stuff. ;)

Got Awesome? said:
Also, Mixmaster Morris aka The Irresistible Force - he's done loads of great ambient stuff, mixes too.

saw him on the 4th this year at freedom festival. oddly enough he went on first and me and my buddy were pretty much his entire audience. but i enjoyed his set nonethelsss.

Been beaten to most of the good ones, but I'll whack in a few recommendations of my own.

Vibrasphere: try archepeigo [no, I can't spell that :D] or selected downbeats, beautiful laid-back chilled out as fuck tranciness, the aural equivilant of a beach, two palm trees and a hammock

Man With No Name: Shpongle - drug references - a little silliness + frenchness = MWNN :) Downtempo psy for the thinking man

Also check out some liquid drum&bass, anything on Hospital Records will do, check out one of their compilations (start early) if you're unfamiliar. 160bpm has never sounded so relaxing :D

The Orb in general should be next on your shopping list. Start with... The Orb´s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld, maybe Cydonia, and then get them all.

Totally :D I find ABTU a mite silly though, maybe try a bit earlier, I like UFOrb a lot myself.

+A million for whoever suggested Future Sound Of London as well, although their music can be too emotive for easy listening, Dead Cities and Lifeforms (especially lifeforms, listening to that tripping is a fucking experience) do wonderful, terrible things to my head! Avoid their uptempo stuff though, it was good once but the years have not treated it well!

Ooh, Global Communication as well, utterly minimalist, you'll either love it or hate it, I've done both!

Some nice lists posted here people...
might i add..

=-=chill/psy-chill:=-= [ although i find a lot of ambient/drones HIGHLY PSYCHEDELIC ,same for IDM/Abstract/Ambient albums...]
Galaxy [ Borris Blenn/Electric Universe sideproject]
Akasha Project - Cosmic Ambient Garden

Electrypnose - Subliminal Melancholies --- great chill/ambient with idm elements/breaks, varies a lot, great album. [just a track to see for yerselves]

mmm, VA - Schlabbaduerst Rekkords 6 , the chill one from the series.. great...

Psyfactor - Endless Universe

=-=IDM/Ambient=-=
Displacer - Moon Phase
Ab Ovo - Empreintes
Polyspace - Tactual Sense
Dither - Neve
Autechre - Tri Repetae
Autechre - Amber
Antigen Shift - The Way To The North
Bola - Soup
Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi
=-=AMBIENT=-=Almost everything done by:
Vidna Obmana
Robert Rich
Steve Roach
Vir Unis
Biosphere
Tom Heasley
Matthew Florianz [www.matthewflorianz.com , has some free mp3s,high-res samples in shop, _gift_ ]

individual albums suggestions:
Tom Heasley - Desert Triptych [must have for didgeridoo fans]
Stevie Be Zet - Archaic Modulation [utopic,dreamy ambient..]
Vidna Obmana - The River Of Appearance [emotional...]
Oliver Lieb - Constellations [spacy..]
Matthew Florianz & Joris de Man & Erik T'Sas - Electronic Forest
Pete Namlook & Biosphere - Fires Of Ork
Pete Namlook - Music For Urban Meditation

Very Dark ambient:
Brian Lustmord
Camanecroszcope [ http://www.discogs.com/release/217768 ]

Shaolin Wooden Men - Binary Input To Flesh Antenna [experimental]

mm also some of Plastikman [Richie Hawin alias..] .. Plastikman - Musik , Plastikman - Closer , for the minimal side of ambient, with a few techno upbeat tracks now and then... niiiice.

well , i could go on and on and ... & again on and on and on for ages, so here i stop.

Post Rock:

The Album Leaf (wow..good acoustic/electric stuff)
Explosions In The Sky
Tarentel
Tristeza

+ Godspeed You! Black Emperror [classic]

post-rock/electronic[?] : Porcupine Tree - Voyage34:The Complete Trip [trippers get this]
2 By Bukowski [out on www.poetanegra.com ]
Stars From The Lid [they use mainly guitars as fas as I know although they create a droney/ambient atmosphere]..

mm ok.

