• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Neurontin and it's interactions with opiates, especially methadone

luvmyPriusHybrid

Greenlighter
Last week my psychiatrist put me on Neurontin (300mg. 3x's daily) for my herniated disc that is pressing on one of the sciatic nerve roots causing extreme pain and discomfort. I am also on methadone 140mg. daily
I know that neurontin interacts with vicodin leading to decreased levels of the drug in the bloodstream.
I have not been able to find anything that says neurontin interacts with methadone...HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that there hasn't been any cases of interactions. They just go unreported.
I also take .9mg clonidine, 2mg. xanax, 400mg. Wellbutrin SR., and 30mg. of dexedrine daily.
Has anyone, in their own experiences, know of any interaction between neurontin and these drugs? Especially methadone and clonidine.
Thanks guys

Pregabalin increases the effects of all opiates, including Methadone, so I'd assume gabapentin would. However gabapentin is significantly weaker than pregabalin so maybe not by much. They are the next best thing to benzodiazepines & are safer. I'm surprised you were given gabapentin and not pregabalin, these days doctors love to prescribe pregabalin. However its quite expensive if you don't have insurance, unlike gabapentin.

Last week my psychiatrist put me on Neurontin (300mg. 3x's daily) for my herniated disc that is pressing on one of the sciatic nerve roots causing extreme pain

Why is your psychiatrist treating your herniated disc?

And, agree with what K'd said.

yah, gabapentin greatly increases the amount of dopamine produced by other drugs such as xanax and methadone...gabapentin is sort of a weird drug. it works better if you take 100mgs every hour...when i had the shit before lyrica, i would pop one every hour for 6 hours and the last hour i would take 1-3mgs klonopin and drink 1-2 beers and i'd be nodding off hard!! it's going to make your xanax hit like bricks and going to add even more to the methadone nod, so be careful...i suggest taking your first dose alone so you know how to react...

for me the ratio between pregabalin and gabapentin is roughly 3:1, mileage may very...but i like lyrica way better as it feels much cleaner idk how to explain it

Actually, I'm pretty sure the reports say opiates potentiate the effects of gabapentin- not the other way around. There are no known contraindictions and a quick google search shows neurontin is often given with opiates to reduce the amount of drugs needed for pain relief.

^^ It makes alcohol and xanax more "powerful" because all three drugs act on the gaba receptors.

yah, gabapentin greatly increases the amount of dopamine produced by other drugs such as xanax and methadone

Actually pregabalin "doesn't" raise levels of dopamine. It is inactive at serotonin and dopamine receptors and does not inhibit dopamine, serotonin, or noradrenaline reuptake. Pregabalin does not bind directly to GABAA, GABAB, or benzodiazepine receptors, does not block sodium channels, is not active at opiate receptors, and does not alter cyclooxygenase enzyme activity. Pregabalin is a structural analogue of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) Pregabalin does not show direct GABA-mimetic effects, but increases neuronal GABA levels. Pregabalin reduces neuronal calcium currents by binding to the alpha-2-delta subunit of calcium channels, and this particular mechanism may be responsible for effects in neuropathic pain, anxiety, and other pain syndromes.

Benzodiazepines aren't associated with dopamine either. Benzodiazepines enhance the actions of GABA by binding to specific recognition sites on GABA-a receptors

Actually, I'm pretty sure the reports say opiates potentiate the effects of gabapentin- not the other way around. There are no known contraindictions and a quick google search shows neurontin is often given with opiates to reduce the amount of drugs needed for pain relief.

^^ It makes alcohol and xanax more "powerful" because all three drugs act on the gaba receptors.

No, it definitely works both ways, that's what makes it such a powerful combination. I've made opiates work that didn't work on me alone by combining with Lyrica. These were strong opiates as well, that just somehow didn't work on me anymore, and by taking with Lyrica the whole effect returned increased. I couldn't really feel the Lyrica then as the opiate seemed to over-power. But normally you get a strange combination of both drugs. Very excellent, but really expensive and wrecks your tolerance, so it's more for the rare occasion.

Lyrica seems to prolong the effects of opiates and benzodiazepines. The opiate does sort of over power the effects of pregabalin but you'll notice that you start to experience this numbing sedation that takes over your body, especially your back. And that is a good thing. Damn, I wish I had some opiates right now to combine with my Lyrica...

This seems like an interesting combo, as I have a script for Lyrica, which is very similar to gabapentin. I think they might fight each other in terms of effects. I will usually to an opiate or Lyrica on different days, but never both at the same time. I'll try it out and report back :).

Give it a go. If you like them both by themselves then you should like them combined. Much more pronounced sedation, it will creep up on your back.

i took neurontin for a month or so, and im also on 80mg of methadone daily...but when they did blood work at my clinic, trough, it showed ZERO methadone in my blood. neurontin definitely DECREASES the amount of methadone in the blood....in my case anyway

OR JUST WAITING 2 HOURS BEFORE AND AFTER METHADONE any opioid/opiate plus benzo to prevent it reducing absoprtion I take more then the 1200MG Twice Daily Divided Doses And i USE WAY MORE sometimes way less bit less bit more as prescribed varies ju got my Baclofen 80mg daily fuckikng FUCKED WITH cock suckers eh friend hooked me extra benzos but Ugh so dumb the things they r tellin me to ANYONE not just me lol.