• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

Yes.... and whats up with not putting direct flame on the oil.... If you rup the oil on pot and smoke it in a bowl, you will waste most of it?

Is a blunt or joint a better way to use hash oil....

and my hash oil I made using the isopropyl extraction turned out goey like resin, or slightly similar to opium, there is no way I could put this stuff in an eye dropper.... what should I do? HELP!!!

1 more question... I hear people tossing around a couple hours- overnight.... for how long to soak the pot in the alcohol... but I read a method with pictures that said to shake the pot and isopropyl around for several minutes and then to pour out. Did I lose a lot of my yield, was this bad info?

I am planning on doing a 2-lb extraction with a very large stainless steel bin or tank or whatever you want to call it. Questions...

- Could I use isopropanol for this? I have gallons of 70% at disposal and shelling a few bucks for 9*% wouldn't be too bad. I have never seen "Everclear" in my life but if I asked around I might be able to find enough. By the way, these are not very compressed so it will indeed take quite a bit.

- Would it be better to space out extractions into 1/4 lbs at a time or something of that nature?

- What can I expect if I allow it to soak for a few days? Would it even matter? I plan on doing a good, hard stir every 12 hours. Should I wait longer? Wait way less?

- If I do have to do many seperate batches (I can find monstrous jars), what should I do with that? Seeing as I may be doing individual (rather than bulk) selling, this has a slight chance of being the method I use. So should I change up anything if so?

And I don't expect a precise answer, but can anyone give me a guess as to how many grams of the oils I will get if I have nearly dank stuff and extract properly? Any input greatly appreciated.

--mic

It's officially in my best interests doing many batches seperate. So that's all I have to say, any all the questions now revolve around doing 1 oz for now as of the late news of no rush.

Better test than sorry.

--mic

kjb1891 said:
What about petroleum ether? Is that almost as good as butane? Also, is petroleum distillates the same thing as pretoleum ether?

petroleum ether is the best liqiud solvent one can use , but still different color &consistency than butane oil , more black and tarry , so not as good as butane.

Id ditilattrs are fractions of petroleum ether which is a mixture of different solvents with similar boiling points i guess but im not sure

p.s butane is a lot easier to get than petroleume ether in most counytiries and the setup-up is really cheap easy and effective if well designed , not to mention the product is superb

the official hash oil\honey oil

MildKandy said:
1 more question... I hear people tossing around a couple hours- overnight.... for how long to soak the pot in the alcohol... but I read a method with pictures that said to shake the pot and isopropyl around for several minutes and then to pour out. Did I lose a lot of my yield, was this bad info?

Get a cold-finger extractor online they are excellent and produce very very high quality product. Use only vodka or everclear alcohol(the ones you drink),never use isopropyl alcohol its poisionous. The cold-finger extractor does 4oz at one time and is highly efficient. they also have bigger models that do up to 200lbs. of plant material (couple thousand dollars) for industrial use. Other than that just make strong brownies out of it and you wiil be tripping for hrs.(5-8hrs)!!!
Any ? just ask!!
NARKOS:D

^^ ethanol, methanol, butane and iso are in a way all poisonous.
They evaporate so don't worry :eek:
MildKandy said:
and my hash oil I made using the isopropyl extraction turned out goey like resin, or slightly similar to opium, there is no way I could put this stuff in an eye dropper.... what should I do? HELP!!!

Dissolve in alcohol to make it runny again.

Depends what you want. If you keep the weed in there too long the oil will turn a green/black and taste nastier than if you do a quick soak. It's because if you keep it in too long, the water in your iso(even if you have99%) will start dissolving chlorophyl. Do it for 2 minutes or so and the oil will be a nice gold colour. I guess afterwards you could still soak it longer to extract everything, including the nasties..

edit: bingeboy, any black/ dark green colour is because of chlorophyll, or the oil extracting other non-thc product.

All the hash oil i have ever had was thick and sticky as fuck, very hard to work with. Is there a way to make it have a little bit more liquidly consistancey? I would like to be able to spread it on a cigarrette or rolling paper. Shit it would make spreading it on some bud a hella of a lot easier too.

honey.jpg

All the hash oil i have ever had was thick and sticky as fuck, very hard to work with. Is there a way to make it have a little bit more liquidly consistancey? I would like to be able to spread it on a cigarrette or rolling paper. Shit it would make spreading it on some bud a hella of a lot easier too.

