• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Kratom': Natural substance becoming a growing problem?

Media and moron-righteous doctors: "C'mooooooon officer...Pleeease make kratom illegal???"

DEA: "Wha... ? Nah. C'mon man, haha, it's just a silly little plant, jeez. Let those junkies have a LITTLE fun. Besides our hands are tied as it is."

News and docs: "But it's so baaad it causes Euphoria and make you uglier and more of a loser than a gus-huffing mutt with wheels for legs!!!"

DEA: "Nah, it's a pretty tame drug. Back off. Man, chill out, seriously, guys. Our hands are tied shooting people to death because they transport cocaine and heroin and other fun and addictive drugs. Enough of this prohibition shit, we're dying like flies over here."

8o

I tried Kratom several times, smoking an extract.
It worked, but I was not a huge fan of the effects.
Still, making it illegal is a stupid idea. Some people like it. 'Nuff said.

Media and moron-righteous doctors: "C'mooooooon officer...Pleeease make kratom illegal???"

DEA: "Wha... ? Nah. C'mon man, haha, it's just a silly little plant, jeez. Let those junkies have a LITTLE fun. Besides our hands are tied as it is."

News and docs: "But it's so baaad it causes Euphoria and make you uglier and more of a loser than a gus-huffing mutt with wheels for legs!!!"

DEA: "Nah, it's a pretty tame drug. Back off. Man, chill out, seriously, guys. Our hands are tied shooting people to death because they transport cocaine and heroin and other fun and addictive drugs. Enough of this prohibition shit, we're dying like flies over here."

8o

So sad how the media plays cheerleader to the most base instinct of people and systems. By sensationalizing, they create self-fulfilling prophecies. Then, when legislation gets passed, they are emboldened to start the cycle over again with something else. I'm no fan of this, but if it continues the government is going to wise up and start implementing measures that chip away at freedom of press. This is why we can't have nice things.

I think the media generally views interviewing drug users about drugs as similar to interviewing rapists about rape. Ever see a news report about a rape that includes the point of view of rapists? No, that would be absurd. The media sees the recreational drug user's point of view as equally absurd and illegitimate.

and then so then the opinion of the media constructs the reality of the general public. The media is the ultimate oppressor. It must die.

^ Agreed.

Why don't we just give way entirely to a semi-totalitarian state. where you can buy almost any drug OTC, with the right bribe or w/e, but the police will beat you to shit and throw you in jail and throw away the key if you rob or hurt anyone for drug money. thats a nice balance.

and snip off the media's little nuts, for god's sake. scaring people about some little girl was who brutalised 10,000 km away doesnt help productivity now does it. why fear-monger? i think 3/4 of reporters should have their big probing noses bashed right into their skulls. one of the most ennervating and despicable professions. drown them in rucksacks in the lake like useless kittens.

i dont even watch the news. once in a while i very briefly glance at google news to see if there's anything major. i dont see any reason to expose myself to their message that the world is eternally just to crash down and everyone is violent and depraved. there's enough pain in my own life. this is why psychologists say if you have the slightest problem with depression, cut out news-watching and -reading. just like if you have anxiety, stop drinking caffeine. those things are useless, and only aggravate a common problem.

Last edited:
I think the media generally views interviewing drug users about drugs as similar to interviewing rapists about rape. Ever see a news report about a rape that includes the point of view of rapists? No, that would be absurd. The media sees the recreational drug user's point of view as equally absurd and illegitimate.

and then so then the opinion of the media constructs the reality of the general public. The media is the ultimate oppressor. It must die.

Sigh. Its power is being eroded, but what's taking its place is much, much worse: a commodified, decentralized group of many journalists who are given exposure based on painstakingly quantified popularity. Now, news is pure supply and demand. 100 Likes and 2 Dislikes - not an accident that this author is in tune with what people want to hear. Regarding a weird story that has a strange point of view - who would make something like that, knowing that only a queer could be seen Liking it?

