• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

I'm strongly considering converting my entire grow into hash oil. My lungs are shit and need a break. Besides, it seems to take about as long to make hash oil as it does to properly dry and cure bud.

Is this a bad idea? Should I just cure the buds and use the trim for oil? The prospect is a little scary since I've never made oil before and could potentially lose months of work, but it seems like its difficult to fuck up too bad.

I'm strongly considering converting my entire grow into hash oil. My lungs are shit and need a break. Besides, it seems to take about as long to make hash oil as it does to properly dry and cure bud.

Is this a bad idea? Should I just cure the buds and use the trim for oil? The prospect is a little scary since I've never made oil before and could potentially lose months of work, but it seems like its difficult to fuck up too bad.

I would just use the trim for oil/hash. Take all your buds, and dry them as usual. If you want, in the future it is easy to take the dried buds and make oil.

Yeah, you probably want to cure your bud first anyway. I mean, it should definitely be dry, but depending on the method you use, you'll end up with the chlorophyll in your oil (not good) if you use hastily dried weed.

could you use leaves and stems (stems that originally had actual nugs) to make the hash oil?

Yeah, sure. Low quality input=low quality/yield output though.

/\ that's what i was thinking, but it's better than nothing. how much (weight) do you think i need to make it worth while

Depends on what you consider worthwhile, but I guess maybe an oz or so?

We can't really help you with specific sources I'm afraid. You could use a drying agent to remove the water from the 90% stuff (although you're then left asking "but where do I get the drying agent?...).

^What, to evaporate the solvent off? Any big, flat, open glass dish will do.

I just made butane honey oil this weekend with my grow partner using a beer bottle and it was very easy to do.

So you drilled a hole in the bottom, I'm guessing, and set up the filter over the neck, right? Any chance of a pic of the rig please (in NSFW of course;))?

^ I'm sure a certain person will post the photos if the camera worked.

But yes, we drilled a 3mm hole with a drill bit for glass (I think it was diamond tipped - the type jewelers use) and we used a fine metal gauze with string tied around the neck since we couldn't find the coffee filters. We did it outside of course and it seemed to work well. The pressure is not high enough to smash open the bottle with there being a hole to allow the pressure to equalize.

People see making BHO as dangerous and difficult or just the sort of thing other people would do, but even a 12 year old could do it with supervision. It really is so easy and fast.

If you're doing it I recommend gloves, two people (one carrying a fire blanket) doing it outside and some common sense (don't do what some fuckwit did and let it boil off indoors, even with ventilation, and then forget about it and light up). Don't be stoned (or on valium lol) and you should be ok.

^ I still have yet to try making BHO, but it is on the top of my list of next things to try.

I recently started using a crockpot for making green dragon and cannabutter as it has become a superior method for making those products. It occurred to me that if the crockpot works better than an oven for these products, maybe it will work better/faster for evaporating the alcohol in a QWISO. My theory recently came to life as I put a fan directly facing the crockpot (on low power) with the alcohol inside the crockpot evaporating.

I would say the alcohol evaporated at least twice as fast as ANY other method I have used (ex. using the fan alone or an electric stove). This is definitely the fastest way to evaporate the QWISO that I have found. Remember to do this in a well ventilated area with no open flames.

Also remember to not allow all of the alcohol to evaporate while sitting in the crockpot, unless you fancy scraping oil out of the crockpot itself. When using the crockpot, I prefer evaporating down to 5-10% of original volume, and then pouring the remaining ISO into a glass dish to finish evaporating. This allows you to collect the hash oil off of a big open glass, instead of an oddly shaped ceramic bowl (crockpot).

^ that's actually good to know. Thank you for sharing that wise.

When I make iso hash I only soak the buds in the iso alcohol for such a short period of time - in the region of 30 secs. The advantage is a very pure product (almost but not quite on par with BHO) but a lower yield.

I have to say I'm now a definite fan of BHO. It's so damn easy to make, and safe if you take the right precautions (which so many people frustratingly don't!).

Anyway this is my grow partner in the picture at his place. His ID is not apparent for obvious reasons.

NSFW:
attachment.php
NSFW:
attachment.php
NSFW:
attachment.php
NSFW:
attachment.php

^ Thanks (but I have to give credit to my grow partner since it was his idea originally). If you do try it, make sure to get the right drill bit (the diamond coated type that feels abrasive to the touch). I'm not so sure if regular drill bits would work, as they might slide on the shiny glass surface.

^I'd be more worried about shattering the glass. If you use a bottle with a pre-existing weak spot, you should be able to just knock it through with a nail (just like making a crack pipe out of a miniature Courvoisier bottle ;).