• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax withdrawal after a week?

Trigeminal

Bluelighter
I was trying to use Xanax to quit Suboxone, and my plan failed, as usual. Anyway, I took 16 mg xanax over roughly the past week. My schedule was something like 2 mg one night, a couple of days later, 4 mg, day after that, 6 mg, and 5 days later, 4 mg. That was Monday night. Anyway, yesterday and today I haven't been feeling so great. It felt similar to Suboxone withdrawal (sweating, malaise, etc.), but I even increased my Suboxone dose, and that didn't help.

I can't tell if this is xanax withdrawal or not, as I've never benzo withdrawal before. The thing is, I've heard anxiety is one of the bad problems with the withdrawal, and I have no anxiety at all. I'm not having any mental problems (I'm not craving Xanax, no anxiety, etc.)--I just don't feel so great.

Could this be withdrawal? And if so, how long could I expect it to last? Also, I have 2 mg of Xanax left, if anyone thinks I could taper with that at all.

Did you have a benzo tolerance, or past experience with benzos, when you started taking the xanax? If so, then a week may have been sufficient to develop a habit.

If not, then in my view it is more likely that what you're feeling is suboxone WD's, although it is strange that taking suboxone doesn't make you feel better. Remember that subs WD's last around or at least 2 weeks, so at only 1 week it makes sense that you'd still be feeling low.

It's definitely possible to get symptoms from that period of use. I wouldn't try to taper but maybe take a tiny amount if you feel really horrible, like 0.25mg and only when absolutely necessary. Hopefully you just feel better in the next few days though.

Do you drink heavily, and did you use any benzos recreationally or otherwise in the week or so before starting your taper plan, and have you ever previously been addicted to benzos, alcohol, or barbituates?

From your post, it sounds like you only actually used the xanax on four particular occasions, only two of them on consecutive days, and the last five days following the previous incidence...is that correct? With the pattern of use that you had, especially given that you used the xanax on only four occasions, I think that it's almost impossible that you're experiencing benzo withdrawal.

Can I ask what your dose of buprenorphine usually is, what dose you took today, and what route of administration you use? Do you use any other drugs regularly, and have you been able to sleep these past few days?

What you're feeling doesn't sound like how benzo withdrawal is generally manifested. While it is certainly possible that you are experiencing withdrawal, from your post that does not seem particularly likely unless there are other factors involved that you didn't mention.

Last edited:
Do you drink heavily, and did you use any benzos recreationally or otherwise in the week or so before starting your taper plan, and have you ever previously been addicted to benzos, alcohol, or barbituates?

From your post, it sounds like you only actually used the xanax on four particular occasions, only two of them on consecutive days, and the last five days following the previous incidence...is that correct? With the pattern of use that you had, especially given that you used the xanax on only four occasions, I think that it's almost impossible that you're experiencing benzo withdrawal.

Can I ask what your dose of buprenorphine usually is, what dose you took today, and what route of administration you use? Do you use any other drugs regularly, and have you been able to sleep these past few days?

What you're feeling doesn't sound like how benzo withdrawal is generally manifested. While it is certainly possible that you are experiencing withdrawal, from your post that does not seem particularly likely unless there are other factors involved that you didn't mention.
I rarely drink, and the last time I used benzos before this week was about 2 months ago, when I took 1 mg of klonopin (just the once). Before that was last year, I used klonopin probably 5 times (October to November). I have never been addicted to alcohol, benzos, or barbituates. Only opiates.

Regarding my usage of Xanax--that is correct. Only 4 times, and only twice on consecutive days.

My usually dose of bupe is 2 mg a day, sublingual (occasionally snorting it, but rarely). Today I took 4 mg because of how I was feeling. I don't take any other drugs regularly, just suboxone. The last few nights I've been sleeping fine, actually better than usual.

After my first post, I exercised, and felt a lot better, almost 100%. However, after I read the replies in this thread, I panicked a little (before I read yours), and I have had some symptoms of benzo withdrawal--anxiety, my body feels tingly. It's been about 80 hours since my last dose of xanax, and this is by far the worst I've felt. I just took 0.25 mg because the thing I'm most afraid of is a seizure. I took it 30 minutes ago and I feel about the same, though.

Thank-you everyone for your replies. Should I just try to ride this out, or go see a doctor? I don't care about any symptom except the possibility of a seizure. The thing is, I'm taking the suboxone unprescribed, so I'm worried if I went to a doctor and came clean about the suboxone and the xanax they would force me into inpatient rehab or something.

Last edited:
^with the dose you were on and the length of time you were taking it, a seizure is highly unlikely.

A lot of these symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal (anxiety, malaise, etc) can also be caused by worrying about it, so it becomes a bit confusing as to the cause.

You may have a very, very small physiological dependence on benzodiazepines and may experience some discomfort if you stop taking the alprazolam abruptly, but you can set your mind at ease as far as seizures and the more severe effects go.

^with the dose you were on and the length of time you were taking it, a seizure is highly unlikely.

A lot of these symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal (anxiety, malaise, etc) can also be caused by worrying about it, so it becomes a bit confusing as to the cause.

You may have a very, very small physiological dependence on benzodiazepines and may experience some discomfort if you stop taking the alprazolam abruptly, but you can set your mind at ease as far as seizures and the more severe effects go.

Yes, when I start thinking about it, is by far when I start feeling the worst.

Short answer: No, no chance in hell you've got benzo WD, given your pattern of use and previous history. The most prevalent symptom is anxiety. Your symptoms fit perfectly with opiate WD.
Thank-you for your comment, that is quite reassuring to hear. I also felt my symptoms felt consistent with opiate withdrawal, however, yesterday I ended up taking 6 mg of suboxone (4 sublingual 2 snorted) and it didn't help me, I just ended up feeling worse. I've also withdrawn from suboxone before, and last night felt similar but definitely different.

