• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does kratom have SSRI properties?

thurston

Bluelighter
The title says it all. I did some searching and couldnt find an answer. Im using kratom to combat opiate withdraw but im getting some wicked ssri wd symptoms when the kratom wears off. Ive been through ssri withdraw and it sucks.

i'd like to know too--any literature available? it sure feels like there is some serotonin action, and i know what you mean about the soulless WD that it can have. i never had severe WDs, just very mild ones, but i shudder to think of true kratom WD. since kratom is so short-acting also, it can be hard to taper off with. i've read some reports on here that described similar symptoms as with WDing from SSRI's or tramadol.

I remember reading that there was, but can't recall the source and I can't say it's accurate. I'd like to see literature as well.

I've read that kratom has some interaction with serotonin of some sort. Not sure how selective it is, though.

Someone on Erowid reports using it for setraline withdrawal.

I'll see if I can find any papers on this today, will report back later...

My experience was ssri wd was on setriline(zoloft) and it feels the same just not as bad.

Thanks for the link I cant believe I didnt see that, I read the new experience reports every day. Do any mods think we might get more input if this thread is moved to ADD?

would taking kratom on the same day as taking a serotonin effecting drug posses any dangers? Similar to tramadol? I was gonna take some as this 2ce has worn off but reading about this made me think otherwise.

would taking kratom on the same day as taking a serotonin effecting drug posses any dangers? Similar to tramadol? I was gonna take some as this 2ce has worn off but reading about this made me think otherwise.

No issues have been reported from using kratom daily, before, during, and after 2c-e but of course this doesn't mean it's safe. Just no issues to report with this combo from me. This also goes with methylone, MDMA and other T&P compounds.

Some alkaloids of Kratom do affect certain monamines such as serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, etc. its not so much an SSRI as a non selective reversable MAOI similar to how a specific kavalactone in kava is a non selective reversable MAO-B I

Kratom does have monoaminergic amines but I don't think it has any MAO compounds (or SSRI).

I hope Im not being too naughty by resurrecting this thread, but it seems as though this is a pretty important topic, as Ive been using kratom daily for a year for well being mostly. Ive used LSD and psilocybin even simultianeously with kratom with seemingly no effects, now would this be potentially more dangerous to combine with psychoactive cacti? Should I ween off kratom and abstain for a few days prior to indulging? Cacti contain tyromine and maois as well. Sounds like it might be pushing it with this one. NO?

Well I take an SSRI and have used Kratom without getting serotonin syndrome, and if I'm not incorrect combining 2 strong SSRIs can often do that, so I don't think that it is an SSRI.

Well Strong or not, there is a risk involved if it it has these elements in it. But thank you Mycophile, better safe than sorry. Also I may have these properties built up in my system from daily use for an extended period, which may have a more potent effect

jesus christ this thread is old.

anyway, I'd definitely abstain from Kratom before you start wolfing down cacti.

Better safe than sorry, indeed.

I apologise Sir, it has been sort of a pressing issue and this one does seem to be something that could be very useful to others besides me who would like to find more info on using obscure entheogens that have little info or studies done on them