• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

I just grinded 4 oz's of dried leaf & covered (in glass jar w/ lid) with 91% Isopropyl alcohol...Is it a bad idea to soak it over a half hour ? I just wanted to make sure all the THC is extracted (being it's not 99% Iso Alc.) I'm not worried about the chlorophyll because the leaf was sweat cured (extracting most of the chlorophyll)...

soak for half hour-1 hour filter off and add solvent to the plant matter again to pull out the rest of the THC while the other lot of solvent is evaprating.......

When using isopropyl alcohol, you pull most of the goodies within 30 seconds or so, after that you're just pulling chlorophyll and other shit you don't want and thus getting an inferior product.

Acetone / hash oil extraction

Hi there. After plenty of research and search engine-fu, I've decided to make hash oil using acetone as a solvent. Reasons being it's cheap, I have it on hand, it's quickly evaporating and if you use pure acetone as I plan to, apparently it's plenty safe. Other solvents wouldn't be practical for my current situation, so acetone it is.

Anyway, my question is does anyone have a certain technique they prefer over another? A link to a tutorial you found particularly helpful? Or how about a few tips/tricks you've learned from trial and error in your oil-making exploits? Any of these things, or really any information relating to using acetone as a hash oil solvent would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Update. The experiment was a success. I ground up the pot, stuck it in a glass jar, put in enough acetone to cover the weed and covered the jar.

Then I shook it for about 5 minutes, and used a tea (metal) strainer to drain off the acetone onto a plate.

Set the plate outside for an hour or so, and once it was dry I scraped up all the greenish-brown residue with a razorblade and let it dry for another hour.

Ta-da. Quick and painless hash oil. Next time I'll use more weed.

I just did this with isopropyl. The end product, to me, is very hard to work with. I can scrape it into a pipe on the edges but that takes too long. The best thing ive come up with is to get a bit of tobacco and mix it in with the residue and play with it till its like a ball and I can pick it up and put it in a pipe. You should try the butane extraction and let us know how it goes. The results from that seem to be allot more pure and more of a liquid.

I just did this with isopropyl. The end product, to me, is very hard to work with. I can scrape it into a pipe on the edges but that takes too long. The best thing ive come up with is to get a bit of tobacco and mix it in with the residue and play with it till its like a ball and I can pick it up and put it in a pipe. You should try the butane extraction and let us know how it goes. The results from that seem to be allot more pure and more of a liquid.

Get a pin dip it/scrape it in ya hash oil hold it over what eva u want it to drop on and gently heat the pin so it drips down 2-3 drops ontop of a cones is great :p.I find butane to always yeild alot less than solvent soaking method....

Hash oil

I found this site when I googled hashish oil explosion and read a forum... I wanted to share my experience but I am not sure where the appropriate place for that would be.... here? Any help would be much appreciated.

^ if he did actual research he would have known the first rule:

DON'T BUTANE EXTRACT INDOORS, EVER. It's uninformed decisions like that which create a need for bluelight in the first place, we would never advocate doing any kind of BHO extraction inside, and that's always been stressed by the core community here. I hope he recovers well, that's horrible.

My methods for making honey oil:

Always chill butane before using it in a freezer. Any co-solvent I use, I also chill in a freezer (I like to use diethyl ether or isopropanol) - it increases the specificity of the fractions of the weed extracted; the honey oil is less yellow this way too. You need to run a little more solvent through the material as the solubility is lowered at a lower temp but it's worth it.

Usually, when I make honey oil I do it very small-scale, inside just a drinking straw (packed full of skunky weed), and drip the produced oil directly into a meth pipe. This way, there is no waste!
If using cosolvent, I pippete this in till the weed is visibly soaked, then proceed to the next step. I buy a Newport can of butane (the purest I have found), one of the snap-on attachments in the lid fits almost perfectly inside the top of the drinking straw, sealing the can to the straw. In the bottom of the straw, underneath the weed, I shove a bit of silver foil in a ball, friction-fit to act as a filter to prevent weed from being blown out.

I then press the can into the attachment so butane comes out. If using cosolvent, it mixes in there in-situ. Butane is continued to flow till it flows crystal clear from the end. The meth pipe is warmed in my hands to increase rate of evaporation. Usually, it only takes around 5 minutes till compeltely done. Then, just smoke up! Beautiful, fragrant, delicious honey oil.

TheLuckyOne, is there a reason you deleted your post above? I think that it could be a valuable warning to others, and think it would be good if it was visible, but obviously it's your post and it's up to you.

I've been experimenting with QWISO extractions, and it's really been awesome. Turning previously useless trim/free "compassion bags" of trim from dispensaries in the area into sweet, golden oil is a humbling experience sometimes.

Last night I had purchased a handheld fan for evaporation assistance and after I had drained the alcohol onto the plate I set it on my windowsill to dry, with the fan standing next to it. The fan ended up catching a piece of the furry stripping hanging off the window in the foam blades, knocking a shitload of tiny fibers all over my fresh extraction.
I had to think fast to save it, so after a slight panic, I grabbed a needle out of my grandma's sowing gear and picked them out one by fucking one. I needed to do it quickly before the alcohol evaporated on me as it was already half dried by the time I fucked it up, so it was a bit of a race against the clock.

I finally did get them all out, and saved the oil. I'm smoking it now and it has to be the best batch I've made so far.

The moral of the story is be mindful of your drying spot, especially if you're using a fan or something like that. Oh, and fuck fibers.

I've been experimenting with QWISO extractions, and it's really been awesome. Turning previously useless trim/free "compassion bags" of trim from dispensaries in the area into sweet, golden oil is a humbling experience sometimes.

Last night I had purchased a handheld fan for evaporation assistance and after I had drained the alcohol onto the plate I set it on my windowsill to dry, with the fan standing next to it. The fan ended up catching a piece of the furry stripping hanging off the window in the foam blades, knocking a shitload of tiny fibers all over my fresh extraction.
I had to think fast to save it, so after a slight panic, I grabbed a needle out of my grandma's sowing gear and picked them out one by fucking one. I needed to do it quickly before the alcohol evaporated on me as it was already half dried by the time I fucked it up, so it was a bit of a race against the clock.

I finally did get them all out, and saved the oil. I'm smoking it now and it has to be the best batch I've made so far.

The moral of the story is be mindful of your drying spot, especially if you're using a fan or something like that. Oh, and fuck fibers.
i use a pot of hot water underneath a pie plate to speed up the evaporation process. you can get a piece of fine mesh to go overtop the pie plate to prevent dirt and shit from getting in.

I've never run a QISO with less then an ounce of top grade headies, but today I find myself looking at a 12 grams of Purple Frost, and wonder if I should bother doing a wash. Thoughts on yeild? It's certainly one of the higher THC strands out there.

I'm a little newish still to iso hash, but I'm really starting to get it down pat I think. Today I made my first batch that was MUCH more solid matter than oil. Usually I'll get a lot of oily goo, and a little solid hash. This time I got a pile of fluffy hash shavings and just a little goop. I figured out where I was fucking up too. I wasn't factoring in the time it takes to get the alcohol through the coffee filter as well. It seems obvious now but for some reason it wasn't clicking. Oh well.

I've also started to drain the liquid off into a second glass container before I put it on the plate. I was skipping this step before and it really helps me avoid having a ton of extra particulate in the middle of my alcohol puddle on the plate as I pour it through a steel mesh tea strainer as a last filter step.

i just use:
a mason jar,
99% iso,
a metal mesh strainer with a handle,
a coffee filter in the metal strainer,
a glass plate,
a solo cup cut at the bottom laying on the glass tray, so it works as a stand/funnel that I can rest the mesh strainer ontop of.
And a razor blade

I evaporate the alcohol by boiling a small pot of water at medium heat, then placing the glass tray ONTOP of the pot, vent the room very well, and point a fan blowing full power directly at the iso. Evaporates in about 40 minutes, then I let sit on a heating blanket, and again a fan.

Does anyone have a solid suggestion on where to put the hash right after scrapping it with a razor blade? I used wax paper for this last batch, and the paper ended up getting frozen together onto the hash. I can peel it off, but a lot gets left on the paper. To solve it i am going to iso wash the paper, but for the next batch, I'd like less of a headache.

How do you mold it after scrapping with a razor?

Well, I tried a couple of things. At first I just left it on the plate until I could think of something. Then I tried a flat smooth pill bottle cap to press it flat. That worked but to get it off I had to turn it back into powder, lol.

Then I scraped it back into a pile on the plate, grabbed two razorblades and sandwiched the hash in between them. Applied a bunch of pressure, peeled them apart and scraped it all on to one blade. Then I just used the other blade to press the loose stuff down a little. It wasn't perfect and I didn't get 100% of the powdery hash, but what I didn't get was easily picked up and scooped into the bowl I was smoking anyway.

I was thinking of using my grinder to press it down flat, and scoop it off as needed. Or use something flat, but also something you won't mind scraping the razor against to reclaim the pressed hash.

i just use:
a mason jar,
99% iso,
a metal mesh strainer with a handle,
a coffee filter in the metal strainer,
a glass plate,
a solo cup cut at the bottom laying on the glass tray, so it works as a stand/funnel that I can rest the mesh strainer ontop of.
And a razor blade

I evaporate the alcohol by boiling a small pot of water at medium heat, then placing the glass tray ONTOP of the pot, vent the room very well, and point a fan blowing full power directly at the iso. Evaporates in about 40 minutes, then I let sit on a heating blanket, and again a fan.

Does anyone have a solid suggestion on where to put the hash right after scrapping it with a razor blade? I used wax paper for this last batch, and the paper ended up getting frozen together onto the hash. I can peel it off, but a lot gets left on the paper. To solve it i am going to iso wash the paper, but for the next batch, I'd like less of a headache.

How do you mold it after scrapping with a razor?

Try mixing it with a bit of baking powder. It makes it much easier to manipulate

baking powder? i use kief. easier to smoke kief this way too if you ask me.

Try mixing it with a bit of baking powder. It makes it much easier to manipulate
thats crackhead.

i personally use an open dish for my oilz. its easy to get everything out. i make bho so it has a brittle hard cystaline texture so i can break off a chunk.

also if you fill a glass container for your oils, you can always heat the glass, in turn melting your oil so it is pour and spreadable. this is a good way to heat the last drop out of a vail and pour it on your papers, or microwave ounces of oil and pour into vials.