• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

opium from poppy seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsleep

Bluelighter
I'm aware of the tea obviously, but was wondering about yielding actual raw opium from the seeds? i have heard little things here and there but seemingly nothing concrete, can it be done?

I know this has been discussed a lot in the past, and you can probably find more than enough info by searching. But to sum it up, most seeds are washed before they are distributed, leaving little to no alkaloids left on them.

On the other hand, retrieving unwashed seeds directly from a pod, will have SOME alkaloids on the seeds. I've heard of people making tea from these seeds, some having success. As far as a process of extracting raw opium from the seeds, I've never heard of it being done. That doesn't mean it's not possible. But I would imagine the process would be tedious, take lots of know how, tons of seeds etc. That's if it would even be possible.

I've heard of people making opium from Australian seeds. Dunno how they did it though.

There isn't opium in the seeds and if you try to make tea from seeds from dried pods, you won't get anything basically.

When poppies are cultivated for seeds they use a process that crushes the whole fresh pod to get the seeds out and this gets opium from inside the walls of the poppies onto the seeds. The seeds are then separated from the rest of the plant and some of the opium remains stuck to the seeds so you can wash the seeds in water to extract the opiates.

The best way to get opium from poppy seeds is to grow them into poppy plants. (We don't discuss this at BL though.)

Extracting opiates from poppy seeds is a crappy method. Even pod tea is better.

^Not only is it a crappy method, but the amount of alkaloids in each batch of poppy pod or poppy seed tea is extremely unpredictable.

hmm ya this seems to be the verdict where ever i ask. i have to assume whoever claimed this could be done was lying or smoking some weird boiled crap and got a psychosomatic "buzz". ah well, was worth asking, kind of a shame, but it's basically what i expected. i suppose my search for raw opium will have to continue.

^ Pardon my pedantry, but psychosomatic is a term that refers to physical ailments produced by mental processes. You're referring to a placebo effect.

If poppy seeds do not have the opium washed off of them before being commercially distributed, you CAN extract the alkaloids into water off of the seeds and achieve opioid effects by consuming this but as has been mentioned - you take risks given the variability and on top of this, have to locate seeds that haven't been washed as well as drink a large quantity of really foul tasting 'tea'.

Hoping to get opium from a seed is like trying to get THC from a seed of herb. The seed does not contain any alkaloids naturally. The only chances of that happening is if some sticky goo came into contact with the seed and didnt get rubbed off by your finngers (or a common prewash) when you picked it up. Any opium you did find, would be so minimal that it really wouldnt be worth it. The pods however, Papaver somniferum,can be legally obtained for decorative purposes and contain a bit of opium. The thing that you're (not) supposed to do with them is grind em up and make a tea, that's against the law . For those who don't have much of a tolerance.... or who have the means to make a potent batch, it can give a good feeling.... and it can definitely help ease withdrawal symptoms.

Last edited:
Poppy seeds absolutely contain opiate alkaloids on their surfaces which can easily be extracted by soaking them in water. A few things have to be taken into consideration though. One there is only a very small amount of opiates so you need a lot of seeds for it to work. Threshold doses are around half a lbs for non opiod tolerant people to around 3.5 lbs which killed an opiate tolerant kid (check out poppy seed kills .com). *******Every batch of seeds is completely different, it is extremely unpredictable and you never know what your getting which is why PST and PPT are so dangerous if not careful. The numbers i said are estimates and can vary greatly.******* Two, the general consensus is some seeds are washed, some more then others but regardless washing would most likely not get all of the opiates off the seeds. However it is better to use non brand name seeds bought in bulk that are less likely to have been washed, although I have used seeds from the grocery store and definitely experienced some effects. Three, you cannot extract pure opium from poppy seeds however; if you wash your seeds in isopropyl alcohol rather then water, strain the alcohol and then let it evaporate, you will get a brownish sticky substance. You can eat it and it works just as well as drinking the tea would, but whether or not it is smokable I've heard some debate. People have said they smoked it and experience something but I doubt it was as strong as it would have been from eating it or smoking real opium. I don't know for sure but it is likely IVing would be a terrible idea, the tea will contain many of the opiate alkaloids that don't get you high some of which are not good for you like narcotine and can make you sick. None the less drinking the tea many people do it without problems or just slight stomach aches.

I know this has been discussed a lot in the past, and you can probably find more than enough info by searching. But to sum it up, most seeds are washed before they are distributed, leaving little to no alkaloids left on them.

On the other hand, retrieving unwashed seeds directly from a pod, will have SOME alkaloids on the seeds. I've heard of people making tea from these seeds, some having success. As far as a process of extracting raw opium from the seeds, I've never heard of it being done. That doesn't mean it's not possible. But I would imagine the process would be tedious, take lots of know how, tons of seeds etc. That's if it would even be possible.

my friend just called me excited as hell because he successfully made opium/smokeable paste out of poppy seeds. intrigued i inquired as to his method and he told me he simply soaked 150g of store bought seeds in 91% isopropryl, filtered into a glass jar, and evaporated in front of a portable heater. he then smeared the paste onto a cigarette and said he is feeling amazing. he has zero tolerance after abstaining for 5 months so he said to take that into account when i determine my dose. i cant wait to try it

Hi cashcropkiller, welcome to BL and BDD :)

Glad your friend has found a method that works! The info you have shared is great, and if this was a current thread then it would be fantastic to share your knowledge, but as the question was asked in June, I'm going to close it..

In BDD we are generally speaking a quick q&a forum. We encourage members to start a new thread with their harm reduction-related question so thet get a personalised response and their question isn't lost within a big thread and overlooked. However, this means a lot of new threads and a lot of traffic (and a lot of work for the staff!) so in order for us to make it run smoothly, we've had to cut back on general discussion and resurrecting old threads in this way.. take a look at the "state of BDD" sticky on the main page, and the BDD guidelines in my signature :)

If you fancy a chat, we have a friendly social thread (link in my sig) and if you have a question that fits into our guidelines, please feel free to start a new thread! If you have any queries, pm myself or one of the other staff members :)

Oh, and enjoy your opium! Start with a small dose as with anything, especially as it is impossible to know how strong it will be with something like this..

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.