Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread The Netflix Mega-thread vs Netflix Originals Suck

I have a few to add... The Sentinel-horror movie on watch instantly
The Office Seasons 1-6
Wire In The Blood Seasons 1-5- AN AWESOME SHOW!!! WAY better than
all the CSI's combined!! And, each season gets better and better...

I'll add more soon...

i watched a cool movie the other night called Humboldt County.
hc-poster-small.jpg

ego_loss got me hooked on blue mountain state this weekend. the first two seasons are on instant play.

^^
this.

Blue Mountain State is one of the best things to happen to television. Season 1 is insanely funny. Season 2 has amazing characters, but is slightly less concerned with storyline. I hope and prey that season 3 is an acceptable combination of seasons 1 & 2. Either way, it's not the kind of show that "needs" plot development. It's awesome humour period.

Great movies listed here! gonna make sure i check out some of em.

Right now, im currently on an Asian movie craze. I just watched Red Cliff and Ip Man, both were incredible. Gonna watch Warlord(s?), has Jet Li in it.

Anyone have any good reccomendations as far as these movies go? Doesnt necessarily have to be on the instant play.

I didn't know a better way to put together a list of the gems that are hiding in Netflix's instant play selection than to just ask.

I've found:
Hackers
Big Lebowski
Jackie Brown
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Go
Human Traffic
Groove
Juon 2
the entire "Universe" series from National Geographic

I hope some of you have Netflix and watch a shitload of movies all the time like me, so we can put together a list of the badass movies that can be watched instantly. Don't forget to add good anime and documentary titles to the list, as well as tv shows.

if you like scary movies...then watch...

THEM!

its romanian. fucking excellent. thank me later :)

upright citizens brigade: assssscat live

the state (every episode)

^ Three shit-eating grins in a pink patterned PT Cruiser... ugh.
Oh wow, that is hideous looking. One has to wonder why they went with that, especially since at no point in the movie are those three characters ever together in that car at the same time. It's not exactly a sassy light-hearted road movie like that image conveys, either. I thought the movie was decent, though.

The Dynamite Warrior recommendation reminded me that Black Dynamite is on instant. I was pretty inebriated but I thought it was hilarious. It's a totally absurd kung-fu blaxploitation parody whose plot consists partly of "the man" trying to poison malt liquor going into the ghetto. I had never even heard of it before.

I have not watched it yet, but Enter the Void is on Instant in HD.

edit:
and Dogtooth is a really strange Greek movie that is worth watching.

For those interested in learning some really cool shit, Joseph Cambell's Mythos I and Mythos II lecture series are fantastic.
Nice recommendation. If you haven't read it check out the full text of Sir James George Frazer's The Golden Bough on Project Gutenberg. Of particular interest to you will be the chapter on "Sympathetic Magic," which comprises two anthropological principals that explain magical beliefs across time and culture. It also elucidates the subconscious metaphors that underlie the intuitive understandings of much of New Age practice, homeopathic medicine, Chinese medicine, and other nonsense that's widely subscribed to contemporarily.

Instant view now has The Secret of Kells, a somewhat unknown animated film nominated for Best Animated Picture that in my opinion easily deserved the Oscar over "Up". It is the story of Ireland's finest cultural artifact, the Book of Kells, an "illuminated" (illustrated) book of the first four chapters of the New Testament, and it's unlike anything I've seen. The film is not overtly religious at all, but the animation is extraordinarily ethereal in its aesthetic, I mean straight out of a rapturous psychedelic vision. Don't be put off by the very 2D animation, it is meant to reflect the illustrations in the Book of Kells, and within a half hour you will come to appreciate the stylistic choice if you have any soul at all.

Check out this scene if you're on the fence.