Hey everyone

there is one ablum you guys have to add to this list, my bad if its already been said

YOUNGER BROTHER - A flock of bleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously......this album takes you on a journy.

take care all :)

Also, i wouldnt call it ambeint/chill but another great trip album is Talpa - The art of being non

http://www.mixotic.net has a few ambient sets that are superb, (and free/legal as far as I can tell)

Baumgeist - "Alles was ist"

In Vitro - "Less Pollution More Ambient" and "Gaia"

Thanks to you folks for some great recommendations=D

I love the biosphere-substrata

Solar Fields-blue moon station

Carbon based life forms hydroponic garden and world of sleepers

Younger brother is fantastic.

I have a large collection of Mr. Dr. Alex Patterson of the Orb I for strictly ambient alien bucket emptying strangeness. Its all legally distributed as well so feel free to PM me and I could help you conduct its acquisition.

I lost an ooze cd months ago, but great stuff.

I have the shpongle eclipse set. Can anyone recommend something similar?

I'd classify Sigur Ros under Post-Rock too, as does wikipedia. Icelandic group with great, interesting soundscapes and beautiful vocals. I especially like their album Ágætis byrjun.

Shpongle (Y)(Y)
OTT (Y)(Y)
VA - Chill In India (Y)(Y)
Deep Forest (Y)(Y)
VA - Spaceships of the imagination (Y)(Y)
Thievery Corporation (Y)
Entheogenic (Y)
Vibrasphere (Y)

Dub Trees (N)
Solar Fields (N)(N)
Kukan Dub Lagan (N)(N)

Last edited:
Pig dog said:
Hey everyone

there is one ablum you guys have to add to this list, my bad if its already been said

YOUNGER BROTHER - A flock of bleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously......this album takes you on a journy.

Their 2nd album The Last Days Of Gravity is even better.

The first track is one of the most beautiful pieces of music that I've ever heard.

Has anyone some suggestons of completely beat-free ambient- kinda dark sounding (not evil but eerie) but no beat....? Any suggestions? Its more for a meditational kinda listen....Me finds the beat destracts me mind.

swilow said:
Has anyone some suggestons of completely beat-free ambient

classic ambient goodness: brian eno
recent ambient goodness: single cell orchestra
somewhere in between: harold budd

second the eno recommendation. these ones do it for me-
Ambient 3 Plateux of Mirrors
Ambient 4 On Land,
Apollo-Atmospheres & Soundtracks

Also the em:t label cd's.

swilow said:
Has anyone some suggestons of completely beat-free ambient- kinda dark sounding (not evil but eerie) but no beat....? Any suggestions? Its more for a meditational kinda listen....Me finds the beat destracts me mind.

Lustmord has some incredible dark deep drone, all of the albums I have listened to by him are fantastic drony beatless and dark.

Robert Rich and Lustmords collaboration "Stalker" is a wonderful beatless drone album.

Steve Roach has some eerie stuff out there, check out his album Kiva it always gives me the chills in a good way and is beat free.

Check out Evan Bartholomew's Secret Entries Into Darkness, not absolutely beat free but deep eerie and meditative.

Check out Vidna Obmana's Surreal Sanctuary as well, droney with some subtle ethnic instrumentation sparsely placed throughout.

I know you said beatless but Unis's Pulse n Atmo is an incredibly hypnotic beat driven ambient album that everyon NEEDS to listen to.

I would also say once more that EVERYONE owes it to themselves to check out the works of matt hillier, aka Ishq/Ishvara/Indigo Egg/Elemental Journeys/Elve and his newest work as Colourform, not at all dark but beautiful truly ambient masterpieces.

I haven't read the entire thread, so some of this has probably been mentioned, but all of these are good artists/groups:

Solar Fields
Shpongle
Aes Dana
Entheogenic
Higher Intelligence Agency
Biosphere
Flooting Grooves
Massive Attack
Theivery Corporation
Deep Forest
Boards Of Canada
The Orb
B12
Younger Brother
Old Aphex Twin
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Ott
Trentemoller

'Twas Fuckin' Awesome...

There us'dta be
a stream
on
www.smoothbeats.com
in
the
'ambient'
section
that was hook'd to a
mic
sittin' in tha middle of an Oak Forest...
...it was awesome fo'...
..well...
...it was jus' awesome...
it stream'd at 64 an' only us'd
'Realplayer'...
...but damn that was good...
It wasn't a loop
or nuttin'...
jus' someone run live-feed-Oak...

...but I went huntin' fo' about 15 minutes,
an' smoothbeats has chang'd their format...

So,
if anyones keen...
...it was really good fo' certain situations,
&
if I fin'dit before someone in'rest'd,
I'll link it...

PEACE
UnS
:| %)