Heat it up.............hot water bath or a few flicks of the bic...........gets cold up here in the bay...=D

Cold iso method:

Cold isopropyl works really good. Keep it in the freezer for some time until it is really cold, and then use it to very lightly soak the herb for no more than a half hour. Then attach some screen to the jars you soaked it in, and turn them upside down to drain as the slow flowing alcohol warms up and flows more freely. The stuff that drains will be green and rugged compared to the short-soak. B-grade. After that, strain and leave the solution in glass bottles with some activated carbon in them overnight in the freezer, filtering the carbon out and evaporating or distilling the alcohol off. The carbon can sometimes be tricky to filter out without really good filter paper, but is a step well worth doing.

The oil made from the second grade stuff can be mixed with olive oil or some other edible oil and put into capsules with a syringe to be eaten, unless you don't mind smoking it, or are willing to try and clean it up with some petroleum ether or carbon.

Cold iso method:

Cold isopropyl works really good. Keep it in the freezer for some time until it is really cold, and then use it to very lightly soak the herb for no more than a half hour. Then attach some screen to the jars you soaked it in, and turn them upside down to drain as the slow flowing alcohol warms up and flows more freely. The stuff that drains will be green and rugged compared to the short-soak. B-grade. After that, strain and leave the solution in glass bottles with some activated carbon in them overnight in the freezer, filtering the carbon out and evaporating or distilling the alcohol off. The carbon can sometimes be tricky to filter out without really good filter paper, but is a step well worth doing.

if its green there is too much chlorophyl in it because its been sitting too long.

Short washes yield the most pure product.

^ duh. I said one is green, one is not. You do a short wash, and a drain. the drain is green and gnarly, and the first short wash is as gold as can be. I thought I made myself clear enough in that post.

And you can remove clorophyll with carbon or a bi-layer petroleum ether extraction.

This is the place to post questions/give advice on making hash or other extracts/concentrates of cannabis for smoking.
Q: What is hash?
A:"Hashish" or "hash" is the name given to an agglomeration of the capitate-stalked glandular trichomes (the resin glands or "crystals") of the cannabis plant. These resin glands contain the highest concentration of cannabinoids to be found anywhere on the plant. Hashish generally takes the form of a brownish solid, which can range in texture from soft and malleable to hard and brittle or fluffy and crumbly. It is a concentrated form of cannabis.

Q: What is hash oil?
A: "Hash oil" is a concentrated extract of cannabis that is made chemically, rather than physically. It is a liquid that can be runny or thick, black or golden, depending on a number of factors. It can be extremely strong.

Q: How can I make hash?
A: The first hash was made by hand-rubbing. You are unlikely to want to use this labour-intensive, inefficient method. You can choose to make sieved hash or water-extracted hash. Most Western hashmakers use the water method. This results in high yields of a very potent product. However, the water washes away much of the flavour of the hash.

Q: How can I make hash oil?
A: You expose the cannabis to a solvent, then evaporate the solvent. That's it, in principle. There are many ways to make hash oil; BHO and QWISO are the most common, with BHO generally being considered a superior product.

Q: What can I make hash from?
A: Hand-rubbed hash is made from living plants. Sieved hash is generally made from flowers ("buds"). Water-extracted hash and hash oil can be made from pretty much any cannabis material, including trim that would otherwise be disposed of.

Q: So, I have to choose one of these methods?
A: Not necessarily. There is nothing stopping you from making some sieved hash, using the same cannabis to make water-hash, and then re-using it to make oil from.

Q: Why would I want to do this?
A: Some people (myself included) just prefer smoking hash to cannabis. It has a different flavour, and can have a different effect profile. Some people want something more potent than weed; Grade A bubblehash or BHO certainly fulfil this requirement. Some people (usually growers) want to make use of trim that would otherwise be thrown away.

Q: Is it difficult?
A: No!
in this thread i'm going to discuss the different processes and methods of extracting the thc and active cannabinoids from m-j..first we'll start with the crudest and simplest method which'd be a typical solvent extraction using acetone as the solvent..then we'll move up to the more complicated methods such as a supercritical fluid extraction using iso-butane as the solvent.. any questions?

Last edited by a moderator: