• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

im getting to the end of letting the isoprpoyl evaporate off. I ended up doing it in a large margarita glass and covered it with plastic cling wrap, then cut holes in the top. the shape of the glass would make it hard for me to scrape it up with a razor blade...any other suggestions on how i can get it all into a small container that i would like to get it in?
also, how do u know when all the alcohol was evaporated? just want to make sure i dont smoke this stuff a little too soon

Just evaporate it down until it's of a manageable volume, then pour it into the container and let the rest evaporate off.

it's already past that point. theres residue on the sides of the glass that gets thicker the further down it goes. only the bottom part has any liquid on it

I have no idea how to do all that shit nor do I want to... it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

I get shit comparable to hash from build up on a lightbulb vaporizer... also i fucks with resin in glass bowls. i reuse all the shit that's condensated on the materials to get another high out of it!!

i would never even contemplate smoking resin...i think it tastes disgusting. but i agree...it gets you pretty damn lit

I have no idea how to do all that shit nor do I want to... it just doesn't seem worthwhile.
Then don't post in this thread. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I saw you contribute anything positive, you just go on and on about how great your lightbulb vapouriser is. It's getting old. This thread isn't about smoking nasty pipe-scrapings, there's other threads for that, stay on-topic please.

^I'd be more worried about shattering the glass. If you use a bottle with a pre-existing weak spot, you should be able to just knock it through with a nail (just like making a crack pipe out of a miniature Courvoisier bottle ;).

I wish you hadn't mentioned the courvoisier bottle =D Bad memories!

I can't see that working with the bottle we were using but if you can do it then more power to you. Wearing gloves whilst trying that if it works is obviously a good idea though, but that goes without saying.

it's already past that point. theres residue on the sides of the glass that gets thicker the further down it goes. only the bottom part has any liquid on it

Then can't you just add a bit more alcohol?

I get shit comparable to hash from build up on a lightbulb vaporizer... also i fucks with resin in glass bowls. i reuse all the shit that's condensated on the materials to get another high out of it!!

Are you seriously being serious?

Last edited:
artificial emotion- im trying to have the alcohol evaporated before an event im going to in a few days, so no time to let more alcohol evaporate.
I think im just going to have to do my best trying to scrape it off of the curved surface

the more the alcohol evaporates off of it, it's starting to leave almost a dark brown colored jelly. is that the good stuff?

^I'd be more worried about shattering the glass. If you use a bottle with a pre-existing weak spot, you should be able to just knock it through with a nail (just like making a crack pipe out of a miniature Courvoisier bottle ;).

I was thinking that when I read "diamond tipped" as I didn't want to dig through 3 deep tool boxes. I just used a clamp, nail, and light tapping motion through the bottom center of a 40 oz. It worked just fine, though I cleaned the glass afterward as I didn't want shards of glass inside.

I could see one easily shattering if someone didn't know what they were doing, so I don't recommend this method. I also wore safety gloves, thick enough glass would not have penetrated my skin.

^ nice one. Was it successful or have you not got to the stage where you've started the actual process? Hopefully there will be a neat seal when you insert the plastic tube on the end of the can, so that not a lot of the butane escapes out of the bottle when pressing down, due to the pressure inside the bottle increasing, which will cause gas to escape out through the not only the bottom, but any hole like in the top if the hole made isn't neat enough.

edited: to delete boring safety warning I'm sure you have heard before.

edit: by the way I think glass is the ideal material for the vessel used to make BHO since there's no chance whatsoever of contaminants from metals or plastics ending up in the final product, whether it be from the butane itself reacting with the plastic/metal vessel walls or residues on the interior surface. The only thing that could make it impure is impurities in the butane itself, so it pays to make sure you're using a trusted brand that contains only butane and not the other ingredients many manufacturers add.

Last edited:
I'm also tempted to give a safety warning. I've had pressurized glassware explode on me, so make sure that you wrap a glass butane extractor with tape of some sort. It'll keep shards from flying everywhere, kind of like safety glass in a windshield.

Butane doesn't solubilize metals by the way, but if there's any sort of short-chain organic coating on it then that might dissolve. Plastics are hit and miss; some would be okay, and others not. When I was looking into building an extractor (years ago now-- never got around to doing it :() I was planning on making it out of metal. Getting the best quality butane that you are able to is very key. There can be all kinds of nasty stuff in the cheap stuff: most likely just higher-boiling alkanes, but possibly also traces of catalyst or other organic junk with a similar volatility.

On another topic (and my apologies if this is posted elsewhere-- I did a glance of the first couple of pages and couldn't find anything on the subject): I've finally gotten around to making a cannabis tincture (in ethanol), and I'm really enjoying it. 1 mL of it, at around an eighth to around 70 mL gives a gentle, smooth buzz starting at almost exactly 2 hours in. Not only does this save my lungs, but seems like it will stretch my remaining herb for a bit.

^There's a separate megathread for tinctures, link in the directory.

I'm also tempted to give a safety warning. I've had pressurized glassware explode on me, so make sure that you wrap a glass butane extractor with tape of some sort. It'll keep shards from flying everywhere, kind of like safety glass in a windshield.

Good idea about the tape. Luckily, judging by how fast the butane seemed to be coming out the bottle opening, I didn't really get the impression that was a risk, but it's definitely worth taking the precaution anyway. However wearing safety goggles, gloves, a hat and maybe a boiler suit or something similar whilst doing it outside will seriously make it a lot safer if that did happen. A fire blanket would be sensible too, but somehow I can't see anyone here ending up using one (no offence), although I might be pleasantly surprised.

I've seen photos of BHO accident victims and it ain't nice. The risk of physical danger without precautions is probably greater than a full on datura trip.

Last edited:
Heh, whoops; sorry Vader. I must remember to lurk moar when posting in unfamiliar territory.

Liquid butane doesn't really need that much pressure to stay liquid; it's vapour pressure around room temp is about 203 kPa or 29.5 psi, so as long as your failure point is above that you should be fine. It is always best to wrap a glass pressure vessel though, whether you're working with high or low pressure systems. I was partially protected by a fume hood's shield when my glassware blew, but were it not for the glass wrap I could have very likely had all kinds of nasty shrapnel in my stomach. As it stood, I just had a toxic mess to clean up, but those are easy ;)

There's a dispensary in my area which has recently started carrying a quite interesting product they've named 'Gold'. I haven't tried it, but I did get a copy of the printout that they give out with it, which has part of the GC/MS they do on it (hardcore, I know), and description, part of which reads: "Contains no Aspergillus or other toxins. Tested at 98% total cannabinoids and 86% THC."

From another forum, of which the proprietor of the dispensary is a member, and posted:
"It's a fractional distillation of cannabis performed with a vacuum evaporator by one of our members who is an analytical chemist. Vacuum evaporators are often used in the perfume trade to collect temperature-sensitive essential oils from flowers."

Heavy shit, apparently.

EDIT: and reading through some of the other posts, perhaps a clue for someone with the equipment and know-how as to how a very pure cannabis concentrate can be produced.

Is there a way to get a pic of that evaporator that he used. i'm very interested in buying one.

If there's any risk to the lungs from vaporizing herbal cannabis, let alone smoking it in a joint, then smoking or vaporizing BHO made from that cannabis must comparatively reduce that risk by quite a bit. Since people regulate their dosage according to high they'd like to be, similar to how people tend to drink less whiskey to get to a certain point of intoxicatio, BHO with it's high potency must be safer than herbal cannabis or weaker hash because you need so little material to reach a comfortable high.

So I'm an advocate of BHO. It's amazing that you can get wrecked off what looks about the size of a pinhead of material. Therefore if you can make it in a fairly safe way then you're onto a good thing IMO.

Just my two pence on BHO.

i like bho i smoke too much and my lungs hurt.

While i could settle for smoking 4 grams of bud a day... smoking .4g of BHO is easy. thats like 2 big bong tokes. so i can easily smoke more, and my lungs will feel worse.