• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

Thanks for the answer again! I'll use buds next time I run a bho batch. By popcorn buds are you referring to their size? I have never heard that term.

The pollinator looks pretty good! I guess the only thing left if I wanted hash would be to press the powder? And for Jelly hash I simply mix that kief with some bho? If it's the case it seems like a good idea!

I just looked up videos and it doesn't seem too complicated, I will definitely try it when I have valuable sugar leaves.

I think I won't have time this summer to do a guerrilla grow as i'm going on a trip in germany for around a month and half :( Since i'm leaving at the end of may I could plant some and hope for them to grow, but I would be surprised if I get anything out of this...

If it's not possible i'll keep smoking buds until the time I get quality leaves or until the next year when i'll have all summer long to grow!

Popcorn buds are the ones that are too whispy and small to be worth smoking but too good to throw away. They're the ones lower down on the plant where they don't get as much light, although a good grower won't produce too much of this type of bud if he trims the bottom third of the plant off completely.

If you dig up the soil and plant the plant in the ground and add a mulch and water it really thoroughly you could easily leave it for a month and a half. Lots of people do that, but you would need a really thick mulch at least 6-8" deep. You would also need to ammend the soil with something that will retain water, such as composted vegetable waste or composted manure. Failing that coir or peat (sweetened with dolomite lime to raise the pH) would work. Just ask in the grow section if you want more tips.

Last edited:
BHO methodology and recipes please

Trying to get a solid BHO thread going with various methods on how people like to do things, what sort of extraction tube you might be using, the butane your using various supplies. What method you personally use to purge your oil whether it be by vac sealing it or by just running one or two hot water baths.

Genuinely interested in starting a smart discussion on this please.<3<3<3

Trying to get a solid BHO thread going with various methods on how people like to do things, what sort of extraction tube you might be using, the butane your using various supplies. What method you personally use to purge your oil whether it be by vac sealing it or by just running one or two hot water baths.

Genuinely interested in starting a smart discussion on this please.<3<3<3

okief extraction tube
colibri tane
hot water evap.
Ti skillet to smoke that shit.

Ha, I had some honey over a year ago. finally ran out of it one day when I decided it wasn't getting used fast enough (as always seems to be the case with quality pot products), so I heated the little glass bottle up and poured the remainder on a bowl of og kush.

and like they said, just use a bath of hot water and place the container in it.

and if it doesnt make you cough then somethings not right. youre inhaling oil vapors.

I'm gonna make a run of BHO with popcorn buds pretty soon, I just have a few questions before doing so.

How fine do I want to grind my material? When I used trim I used a blender until it was almost powdery. I used the blender because I was using big amounts, but I want to run between a quarter and an ounce of buds now, should I use my grinder, scissors or keep with the blender?

Also, the tube I use is quite big. It can fit more than a quarter pound of grinded material, so I am wondering if I should use a tube with a smaller diameter for a small batch because all my material will fit almost 1/3 or 1/4 of my tube I estimated.

If I should use a smaller tube, do you have anything to say about using a PVC tube? I remember reading somewhere that it was not suggested but there was nothing more about it.

Thanks!

It's not necessary to grind to a powder but it might make it a bit easier to deal with. Use a coffee grinder - the bullet style available on that auction website. You could just use a grinder since all you need to be exposing are the trichomes on the bud surface, which means the flowers don't need to be ground down to a powder to liberate the cannabinoid-laden oil.

As for the PVC, I don't know, but I've read some harmful contaminants can get into your oil. You can get a honeybee extractor (or whatever it's called) made of the right materials but I think copper pipe would work fine and be more durable and less prone to explode in your face.

Alright, i'll use my grinder since I only want to make a small batch.

Do you think i'd have any problems with a tube filled only filled to 25% of it's capacity?

And what are your average usage for butane cans per ounce of flowers? I usually use around a can for a ounce and a half of trim.

^ 25% filled with bud? If so sure, that would definitely be fine. I'm not sure about the average amount used because I haven't really kept an eye on that, but I do make sure the buds are all covered by and exposed to the butane to get the most out of them without leaving any resinous trichome oil behind. I would stress that it's very important that you have exactly te right type of butane since most brands available have harmful additives (annoyingly) which show up as a residue if the butane is poured carefully onto a shiny surface like a mirror.

Do you use dry bud or fresh?