From your post, it feels like you are quite sure Xanax is not the problem. So maybe it's something else entirely?

I'm also on buprenorphine (Subutex) and I am also prescribed Xanax 2mg tds. My Subutex dosage is 4-8mg IV daily and I do not take the alprazolam as prescribed. My fiance and I generally binge and in between scripts we will purchase Xanax, or Rivotril or Valium on the street. On Tuesday last week, I experienced my fourth grand mal seizure in around 2-3 years. My fiance was with me and she has told me after previous episodes, especially the first one, that it is absolutely horrifying to watch.

She says it looks as though I will never come out of it and if I do I will be retarded, muscles become all contorted, moaning and making odd noises, I remain unconscious except for sudden panicked outbursts where I would come around briefly screaming and totally disoriented, quickly losing consciousness again. As has happened with the seizures that I have had previously, I have regained consciousness and somewhat confused. I have a piercing headache as if I'd been Narcain'ed and I'm always extremely tired after I come around. Never have any memory of the event.

We tend to binge with regards to our Xanax use and both take rather large doses; for example, at least 10mg alprazolam, sometimes as much as 20-30mg and we have enjoyed a cocktail of 10mg alprazolam, 100mg diazepam and 20mg clonazepam on many occasions. We will indulge heavily for a few days at most (will be outta pills by then!), and I have never experienced any withdrawal symptoms aside from the seizures and my fiance hasn't experienced any withdrawal at all. I have a referral to a neurologist to have an EEG.

After having the seizure on Tuesday, I collected my prescription of 50 2mg Xanax on Wednesday and we both got stuck into the bottle. By Friday, we had consumed 100 2mg Xanax and around 50 5mg Valium. My question is; what is the likelihood of the seizures being caused by discontinuing benzo use? Initially I didn't clue on that they could be related seeing as though the doctor's in the emergency department could find nothing wrong with me. I didn't mention that I abuse Xanax, only that I am prescribed it.

These seizures (grand mal? I think I read on a hospital report "tonic clonic x 2" or something like that?) always seem to occur approximately 10 days since I last consumed any type of benzodiazepine.

Also, I suffer no other withdrawal symptoms and never have. Strange huh?

Our regularity of use is generally a binge once every fortnight, sometimes weekly. I think around three weeks is the longest we've steered clear of the pills. Our usage varies depending on the availability of the substances in question; the easier they are to get the more will be consumed. :)

That's scary dude, glad you're ok. Seizures are the thing I'm most worried about, but as dokomo mentioned, my intake was pretty low for that to happen (hopefully). Strange you have no withdrawal besides seizures.

Well it's definitely anxiety that's my symptom now. Last night my heart was beating very fast, my chest was pretty tight, and my body was tingling, stuff like that. Makes no sense to me, but it's happening. I read something on wikipedia about a "rebound" effect or something, which is not actual withdrawal. Could that be what's happening to me? I drank a beer last night and it really helped, but once it wore off the symptoms came back.

Anyone have any ideas for what I should do? Is this going to be a months-long withdrawal like some people go through with benzos? Should I see a doctor?

I'd recommend seeing a doctor if its bothering you to such an extent. Or you could acquire Xanax or preferably Valium due to its long half life and come up with some kind of plan for a reasonably quick taper. I don't think you need to stress yourself out about having a seizure, you should be fine mate. Best of luck. :)

It sounds to me like you were taking too much alprazolam and buprenorphine. I think you are probably experiencing rebound anxiety. Yes, you can ride it out.

Hello Tregimenal!

When it comes to alprazalom it seems very tricky. A habit kan sneak up on you in a week. Or for me who had to much alpra and had shortterm problems with it doesnt even that much to feel ill.

Hope you kick you sub-hanit mate. Cheers

^Yeah, I totally agree, alprazolam is very sneaky and can cause rebound effects in a week. It can be tricky to pinpoint the symptoms at this level for some people but for others it is a clear change. I'm a member of the latter group.

Pegasus, I am most certainly having symptoms. How long do these usually last? I can't take this for too long. It's taking all of my strength to try to function normally. Is this rebound effect different from outright withdrawal?

Assuming you're experiencing benzo withdrawal (I'm sure you know if you are), the problem is that your body got used to being artificially calm and now is over-reacting to your natural stress response. What you can expect is for the symptoms to appear mainly when you are facing stress. Since you were on for such a short period, your body should get back to coping with stress properly pretty quickly. What is important is that you avoid stress as much as possible for now... This will help with the symptoms and recovery.

It's ironic, because the thing that's stressing me out 24/7 is thinking about benzo withdrawal itself. You think just a few days, or I am looking at a months long process here? Cause if it's the latter, I can't take it. I'll have to see a doctor.

I'd vote few days. Stop stressing over it though... There's nothing to stress about really. If you've gotten yourself into the situation, there's only one way out and it involves getting through these next days. You have to go through it regardless... no point in stressing.

Does anyone have any ideas about my seizures yet a lack of any other withdrawal symptoms associated with Xanax withdrawal?

Short answer: No, no chance in hell you've got benzo WD, given your pattern of use and previous history. The most prevalent symptom is anxiety. Your symptoms fit perfectly with opiate WD.

Exactly correct. But do try to take less of the Xanax as you sure as shit don't want benzo withdrawals. Try and just quit it completely or take .25-.5. Really not worth the risks. I was addicted to both drug classes and I'd take coming of bupe 10 times compared to coming off benzos once.

Just stop the benzos.