Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 4

I tried to get a good picture of it, looks really funny

NSFW:

2ik8gh2.jpg

full shot
NSFW:

331k8d2.jpg

That's perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. I get it all the time. However sometimes if it's a bit worse it's indicative of a cold environment though.

Small indoor grow, few questions

540901-few-questions-pictures-will-loaded.html
I'm a medical marijuana patient, i find that it helps me cut down on the amount of pain pills i use and just started trying my hand at growing since the law here allows me up to 4 plants. I am pre-flowering a plant using a 12/12 lighting right now, 4 days in to the light dropping.

Question 1 - I have 3 CFL lights under working on the 1 plant. 2 of them put out 150w worth of energy and one puts out 100w. Out of the 2 150w lights one of them is soft white with 2700k and one is daylight w/ 6500k.
The 100 watt one is 2700k. I'm trying to give something like a 2-1 ratio leaning tword the 6500k side. Does this sound suitable to pre-flower one plant.

Question 2- I have it in an enclosed space and the best i can do for ventation is an air conditioner/ dehumidifyer (sp ) in the bedroom that blows the air outside and in the closet itself i have a stand up fan and open the door for about half an hour at night to exchange the air. Does this sound suitable for a one plant set-up

Question 3- Does it take indoor plants longer to flower, or plants under cfl longer to flower than say a plant outdoors?

AND question 4- I plan on using a 12/12 for the first 4 wks.......the 2-3 wks using a 13 dark / 11 light to promote resin production, then back to 12/12 until harvest ( possibly even 11/13 for bud size?) Will there be a problem with the CFL under these conditions.

NSFW:
441.jpg

NSFW:

443.jpg

I will keep updated as she flowers, as it is, i rescued it from outdoors after a deer ate and trampled almost all of her and trampled the rest, she was beautiful. After i got her back into health i sent her into flowering. This is day 3 here, currently its day 4. Tommorrow or the net day i will post an update. Let you guys see her flower.

Hence the leaf in the front of the pic thats all fucked up.

Hey neko it didn't get moved for some reason!

Anyway to answer the OPs question:

I am pre-flowering a plant using a 12/12 lighting right now, 4 days in to the light dropping.

What do you mean by pre-flowering a plant? Are you using the genefinder method on a clone? If it's the main plant and not a clone in an attempt to sex it, I wouldn't do that at all mate, it's not good for the plant and will just result in weaker plants than those that had just been left to veg until they naturally showed pre-flowers after 4-6 weeks normally. You need to either wait for it to show pre-flowers naturally or if it's big enough, take a clone and flower that to find out the sex of the plant

Question 1 - I have 3 CFL lights under working on the 1 plant. 2 of them put out 150w worth of energy and one puts out 100w. Out of the 2 150w lights one of them is soft white with 2700k and one is daylight w/ 6500k.
The 100 watt one is 2700k. I'm trying to give something like a 2-1 ratio leaning tword the 6500k side. Does this sound suitable to pre-flower one plant.

Question 2- I have it in an enclosed space and the best i can do for ventation is an air conditioner/ dehumidifyer (sp ) in the bedroom that blows the air outside and in the closet itself i have a stand up fan and open the door for about half an hour at night to exchange the air. Does this sound suitable for a one plant set-up

Question 3- Does it take indoor plants longer to flower, or plants under cfl longer to flower than say a plant outdoors?

AND question 4- I plan on using a 12/12 for the first 4 wks.......the 2-3 wks using a 13 dark / 11 light to promote resin production, then back to 12/12 until harvest ( possibly even 11/13 for bud size?) Will there be a problem with the CFL under these conditions.

Q.1 Again, what do you mean by pre-flowering? If you're flowering with CFLs, the buds will be quite whispy and low quality. Even though it's just one plant you would be much better off just getting a small HPS bulb. Even if it's just 250W the results will be far far superior.

Q.2 I don't know how much time and money you want to invest but if you want to do it properly rather than just have a ghetto setup I would strongly advise you to cut a hole near the ceiling of the closet and attach a small inline fan, sucking hot stale air out of the closet. A second hole would be needed near the floor, preferably on the opposite side, also connected to an inline fan but one which is slightly less powerful so that you have negative pressure inside the closet.

Q.3 Outdoors take a bit longer to flower in theory but the difference isn't that big.

Q.4 Just use 12/12 from the start of flowering to the end. Changing the photoperiod like that won't make the buds more resinous at all, it's a myth. Some plants can flower with a shorter dark period but most plants will flower with 12/12 and so that is what is most commonly used because it works perfectly well with almost all strains and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Flowering with fewer light hours make the overall flowering time shorter but the yield less. Flowering with more light hours takes longer but the yield will be up. It just so happens that when factoring total flowering time against yield, density etc. 12/12 is about optimum for most strains and there's usually no good reason to change it half way through.

Last edited:
Here's my own creation. It's a cross between a Lebanese male, squat and resinous and a kumaoni female, also resinous but mango flavor and beautiful too. Not grown it out yet. I might try and get a tester to try some out.

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_21780.jpg

They look like some healthy seeds. Did your kumaoni get very tall? That hybrid sounds like a good way to keep the favourable traits but with a more controllable shape and size.