The buds are pretty dry. I bought a significant amount and i'm just going to take out the popcorn buds out of the bag, which should be about 1 oz. The same buds that i'm smoking, which are mids, but way better quality that my hay-smelling trim I used earlier haha.

My tube has a capacity of 4 oz or even more that's why I was wondering if i'd be better with a smaller tube.

I use that kind of butane :
http://ahturf.com/store/image/cache/data/product_images/1/0/9/6/7/0/109670-500x500.jpg

It's not refined as I have not found yet refined butane. I read somewhere that cigars shops may store it?

I should go ask at my local headshop when I can use my car, hopefully next week, if they store it, but as far as i'm concerned, that kind of extraction with butane is almost inexistant in my area. When people make oil, they use naphta, but I heard enough bad things about it that I don't want to use it. I'm also under the impression that it would be way overpriced in a headshop but i'll check it out.

What kind of store do you buy yours in?

I would definitely not use unrefined butane with additives! It's a really bad idea mate. You want to ask around on US Canadian forums where to buy the pure butane but please try not to take shortcuts. It's really not worth it even if one would think it would be fine.

I live in the UK, but if I were in your situation and couldn't buy butane from the shops or order it online, I would definitely be doing an isopropyl extraction instead. Safety is quite important with this sort of thing and I'm quite sure smoking the harmful additives present in butane that's not been designed for our purposes would probably be harmful to your health. Iso hash if done right can be very high quality and potent and seems like it would be a much better option for you in your situation IMO. If you can get hold of pure ethanol you can use that as well. My friend makes his own with a still from fermented bran and it seems to work really well.

BHO Oil from buds vs oil from ground weed

So I have a question for people: do you get a difference in yield and/or quality of the oil when you make oil from whole buds (just jam them into the tube) or when you grind most of it up and only use nugs on the top and bottom, but still jam it down really tight (like you're supposed to)

Also, once a friend and I made oil from weed and about 2 grams of kief, it was super duper fire and we got a shit ton obviously. But do you think that using kief could improve the potency or quality of the oil? Or does it not matter as long as you cook it correctly afterwards?

I would definitely not use unrefined butane with additives! It's a really bad idea mate. You want to ask around on US Canadian forums where to buy the pure butane but please try not to take shortcuts. It's really not worth it even if one would think it would be fine.

Thanks mate, I just looked up online and it seems that they ship butane to Canada. I will end up ordering it online, but have a dilemma now, I hesitate between buying "Power brand Refined 5x butane" or "Colibri Premium butane" (the grey can with blue cap). Do you have any experience with any of them?

I'd go with Colibri but since it isn't mentioned that it's refined I want to make sure before buying 12 cans.

Forgive the newbie question but can you make hash or hash oil out of roaches or the same weed you use to smoke with? I'm in the city in apartment with no balacony and the only "trim" i have are the nickel bags I buy off the corner. In another thread someone mentioned they put their roaches in an ISO jar or something to that effect, whats ISO?

Iso is Isopropyl alcohol. I believe you could use what's left of all your roaches to make an iso wash, but I have no experience with it. You can search for Isopropyl extraction for example.

Thank you for the replies, I ordered a pack of Colibri butane this morning. I will give you guys feedbacks on how my oil turns out in a week or so :)

A little update. Turns out I couldn't really find a Canada based online seller for quality butane and somehow nobody will ship it from the US, even by ground... So after calling 15 cigar shops in the area one of them tells me they have colibri. So I head there, after 1 hour of public transports I get there, but the Colibri they had wasn't the one I was used to (this can : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V1qO6xxYL._SS500_.jpg. Is it similar to the other can?)

Since I wasn't so sure it was as good, I ended buying the London brand which had the "near zero impurities" logo on it. I did my bho extraction earlier this evening with 31 grams of little buds, the strain is unknown, probably a C+/B-, pretty sure it's grown outdoor, has a skunky smell. I yielded 2,2 grams of some "dark here and kind of gold there" oil, much better than before. After I mixed it it got to a really more brown/gold color. The taste resembles a lot it's smell, which is a great improvement. Also, I notice way less coughing after my hit than with my past oil experience.

Thanks for the advises again. This is the butane I used http://www.a51.ca/skateshop/published/publicdata/A51CAA51WEBASYST/attachments/SC/products_pictures/16728-web_enl.jpg. If what I read is true, ends up it is made by colibri haha.

Also the high is way better ;) Even though I hadn't dabbed for a week or so and smoked really less these days, 1 little dab hit me good :)

Last edited: