• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will/How long will a 10 MG Methadone block opiates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I apologize if I was antagonistic (cue rimshot, I know ;))

I tend to be rather pedantic at times (and yes, this is my pretentious way of saying I can be a huge dick!)

It seems we're all on the same page :)

^ I apologize if I was antagonistic (cue rimshot, I know ;))

I tend to be rather pedantic at times (and yes, this is my pretentious way of saying I can be a huge dick!)

It seems we're all on the same page :)

lol its all good man...like i said just a bit of a communication failure on both of our parts its alllllll gravy

^ I know it's commonly referenced as such but the reason I keep stressing that it's different from the bupe/naloxone/naltrexone blockade is that if people think of it as a blockade like those and try to 'breakthrough' with heroic doses, it'll produce a cumulative effect and fatal overdose is far more likely.

Gotcha

:p %)

^ Effie quoted you in the BDD social info booth thread and I posted in there not realizing it was from here, so if interested, I responded here.

Also here is an excellent thread on the subject (especially Tchort's post). and if you search for the keywords 'methadone' and variations of 'block' (blocking, blockade, etc.) you'll find loads of information on this.

Thank you Cane, tis indeed an excellent thread.

This isn't a pointless bump (altho saying thank you is important I feel!) - wanted to give others the chance to have a look at that thread as it explained things very well.

Not sure

I'm not sure if your wrong or if I'm crazy. But I just registered because I say this convo and something isn't right. I took 15 mg of done between last night and today. All mgs had been taken before 12 today. So 15 mgs of done. Later on the flood gates of oxy opened (go figure) and got some tried snorting about 60 mgs and nothing. Not a damn thing. But people are saying this isn't blockage. How long do I wait before the tolerance goes down then? I could swear it feels blocked. I'm not getting anything. I only took 10mgs of done before 12 today and a 5er yesterday. But ain't fellin nuthin on 60mg's of oxy??? What gives?

I'm not sure if your wrong or if I'm crazy. But I just registered because I say this convo and something isn't right. I took 15 mg of done between last night and today. All mgs had been taken before 12 today. So 15 mgs of done. Later on the flood gates of oxy opened (go figure) and got some tried snorting about 60 mgs and nothing. Not a damn thing. But people are saying this isn't blockage. How long do I wait before the tolerance goes down then? I could swear it feels blocked. I'm not getting anything. I only took 10mgs of done before 12 today and a 5er yesterday. But ain't fellin nuthin on 60mg's of oxy??? What gives?

That was my point earlier in this thread. I in no way didnt take anything like you afterwards (60mgs of oxy) but if this is happening to you & you are doing this much oxy, it feels like blockage. What is your usual dose for oxy, thats needed?

I'm on 125 mgs. methadone and I still get high. Not as well as I did without it, but I still catch a good nod (and sometimes get a good rush).

i was wondering the same thing because the same thing happened to me. my normal dose of oxy is 80-100mg to feel good. saturday i took 20mg of done and added 60 of oxy and felt great all day. nothing but my survival dose of 20mg of oxy on sunday. mon 40 mg of oxy. tues i had 30mg of done and 20 of oxy and felt nothing later that evening i go more oxy and took 80mg and although it took almost 3hrs to kick in i felt great. now it is wednesday no done, only oxy. took 80mg this morning and only felt mild euphoria before i felt nothing at all. wtf happened? blockage or tolerance increase? someone inform me how to get back to my regular dose or lower would be better.

Whenever I take 10mg of methadone and do Oxy or rail Opana I wind up higher. However I don't reccomend doing this. I don't take methadone on a regular basis.. just randomly. I haven't taken enough for a blockade and my tolerance is all fucked from Oxymorphone anyways.

I'd like to add my 2 cents:
In my personal experience, methadone most certainly blocks the effects of other opiates for days after taking methadone.
The first time I took methadone was on accident, I took three 10mg methadone pills under the impression that they were actually 5mg hydrocodones.
I had no zero physical opiate tolerance at the time, needless to say I nodded like hell off the 30mg methadone and it was the highest I've ever been.
3 days later, I took 45mg of hydrocodone (a dose that would normally almost be too strong for me) and felt NOTHING.
I have found that I need to wait almost an entire week after taking methadone in order to feel either hydrocodone or oxycodone. Yet, for some reason, I can feel a dose of 300mg of Tramadol in as little as 3 days after taking a dose of methadone.
This has lead me to believe that the opiate-blocking effect of methadone is not merely due to an increased opiate tolerance, but due to methadone actually blocking other lesser opiates at the mu receptor; and tramadol will work through methadone because of its abnormal mechanism of mu receptor agonism. I can't say that with certainty -- its just my own theory.

Interestingly, the first time I took methadone (the time I took 30mg thinking they were vicodins), I also took 15mg of hydrocodone at the same time, which didn't do anything at all. This made me believe that methadone can block other opiates before it has even kicked in -- which perhaps implies that even very small amounts of methadone (the mentally insignificant amount that had absorbed into my bloodstream before the rest of the dose had) are capable of blocking lesser opiates.

Again, these are all just my own theories I've come up with from my own personal experience -- everyone is different.

^ it also depends on receptor affinities (how hard a drug sticks to the receptors) - that is how buprenorphine blocks the effects of pretty much all other opioids, it has a higher receptor affinity so the other opioids don't get a look in.

I don't know anything about methadone's receptor affinities (awaiting arrival of my psychopharmacology book hehe) but a blocking dose is usually considered to be 60-80mgs ish - however it does vary from person to person and smaller doses can dimish the effects of opioids too as you found out, especially if you have a low tolerance. Tolerance is probably one of the most important factors.

Thank you for sharing that :) however, this is an old thread and traffic moves fast in BDD so am going to close. If anyone has anything they would like to add however, feel free to shoot me a pm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.