• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 4

Between 57ml and 94.5ml fishmix per 5 gallons.

Since I gave the amount needed per one US gallon, the amount needed is just multiplied by 5, since you're using 5 US gallons total.

Last edited:
Ok I got it.

We just checked the plants again and we are really starting to worry (big surprise lol). We are finding more and more dead yellow leaves. About 3 per day around the middle of each plant. The sand didn't do much and the gnats are still there... We are going to get the fish mix tomorrow.

Here are our questions

1.) Could the gnats be the cause of this? What else can I do to get rid of them 100% ?
2.) The runoff PH is still low what do we do about that? Should we care?
3.) Are our plants in danger of completely dying?

Since you used salty sand in all liklihood, it could be part of the problem. It could be the nutrient itself being poor, or it could be the pH of the medium itself or some other factor. What it is not, is a problem with your tapwater & feed pH, unless there's a serious problem with either of the two. However before your grow was all green, so it's not the tapwater itself IMO.

1) I don't think so. Get neem seed cake and sprinkle on top as a top dressing.
2) Ignore run off pH. a) it's meaningless (IMO, for what it's worth) and b) making adjustments based on this figure will most likely make the problem worst, or at best do nothing.
3) No!

Take some cuttings and start growing in 100% pure canna coco professional. Use Hesi coco nutrients and measure pH after adding the feed to 5.8-6. This is about as simple as you can get, and removes all the variables in your current grow that could be contributing to the problem.

Growing in coco is hydroponic growing (passively, not active) and in veg growth rates are like comparing a rocket to a beat up old reliant robin car.

I think in future you need to simplify your grow as much as possible and then once you've got the hang of the basics, start experimenting with different products and techniques. If you were to go with the Canna coco pro and the Hesi coco nutrients with a pH and EC meter I guarantee I could guide you through right to the end of the grow with no problems like this whatsoever. Continue with your current grow, but consider doing this.

Alternatively go with a simpler, tried and tested soilless mix with fewer fancy, exotic and impressive sounding ingredients and just use fishmix and maybe some mollasses and seaweed extract occasionally if you want a bit extra 'kick'. But just think, if you ditched all the complicated products that supposedly would give you a higher yield and just made it as simple as possible, as described above, your yield would probably end up (ironically) being higher in the first place.

This is a lesson many new growers learn - keep it as simple as possible and listen to the people with experience in real gardening as well as cannabis growing and you'll likely reap the fruits of your labor.

Edit: I just wanted to say to you, PsychicBubble, that the only stupid question when it comes to growing, is the one that is not asked. Nobody (me least of all) will judge you for making what might seem like schoolboy error. So fire away with anything you'd like to ask about with respect to cannabis and particularly cultivation, I really don't mind. If you're ever embarrassed to ask a question because you assume it's too simple, please don't hesitate to send a PM if you must. Otherwise just ask in the grow thread and I'll be more than happy to accoodate all of your questions, no matter how simple or complex they are :) You do need to put your faith in me though, and if I say negative things about your medium, or the fertilizer you're using, please do make the effort to, at the very least, to experiment with other individual clones. Remember they are all clones fro the same plant, and comparing the effec of doing x, y, z are so much easier if they're in the same environment and you're only changingone variable at a tie.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have a question. Would not watering the plants for 3 days- 1 week before harvesting affect potency at all? I feel like this would allow for a shorter drying time, but I'm not sure if even that would be true. Thanks

^Have you don't this accidentally? If so, did the leaves wilt?

If you're thinking of doing it to hasten the drying time, forget that idea, as depriving your plant of water whilst the buds are at their peak floral produciton would not be such a good idea.

Last edited:
^Have you don't this accidentally? If so, did the leaves wilt?

If you're thinking of doing it to hasten the drying time, forget that idea, as depriving your plant of water whilst the buds are at their peak floral produciton would not be such a good idea.

No I have never done this, that's why I was asking. But thank you for the advice.

Trimming your plants

When should you start trimming the extra leaves, especialy the shade leaves. Should you atleast wait until its fully flowering or can you start to trim the excess leaves in the vegitative stage?

When should you start trimming the extra leaves, especialy the shade leaves. Should you atleast wait until its fully flowering or can you start to trim the excess leaves in the vegitative stage?

What are excess leaves?

Trim leaves at the very base, up a few inches. Otherwise leave those leaves alone - they're there for a reason.

Last edited:
No, you trim when you've cut the buds off and are harvesting it (but I don't think that's what you mean).

Leave those leaves alone, that's my advice.

In future in the vegetative stage, remove the leaves at the base to improve airflow and prevent popcorn bud since the plants don't get much light down there.

^ a lot of people starting out tinker more than they should. It's as if they get stir crazy and have to do something to the plant.

A beginner can rival an experts grow with the simplest of techniques. In fact, I have personally found, the more experience I have and the more knowledge I attain, the less I want to play around and the fewer products I would want to use in general. 9 times out of 10, a grower would end up yielding more if they just sat back and let the plant do it's own thing (within reason).

