• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Ecstasy, psychosis and mental issues

poak

Bluelighter
Hey everyone, I want to know more about psychosis and mental issues caused by mdma because my brother recently had a psychosis after about 7 years of drugs usage. He mainly smoked weed for those 7 years, but I know he also did many drugs such as E, speed, shrooms and salvia. I don't know how often he used these drugs, except for pot which he used on a daily basis most of the time. Note that my parents said they noticed he had mental health issues before he started using any drugs.

So my question is: Can rare usage(1-2 times a year) of ecstasy can cause psychosis or other serious mental health issues?

I consider my actual mental health to be OK, and I smoke pot couples times a week and did E twice. I'm thinking about taking E at an EDM festival this summer but I really hesitate because of what hapenned to my brother. Also, I talked to a cop about my brother and according to him drugs like ecstasy really fucks up your mental health and can causes psychosis (I know he probably knows nothing about it and just said that because he's against drugs, but it still made me think).

Ecstasy doesn't cause psychosis but it's not a very good idea to take drugs when you have a history of mental illness in your immediate family.

My mom's, friend's son has a severe case of psychosis right now and the doctors believe it's related to him smoking weed. I think it's possible for any street drug to cause psychosis, though the chances of you developing psychosis are extremely unlikely if you compare the amount of drug users who don't develop it to the drug users who do.

I would caution you to be very careful with ecstasy. It's produced a host of mental health issues with me after doing too much in one night.

If you do partake make sure to take a low dose (no higher than 300mg), watch your body temp very closely (stay cool), and take a bunch of antioxidants before hand. also stay hydrated.

IMO it's not worth it because mental health issues are seriously the toughest thing in the world to deal with. based on your inquiry it seems like you may have some predisposition towards it and one night of E could push you over the edge if you aren't very careful.

take it from me.

Cat is right.
Any mental illness within your immediate or extended family places you in a higher risk bracket.

Very large-scale studies have shown that marijuana use is associated with a 500% increase in the incidence of schizophrenia. If you are susceptible genetically, smoking marijuana is not a good idea.

No such definitive research exists for MDMA, but it is well documented that psychedelics in general can cause extreme psychosis in other-wise healthy individuals. It may be that regular use of cannabis increases the risk of MDMA induced psychosis.

The most reliable way to get into trouble with MDMA is to use it repeatedly.
The more often you roll and the higher the dose you take, the greater the risk.
It is considered a fact that re-dosing causes more damage. There is no debate about this.

MDMA targets the prefrontal cortex, where your higher thinking/emotion occurs.
The same thing that makes MDMA great, also makes it dangerous.

If you damage enough serotonin receptors in the PFC, blood-flow and function are seriously effected. 'Clinical' recovery does happen, but often over a VERY long period of time. Plenty of research suggests that even in 'recovered' former users the serotonin innervation in the PFC never returns to normal density.

Some users argue that this is not 'definitively' proven.
If you require definitive proof in order to play it safe with your own brain, then go for it. If you are wise, you will listen to the 'definitive' examples of MDMA recovery in front of you. We try to warn others, sometimes in vain.

Even if you follow the established 'rules' you are still taking a risk.
So at least follow the rules.

No re-dosing. Space your rolls by 3 months. Take antioxidants, drink electrolytes, and watch your body temperature closely.

Treat your body as kindly as you can before and after MDMA. That means healthy diet, lots of sleep, and some exercise.

I would caution you to be very careful with ecstasy. It's produced a host of mental health issues with me after doing too much in one night.

If you do partake make sure to take a low dose (no higher than 300mg), watch your body temp very closely (stay cool), and take a bunch of antioxidants before hand. also stay hydrated.

IMO it's not worth it because mental health issues are seriously the toughest thing in the world to deal with. based on your inquiry it seems like you may have some predisposition towards it and one night of E could push you over the edge if you aren't very careful.

take it from me.

this pretty much sums it up.
just make sure that you dont take too much,
and that you're actually getting mdma and not some RC,
but like they said,
if theres a history of mental illness within the fam,
its best to not take yer chances.

Yes FBC ... 600% actually.

To the person who claims MDMA cannot cause psychosis.. you are wrong. People talk about the "shadow people" they see on methamphetamines, and while I've never done Meth, I've seen those same people after multiple day binges on MDMA. People would probably also say that you can't go into psychosis from benzo use, I would argue that I was in full blown psychosis for an entire week after going cold turkey off of a 9 month long (approx) 20+ mg a day habit of Xanax. IMO any drug you misuse can put you into some sort of psychosis.

I've taken a lot of MDMA in the past few years, and I have decided recently to not use it anymore for reasons other than depression, anxiety, etc. but I will tell you that most people develop certain mental illnesses from MDMA use. If you have ANY family history of mental illness and want to use the drug, you've come to the right place. Do as much research as possible before consuming and realize the real dangers than can occur if abused. MDMA is a chemical that must be respected or it will come back to bite you in the ass. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, although if you are hesitant at all, please do not ingest any MDMA.

Simply going without sleep can cause psychosis - if you have a history of mental health problems then a single use could be enough to exacerbate your symptoms.

Amphetamine induced psychosis is a terrifying experience that can take months to get over.

I rolled nonstop from age 19-30 every weekend and did 20 tabs one night. Now I'm 35 and have schizoaffective disorder but when I smoke weed I go psychotic. Would it be ok to take pure MDMA?