I have a question about the life span of male plants. I am going to try the pollen harvest again which is obviously the most convenient way to use them, but has anyone kept a male for a long period of time? I am talking about outdoors so I'm guessing it will reveg over the summer. But will it continue to produce enough pollen the following autumn? I have read that breeders keep males for future seasons but was wondering if anyone has any experience with doing it. Do they continue producing flowers and pollen as long as they are getting the right amount of daylight hours or do they have a short peak in pollen production? I have one that seems to have the characteristics I want and am considering keeping it, so far the longest I've kept one is for a season and it seemed to keep flowering the whole way through.

Is the Kumaoni indica or sativa leaning ? As far as I read through the subject of himalayan landraces there seems to be that both types are present, eg. nepalese sativas
Sounds like a really nice cross =) I would love to grow some of these someday as I am too very intrigued about landraces. definately going to watch when you pop these :D

If I had to tell you which I would say neither really. That's where the indica/sativa classification fails IMO. It's stretchy like a sativa and has narrow fan leaves but the flowering time is closer to a hybrid than a pure sativa IMO. But yes you're right, there are different phenos present of course, with some being faster than others. The next stage is to grow out all the rest of my pure kumaoni seeds and select another good female (or male depending) that's as squat as possible with as short a flowering time as possible but ideally one that's just a really good, strong smoke, because I can take those other traits from a Lebanese like I've done in the cross I've already done.

Himalayan genetics really are undiscovered and unexplored by western cultivators IMO, which is a shame because they show a lot of potential. There aren't really many strains on the market, even outdoor strains for northern latitudes, which are so mold resistant, so it can be quite useful. There are lots of other interesting traits to take from the strains as well. Like certain cannabinoids not seen in the more common strains.

By the way there was a Nepalese strain the Real Seed Co did recently that throws some distinctly indica looking phenotypes out i.e. squat, broad leaves, short flowering time and resinous as fuck. Most other phenos were on the sativa end of the spectrum though.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing some serious breeding in the name of cannabis :D not some OG Kush backcross shit that will make the genepool even more deprived of fresh influences, with all the S1's,S2's etc going around I really wonder when they are going to loose vigor

I wouldn't call it breeding, more like hacking but I can always aspire to do the best with what resources I have. The great thing about doing crosses like this you never really know what the end result is until you grow the seeds out so it's quite exciting.

Hey guys, Been working 10-12 hour days, haven't been on much, just feel like smoking them sleeping when I get off work at 1 am.
Anywho, I have a MONSTER plant outside, I will be taking pictures of (maybe 3ft tall at the moment).

One plant I ended up putting in the ground hasn't grown at all , while all of the other plants are growing well, so I think I will uproot this plant I put in the ground, and replace it with another clone that's growing more healthily. (I only have 1 month before flowering starts to occur, and I want to have large plants outside, for a hopefully large harvest.

Im pretty excited about growing all of these new strains, its so much fun to watch different plants grow next to each other. I watched a little 6 inch sativa grow 2 ft in 1 1/2 weeks.. lol

I'm pretty confused as to why the smaller plant won't root properly, or start growing, maybe when i dig it up, I will take good look at the roots and see whats wrong with it.

Another weird thing, out of 12 plants, I have all under 16-17 hours of light.
One of them started to flower, and WILL NOT stop flowering , though its not really time to be flowering? Confused the hell out of me.

Damn AE, nice looking seeds, and bud. I will be taking pictures of my Northern Lights #5 that just finished drying. I'll also try to get some pictures of my plants outdoors (for some reason, the camera doesn't want to take pictures well when its so bright outside)

hey neko, do you want me to just start #5? I can basically copy the first post, change a few things, and make a new thread if you'd like, save you sometime, unless you've already got it undercontrol, I could do that about 10pm tonight (Live in California).
Anyways, thanks for the help, awesome looking plants everyone, :D

Hey AE, how was the quality of that ISO hash? I've got tons of old bud, that I dont know what to do with, I don't want to cook it ALL into butter. (Just made 6 sticks last week with 2 1/2 ozs) .

How much alcohol do you use ratio wise compared to the bud.
That stuff looked mighty tasty.
I can only get 91% iso , wonder if that would be quality, or just not worth doing.

Xayo, I had that same problem during flowering on my last batch, I believe you are not getting your pH low enough, I was keeping mine around 6.5 - 7, once I took it down to about 5.7-6.3 they started to clear up a bit. If that doesnt help, I also started to feed mine a tiny bit more (about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp) and they started to clear up pretty well.

So yeah, try taking your pH down just a tad more, give it a week or so, then if it doesnt look any better, try giving it just a little bit more food.
Do you know if the strain you are growing is supposed to show these colors or no?

And AE, Ill be your tester ;) :D , but really :D

SteelyJ, not to bring you down or anything, but, CFL probably won't get you what you are hoping.
I started off growing under CFLS, and the plants Veg wonderfully, because there aren't any heat issues, but,
When it comes to flowering, you really won't get much.
As for the air , well, you'll want something blowing air into your closet at all times, if possible, or alteast something moving, and clearing air on the inside of your closet.
As for 12/12, I would say, pick a time when you want to flower, and just stick to 12/12 , changing lights pretty often can cause problems.
I would try your hand at this for a bit, if you like it, and want to get a larger ammount of bud, I would definantly invest on buying HPS for flowering.
You can get by on Veg with CFL lights, but you won't be able to get much flowering with CFLS. (also, Ive never heard of more resin with 11/13, or what ever.)

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 5 , HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: