• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Dangers of Abruptly Stopping Lexapro

bryan21

Bluelighter
Ive heard that its not safe to abruptly stop taking ssri's. Im on 10mg lexapro a day and my crazy bitch of a mom decides to punish me for getting drunk lastnight underage (im 18 right now, the drinking age in ontario is 19 and my birthday is in october..) by taking away my lexapro. What can i expect to happen if i cant continue taking my meds?

Sounds like a police matter to me.

Does she understand the complexities of her actions at this point?

She doesnt, i tried to explain things to her, but shes crazier than i am.
I cant report her or anything like that because she holds the money that will send me through school and i for sure wont get shit if i do that...
She basically holds the keys to my future so i cant fuck that up.

I just want to know what sort of symptoms ill have to stick through until things blow over at home.

Worst withdrawal symptoms you've probably had assuming you're not an IV heroin user.

It's dangerous and it's has a tendency to make people commit suicide upon rapid cessation.

Is she aware of this?

Tell her if she doesn't you're going to go to the hospital and get your own. It's NOT safe to withdraw from SSRI's cold turkey.

Worst withdrawal symptoms you've probably had assuming you're not an IV heroin user.

It's dangerous and it's has a tendency to make people commit suicide upon rapid cessation.

Is she aware of this?

Tell her if she doesn't you're going to go to the hospital and get your own. It's NOT safe to withdraw from SSRI's cold turkey.

I hope to god shes not aware of this, or else i may need to re evaluate just how important my family is to me. Forced drug withdrawal as punishment is the most fucked up thing imaginable, i dont think i could ever stand to be around my mom if she knew what this would do to me.

I had no idea ssri withdrawal was so bad.... im definitely getting a new script. Im not going to go through hell because my moms an uptight, ultra-christian cunt. If anyone's seen Detroit Rock City, imagine the main kid's mom, but worse, thats mine. =(

Get a new script as soon as you can and explain to your Doc about what your Mother did.
Is there any other Family Member or Family Friends who you trust to discuss this issue, regarding you Mother's ridiculously irresponsible, actions with bryan21?

You shouldnt have to endure this nonsensensical behaviour :!

I would urge you to try and get some external support, if you can, on this matter bryan hun.
<3

Let us know how you are doing?

Go to your doctor and explain the situation. Since Lexapro/cipralex is not a controlled substance at all your doctor should have no trouble giving you another script.

SSRI withdrawal can be brutal and really screw with your head not to mention your depression could come back in full force. So yeah definitely go see your doc and since your mom is crazy enough to do this once id say hide your script the next time you get it.

Bear in mind that not everyone gets these effects, but here's what could happen (Wikipedia). I'd say if you find yourself getting in a bad mood, or having brain zaps or feeling sick, just remind yourself that it's just withdrawal, and you'll get through it.

(But definitely get a new script or your old meds back, if there's any way you possibly can).

Got my meds back =)
My mom sucks at hiding things lol.
My mind has been made up, im for sure getting the fuck out of here once school starts,
I cant put up with this woman's bullshit anymore....

I'm glad you got them, but you need to sit down with her with some literature and have a heart to heart with this woman.

I'll play Devil's Advocate and give her the benefit of the doubt, and say she was unaware of the complications her actions would cause. Even then it strikes me as overtly cruel to take away someones Antidepressent medication as a form of punishment for a frivlous thing like drinking.

That's like taking away insulin from a diabetic because they had a regular soda.

You need to think this through it strikes me as extremely odd and unhealthy.

Good luck.

Oh, and hide your meds. If need be, you can get extras cheap online. Lexapro is very cheap overseas and it helps to have cache of medicine when needed. Perhaps a trusted friend can hold them?

Im so glad this ordeal is over for now, i was getting really scared there. Im pretty sure that this only happened because my mom somehow doesnt believe that depression is a legitimate illness....she thinks i can help being sad all the time. But thank god things worked out.
Thanks for the support everyone. =)

Just for the record, SSRI discontinuation obviously isn't the same for everyone. I go on and off SSRI's all the time- abruptly- and the worst I've experienced is a mild nuiscance of brain zaps. If you have to go without- you don't necessarily have to be afraid of the w/d.

Been there, albeit minus the crazy mom factor. Lexapro was by far the most difficult SSRI to quit for me, and I've taken every SSRI and SNRI except zoloft and paxil. Your mileage may vary, but it's generally not a good idea to quit antidepressants abruptly. Seek help immediately if you have suicidal/violent thoughts or behaviors. And for god's sake, have your mother committed somewhere. Her actions are nothing short of abuse and endangerment.

Im so glad this ordeal is over for now, i was getting really scared there. Im pretty sure that this only happened because my mom somehow doesnt believe that depression is a legitimate illness....she thinks i can help being sad all the time. But thank god things worked out.
Thanks for the support everyone. =)

How anyone in this day and age can think depression is not a illness is beyond me. It's the same as having anything wrong with your body it's just that alot of people can't see it. Though it's not hard to notice when im depressed. That just sucks that your mom thinks like that and it sucks way more that shed take away your meds. How would she like it if she had high blood pressure and you took her meds? It's no different.

^Agreed!

Glad you retrieved your meds bryan. :)
Still think it would be a good idea to inform somebody you trust or a medical authority about this, just to be on the safe side.

To be totally honest, I was on 20mg of Lexapro a day and stopped cold turkey. I experienced no negative side effects what so ever, but I don't recommend it just because everyone reacts differently.

What the fuck is up with your mum? That is so immoral and illegal and just fucking childish it almost defies belief...

Fuck man I feel for you. Fortunately - from what I've been told - lexapro is not among the worst anti-depressants to withdraw from. Pristiq is supposed to be super nasty, and I had a terrible time coming off that (intense depression, full body sweating, imagined noises and smells...).

Report your mum.

S