I've been thinking more and more, and despite my passive and liberal leanings I am convinced that recreational drug users actually need to fight the media. The media is trolling us because they know our voices are not taken seriously. Every disputable fact is seen as irrelevant if it is incorrect, because only a drug user would be able to point that out - that is the rationale I am feeling from "them."

I wouldn't complain, except that on my various trips to rehab and counseling I noticed that the media's facts trickled down into the minds of the staff as well as the doctors. They parrot facts that are just not true and easily falsifiable. And these are the people who I am letting into the most sacred aspects of my life: my mental and physical health. And you can see their eyes glaze over whenever we even think about opening our mouths about treatment or anything else pertinent. After all, drug users and the severely mentally ill are put together like peas and carrots in state-run treatment centers, and in the case of my last visit we even get the same initial daily cocktail without respect to anything!

We need to start small, by finding each one of these articles as they come out. Keep the same title but re-write the article in teams. Try to catch them all.

Nice post.

Why is it that way though? I'm not sure if the media is the blame for that.

For it continuing to be that way, yeah, they certainly have some blame. I can't think of any other topic that gets as poor coverage from the media as drugs do...

Why is it that way though? I'm not sure if the media is the blame for that.

It was partially engineered by the government, specifically the ONDCP (Drug Czar's office). From wiki:

Paying for embedded anti-drug messages in television shows

In 2000, the Federal Communications Commission, in response to a complaint by the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, sent inquiries to five major television networks about ONDCP's practice of offering millions of additional advertising dollars to networks that embedded anti-drug messages in their programming.[22] The House Committee on Government Reform's Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources held hearings on the matter on July 11, 2000.[23] In December of that year, the FCC ruled that the networks should have identified the Office of National Drug Control Policy as the sponsor of the television programs.[24][25]

Government as Scriptwriter

In the spring of 1998, the ONDCP began to develop an accounting system to decide which network shows would be valued and for how much. Receiving advance copies of scripts, they assigned financial value to each show's anti-drug message. Then they would suggest ways that the networks could increase the payments they would get. The WB network's senior vice president for broadcast standards Rick Mater admitted, "The White House did view scripts. They did sign off on them -- they read scripts, yes."[26]

Running the campaign for the ONDCP was Alan Levitt, who estimated that between 1998 and 2000 the networks received nearly $25 million in benefits.[26]

One example was with Warner Brothers' show, Smart Guy. The original script portrayed two young people using drugs at a party. Originally depicted as cool and popular, after input from the drug office, "We showed that they were losers and put them [hidden away to indulge in shamed secrecy] in a utility room. That was not in the original script."[26]

Other shows including ER, Beverly Hills, 90210, Chicago Hope, The Drew Carey Show and 7th Heaven also put anti-drug messages into their stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ONDCP#Controversies

I'm sure this practice began way before the late 90s, and continues in subtle ways.

it feels like an attack from the drug-user's side, but you have to see the government's side. they're doing what they think is taking care of their citizens, trying to menace drug use and prevent new generations from falling into the trap. they dont realise that its precisely their gray, functionality-obsessed, mechanical attitude that drives liberal and young people to despondency, disillusionment and self abuse. its a machine. the machine is sad. :)

I can definitely see the chemicals in kratom being banned if the extracts become more popular.

as sad as i am to say this.... im not very suprised. This is par for the course for the idiots that claim citizenship in my country. this nation used to be worth something. :|:(

Translation:

There's a natural, legal plant substance that may be more effective than some pharmaceutical drugs in treating pain and opiate addiction with less risk for adverse health effects. We must crush it.

The drug stigma can be called the racism of today...

I wish we were a civilization worthy of the name (lol Terence)

Kratom withdrawal was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I know nobody here wants to hear this, but it took me damn near a year to fully recover from it - it was by far worse than alcohol wd's. It's just so easy to get and the fresh whole leaf tea is soooo good.

Kratom withdrawal was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I know nobody here wants to hear this, but it took me damn near a year to fully recover from it - it was by far worse than alcohol wd's. It's just so easy to get and the fresh whole leaf tea is soooo good.

How long did you use for, what was your frequency of use and how much was a typical dosage?

Personally, I've been using kratom habitually for the past year, and as of the past ~six months it's been nearly every other day. I normally dose up on 10g downed in one gulp w/ orange juice. I also always take 400mg cimetidine before hand to potentiate the effects. As of the past month or so, I've been redosing later in the day on another 10g to bring back the effects. Needless to say, I am addicted and and getting more addicted every week.

Why did I get addicted? I got addicted because I finally found an effective kratom dosage that gives me plenty of euphoria and anxiety relief, while still giving stimulation and not 'fucking me up' too much. I find I can go to work, function and do just about anything on a 10g dose, my mind will be clear, calm, collected, happy, content, comfortable, empathetic and positive. I will have energy and motivation to do the tasks that normally take extra motivation like tedious tasks at work or cleaning the house. I feel it helps me tolerate the stresses that my life introduces, and helps me deal with them in a calm, collected way, and basically just allows my personality to be everything I want to be. Even once the high wears off, I remain happy, glowing and positive for the remainder of the day.

The withdrawal? I gone several days here and there without it, and admittedly, it sucks. I must say though, aside from some minor fatigue, irritability and maybe a little anxiety, I have not noticed any major physical withdrawal effects from stopping usage. Don't get me wrong, I crave it like a mofo when I can't have it, but it feels like that's where it stops. If I get my mind off it, stay busy, I'm just fine, no withdrawal, I could care less about kratom at that point. However, sitting around, bored, staring at an empty kratom jar will drive me bonkers. Most withdrawal effects from kratom seem to be completely psychological. I crave kratom big time simply because it works so well. I don't feel like I need it to function. The problem is it's really easy to get used to the way one functions while on kratom, and then normal sober functioning doesn't quite cut it anymore. That's the psychological withdrawal. :) I like to call it "kissing the sun".

Burn your lips with the taste of the sun and this great mother Earth will no longer be fun. =D

Having said all that, this is BS!! How is it a growing problem?? I have not met a single other person who uses kratom or has even heard of it. It's a grown-up drug for sure. This is not something little kiddies can get "mad fucked up on yo". It's totally cool to sell DXM, pseudoephedrine, caffeine and diphenhydramine over the counter, as well as propylhexedrine, and even l-methamphetamine, but here along comes another natural and safe source of remedy with an extremely low potential for abuse and LET'S BAN IT!!!! Mother nature can't write a check to the pharm companies so it needs to get the ban stick.

when will higher ups in society learn that prohibition does nothing, and can even increase use of the drug that is banned, and creates new markets for violent and/or unscrupulous criminal businessmen and thugs? Fools.

Well WE know bettter. to the land of LSD and Heroin my brothors!!!

I also got VERY sick after taking kratom only once, and the sickness lasted almost a full month. It felt like the worst heroin withdrawal you can imagine (and I wasn't using any opiates at the time, go figure). Even though I'll never touch it again, in no way do I think it should be made illegal.

As long as you watch it, it won't. Don't watch it. Don't pay attention to it. That's the only way it'll ever die.

P.S. I only say this because I no longer do. I don't watch TV (including cable), don't listen to the radio, and rarely even read Yahoo news and such.

I find it surprising that a good number of people react so badly to it. I take it around every other day when I have a bag, but I often go a month or two between bags with no negative effects. I've never had any cravings for it either. I usually take 8-12 grams of dried bali per dose if that has any significance. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that I'll randomly puke sometimes if I drink or smoke with it. Like, some nights I can take some kratom and drink 8 beers without a problem, and then the next time I'll drink 3 beers and puke my guts out.