Renamed: Upgrade Discussion Thread

Changed

Bluelight Crew
Let me air my grievances:

-The old theme was much smaller and less graphic-dense. I use a netbook with a 10" screen and minimal processing power-- this supposed update to improve performance actually makes BL virtually unusable.

-Opening more than one tab of BL results in me being logged out of my account on all tabs.

-Viewing the list of forums now means I have to scroll down ten times to see all the information. Even on the main page, I have to scroll down three times to see all the information on the page.

Grievance 1 and 3 raise the question: when will we be able to pick from a list of themes that fit our preferences?

The old theme was not available for this version of vBulletin. Many people are not aware, but these themes aren't free, they have to be purchased.

The forums are loading a bit slow for a lot of people right now as many people re-enter the site. We'll be troubleshooting issues as they come up, but thanks for letting us know that you're getting logged out when opening multiple tabs.

Have you tried clicking the "Remember Me" box?
This should solve you logging out issue with multiple tabs.

-The old theme was much smaller and less graphic-dense. I use a netbook with a 10" screen and minimal processing power-- this supposed update to improve performance actually makes BL virtually unusable.

-Opening more than one tab of BL results in me being logged out of my account on all tabs.

-Viewing the list of forums now means I have to scroll down ten times to see all the information. Even on the main page, I have to scroll down three times to see all the information on the page.

Grievance 1 and 3 raise the question: when will we be able to pick from a list of themes that fit our preferences?

So you think that they should accommodate the way that bluelight looks, because you have a shitty little computer? Guess what? Not everyone has a 2 dollar computer they got in a happy meal from mcdonalds.

I like the theme. The only things I dont like is that yall took away the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen. Now I have to scrool back to the top to get out of the thread.

Also, there seems to be no text wrap in the quick reply window. Like instead of going to a new line it will just cut the word in half. Its kind of weird.

Everything else is straight, tho. Good work.

The themes that I saw for this version of vBulletin all seemed similar in this regard so I'm not sure we had a whole lot of choice here. If you find a skin that you think is more suitable, let us know and we'll consider it if we have the available funds or you'd like to foot the bill ;)

We'll be working on the mobile version more in coming days as well so that's another option for a more stripped-down version for users will less processing power.

This doesn't seem to be the case for anyone else I've talked to so I'm guessing this is a setting or some other issues unique to your browser or something, hopefully someone will be able to help you with that one.

As mentioned, the themes cost money and given that BL exists on a shoestring budget because we don't subject users to a barrage of ads or membership fees, we can't buy a number of themes to cater to user preferences.

I thought it was a bit bulky too, but if you zoom out once or twice in firefox it helps.

the site just came back up.. everyone is coming back in massives

you should expect it to be a little sluggish while the adjustment period is going on.. it wont be like this for long.. be patient, the site JUST came back up

The whole site is loading slow. Just wait it's only been up for a little bit and if you really want to complain about it make a thread in support.

^ yep.

Please direct this type of discussion to support in the future.

BDD>>>>>Support

"This doesn't seem to be the case for anyone else I've talked to so I'm guessing this is a setting or some other issues unique to your browser or something, hopefully someone will be able to help you with that one"

It does the same thing with me too....but the "remember me" button takes care of it...using a netbook also, attwifi network. Other than that seems O.K.

^ I'm glad using 'remember me' fixes it!

Also feel free to quote someone by hitting the
quote.gif
button next to
reply_small.gif
. If you only want to quote a portion of someone's post, you can always hit quote, then edit out the extraneous text.

Search function not working properly?

Hey i cannot get search to work right. Searching, for example, for "4-mec" i get no results when there are ofcourse many. Too short a term, or what?
As help and for some harm reduction could someone please link to the 4-MEC megathread?
I did try searching for megathread but that did not work either.

Also, is there any way to search by category/prefix (eg opiates, RC's, etc) with the new board?

thanks in advance !

^ it seems searching with tags has not been incorporated yet and yes, 4-mec is likely too short so we'll add it shortly - we maintain a list of drug abbreviations and such that override the minimum limits in the search but unfortunately our engineers aren't versed on all the RC's en vogue at the moment.

Lol Good luck finding one

My point exactly.

And as to the original complaint of this thread - the forum has been up for a few hours and we're still tweaking things under the load of new users. There will be faster and slower times during the next few days. :)

alrighty.

any reason why separate searches for "megathread" and "mega" in titles yielded a fraction of the threads that should have come up, not including the 4-mec thread im looking for? What i mean is, is this probably just because BL just got back?
Sometimes in the past threads i know exist have failed to show up in searches that would definitely give em as results in a perfect world, was hoping with all the updating that wouldnt happen anymore.

i also agree. i can't stop puking from the new theme, and i've straight up left forums before because the new format they switched it too was so unappealing. part of the reason why i came to BL the most was because the forum was so crisp looking, uncluttered, and the dark shade of blue was nice and easy on the eyes. the old BL literally had the perfect theme enabled.

i used to hate the way the opiophile forum looked, but as of now the opiophile forum looks better than this one.

sorry to dish out so much hate, but i honestly can't stand the way it looks now. everything is too "big" and cluttered now, and if you zoom out it's slightly too small.

please please please, do something about trying to get the old theme back, or the one that matches it the best. honestly i think the forum shouldn't have been updated at all, if that's the only option that allows us to get the way things back to where they used to be. something has to be done.

also that annoying yellow "auto saved" annoys the fuck out of me too when i'm thinking during my posts.

fuckin A... it's always a matter of time before a good forum tries to change something to "upgrade" it, that ultimately makes it unappealing and repulsive. i loathe the new look so much i'll definitely not be stopping by as often.