I would cut the top off in veg though, but that's not really 'trimming'.

No, you trim when you've cut the buds off and are harvesting it (but I don't think that's what you mean).

Leave those leaves alone, that's my advice.

In future in the vegetative stage, remove the leaves at the base to improve airflow and prevent popcorn bud since the plants don't get much light down there.

Thank you again sir. And no thats not what I meant but you answered my question.

Small update of my guerilla grow.

We are currently in the middle of winter at the moment and its been freezing but she has been going strong. Just need some more sun though!

NSFW:
1-8.jpg

2-5.jpg

*Sorry for the shitty iPhone pictures too

Very nice lady you have there Josh. Looks like there's some Haze in her IMO. Hopefully she finishes up mold free for ya :)

FYI a guerilla grow is when you grow off your own property, out in the bush for example.

*UPDATE*

Got some gnat killing shit (poison) from the store and fed them to the plants along with putting sticky traps all around the tops of the soil. 2 days later - All gnats are dead and leaves have miraculously turned green. I posted some pics below. We are currently on week 5 of 12/12 and my wife tends to suspect they are about done. Judging from the pictures below, how much longer would you say till harvest?

We are also planning to hang them in the flowering room (it's dark and well ventilated). We were concerned due to all the fans in the room. As long as the air isn't blowing directly on the buds, should it be ok? We have a bunch of fans and air conditioning pumping in.

Lastly - We supercropped 1 plant and it appears to be lagging compared to the others. All of the plants are in sync with the pistils turning brown already. The supercropped, however, still has white pistils. Will it catch up to the others or will this one need more time to develop?

Here are the pics. Enjoy.

NSFW:
DSCF2029-1.jpg
DSCF2031-1.jpg
DSCF2036-1.jpg

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

Got some gnat killing shit (poison) from the store and fed them to the plants along with putting sticky traps all around the tops of the soil. 2 days later - All gnats are dead and leaves have miraculously turned green. I posted some pics below. We are currently on week 5 of 12/12 and my wife tends to suspect they are about done. Judging from the pictures below, how much longer would you say till harvest?

We are also planning to hang them in the flowering room (it's dark and well ventilated). We were concerned due to all the fans in the room. As long as the air isn't blowing directly on the buds, should it be ok? We have a bunch of fans and air conditioning pumping in.

Lastly - We supercropped 1 plant and it appears to be lagging compared to the others. All of the plants are in sync with the pistils turning brown already. The supercropped, however, still has white pistils. Will it catch up to the others or will this one need more time to develop?

Here are the pics. Enjoy.

NSFW:
DSCF2029-1.jpg
DSCF2031-1.jpg
DSCF2036-1.jpg

Buy a cheapo pocked microscope (x100) and look at the glandular trichomes to harvest when they're at the right ratio of amber:cloudy. You could go online and have one delivered cheaply probably the next day. Either that or get a really good loupe magnifier (I prefer the pocket battery light powered microscopes personally).

They would be fine to harvest, but you really want to harvest based on how the trichomes look close up. The more amber, the more of a narcotic, sleepy stone you have and the less, the more speedy, anxious and psychedelic the high is (this is a generalization but typically true). Different strains or phenotypes may differ, so YMMV, but I would follow this rule of thumb. Leave the plants or branches on the plants with just white pistils. They are not ready. There's no rule to say you have to harvest everything from a plant at once. Just take the ones that are ready!

Turn the ventilation way way down and have no fan direct aimed at the plants. Have one directed at the wall only. Make sure it's dark and at 50-55% relative humidity, or thereabouts. Higher and drying times decrease and you get more chance of mold, lower and they dry quicker but this is not ideal either. You want a happy medium so they dry in the right amount of time. You could hang them in a cardboard box with clothes pegs holding strings hung from the top inside (make a hole on the top and stop the string from falling through by pinching it from the top, outside of the box with the pegs) and make a small-ish hole on one side (not the top). Then put the box so that this hole is close to, but not right next to, your intake inline fan, so it pulls the air through gently. Another inlet hole would have to be made on the other side of the box to allow a very gentle breeze. Again, make sure they're not exposed to much light. This method would allow you to start growing in your tent straight away whilst drying.

Small update of my guerilla grow.

We are currently in the middle of winter at the moment and its been freezing but she has been going strong. Just need some more sun though!

NSFW:
1-8.jpg

2-5.jpg

*Sorry for the shitty iPhone pictures too

Very impressive photos - looks very healthy! One word of caution, if you're not aware though. iPhones attach GPS coordinates to each image taken, so it's included in the exif data often and people can find out where your grow is. Make sure this feature is turned off or remove the data from the image.

I can't be bothered to check if you have (well I have to go), but it's just in case you weren't aware. I'm sure they've been resized or something and the data is gone, or you were aware of the iphone issue anyway. Big brother and all that =D

Last edited: