Renamed: Upgrade Discussion Thread

I merged all the Upgrade threads and renamed it.
If things are mix matched, this is why :)
Let's keep our focus on the Upgrade and things you are noticing that are in need of attention rather than "I don't like the look" . The look is different and will take time for some to get used to but I'm sure you all will.

Upon zooming out (on Failfox), the theme looks a little bit better. I mean, after seeing the responses from admins, I can't expect anything more than a working, up to date forum with vBulletin running the show. It almost makes me sad that no one can have a website without paying some bookoo bucks. However, it's the world we live in.

Thank you, everyone, for keeping this place stable and working for mostly all of us, minus a few that will simply have to adjust the settings themselves. Yeah, it's not pretty. Yeah, I absolutely loved the old look. But if we can't have it any more, we can't have it any more. No need to get angry and upset over spilled milk. Clean it up and keep the conversations running.

Ok, maybe I am doing it wrong, but i cant get the nsfw button to work. When I hit the button the text is wrapped with instead of NSFW. I had to physically type it in there to make it work.

I was wondering, why on earth the legend for unread forum posts wasn't displaying properly.. but as i understand it on the front page of the forums the 'white circle' legend indicates unread forum posts, while the blue circle legend indicates no unread forums posts. Am i the only one that find's this confusing, i'm so use to it been the other way around on other forums.. i'm sure i'll adjust to it in a few days ;)

is there a setting to make it easier to see if someone has made a new post in a thread i've looked at? i find the colors to be very similar looking between threads that have been updated vs. those that are in the same state since i last visited them, and if there were a way to make the threads that had new posts in them to be more "bold" looking, that would help me out a lot.

Good job guys :). I'm working on a software upgrade at work, and it's incredibly time-consuming, even with paid developers working on it full time. So I really appreciate you guys, especially Chr1.5 and Hoptis, doing this for free in your spare time :)

One question: is there a mobile theme, or are we (as I suspect) using the default theme on mobiles too, for reasons of $$?

I have to admit at first I was like ew when I saw the upgrade but that's how I am for every site when I see it changed. It's just looks so different to you that you think wow I really don't like it but of course after you get use to it then it looks great/normal. Anyways now that I've been on it a little more today I actually like it a lot... the zooming out also helped make it look a lot less bulky and better as well. So all I can say thanks guys for the upgrade...even though there are a few glitches that others have mentioned I'm not too worried since I know they will be fixed eventually.

Perhaps an explanation of what, exactly, has been improved might make this bitter pill a bit easier to swallow on the part of your users?
Calling it a bitter pill is hardly appropriate. Yes, the skin is perhaps lacking, but that can be tackled at any time.

You said yourself that you're hardly around, so perhaps you haven't experienced the myriad of problems that the board has been experiencing for the past 6-12 months: crazy time outs, delayed log-ins, random slow downs... blah, blah, blah. The more regular users will, no doubt, appreciate the performance improvement... even if it does come at the expense of the cherished aesthetics and with the introduction of some fairly esoteric 'features'.

Movement to a new provider/server alone may well have tackled the performance problems... but it'd be crazy not to upgrade the site during that window of opportunity. If you've run a board yourself, you should know that older versions of software are only supported for so long. Yes, Jelsoft still issue security updates for the old version (I have a vBulletin license and I still get them), but I'm happy that Bluelight is at least in a position where it can take advantage of the newest releases.

Maybe we should commission a competition to design a skin or associated artwork?

GLITCH

People's profiles have a link to 'articles'.

I assume 'articles' could be things that people contribute to the Front page, but under how BL works, articles are actually an admin-only privilege for making announcements?

Hoptis appears to be the only one with an 'article': http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/list/author/32490-hoptis

Oh, and if you remove the author's ID number in the url: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/list/author/

...it displays user no.1: Flakoz! :D

The fact that bl is up and running again exceeds the dislike that i have for the skin. Thanks to everyone who worked towards this plus the site is now much faster than when i logged in yesterday.

Clicked Thread Tools > Mark This Forum Read. Waited. Waited. Clicked again. Nothing happened. Originally tried in the Reported Posts forum but repeated in Healthy Living.

I have the new default theme obviously, but it's zoomed in--I have had issues with certain websites when they're zoomed in, with different buttons not working as they should. I'm using Firefox 5.0. Cannot figure out how to tell what percentage I'm zoomed in at, but I know it's two or three times.

Kept getting this error when I was trying to navigate anywhere a few minutes ago:

2011-07-24_1000.png

Also, is there a way to tab out of the quick reply box? Used to be able to hit tab and be taken to "post." Not sure if it just requires holding down shift or if there's no way to get this "feature" back. :p

Hey guys in the next hour I have to take the board offline for an emergency fix, nothing major but you'll have to look at the status screen again, won't be more than 30 mins. Sorry!

Middle mouse button (in firefox)
I'm on a laptop, so that doesn't help--But thanks! :p

Hey guys in the next hour I have to take the board offline for an emergency fix, nothing major but you'll have to look at the status screen again, won't be more than 30 mins. Sorry!
Not a problem, hoptis. Thank you (and everyone else involved!) for keeping this forum alive. :)