• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How often can I take benzos without getting addicted?

N

nfjdshfaoeisf

Can I take 2mg of xanax or konopin twice a week and not become physically addicted?

Is this too much, or could I use more frequently than that and still not become addicted?

What is the maximum number of times per week that one could take xanax, klonopin, or valium without becoming physically dependant?

You will most likely not become addicted to Alprazolam (Xanax) or Clonazepam (Klonopin) by taking 2mg twice a week, however, it's difficult for anyone to say how often you can take benzodiazepines without becoming addicted because that is not entirely how addiction works. Benzodiazepines are psychologically and physically addictive and if you are prescribed benzos, your best bet is to take them as prescribed.

Last edited:
There is no right answer to your question. Benzo's are addictive drugs, taking 2 mg of Xanax or Klonopin might not cause physical dependence, but taking it more often than twice a week will. I'd say 3-4 times a week at those doses will eventually cause dependence. You have to remember that tolerance builds up quickly, so 2 mg won't cut after a couple of weeks - you'll need 3 or 4 mg then and it just goes on and on and on.

Highly variable from person to person. Depends why you take them, how often, genetics and a slew of other factors.

Just my opinion..

<3Well just like anything else it depends on the person's addictive personality and choice on how the drug makes them feel.. just like if you love the way someone makes you feel you will want to be around that person more... and if you don't like the way a person is you distance yourself or stay away completely! If you feel like you could become addicted to something and don't want to being then maybe you should stay away from it...I had bad pill problems..I am 22yrs old and a year ago I weighed 110lbs and was taking 2 milligram xanax bars, four or five a day..I think one a week could end with addiction..good luck!

Totally depends on the person. If you have an addictive personality chances are you'll start taking higher dose and more often until your taking it everyday. That is when you become physically dependent. I don't believe you'll become dependent by taking it twice a week but no more than that. Its very easy to get into the habit of taking it more often due to its incredible ability of diminishing anxiety. You just want to keep taking it so you can always feel that way. But very quickly does tolerance increase, so be careful. Especially with potent benzos like clonazepam and alprazolam.

<3Well just like anything else it depends on the person's addictive personality and choice on how the drug makes them feel.. just like if you love the way someone makes you feel you will want to be around that person more... and if you don't like the way a person is you distance yourself or stay away completely! If you feel like you could become addicted to something and don't want to being then maybe you should stay away from it...I had bad pill problems..I am 22yrs old and a year ago I weighed 110lbs and was taking 2 milligram xanax bars, four or five a day..I think one a week could end with addiction..good luck!

In my experience it really depends how much pleasure your brain associates benzo's with. If you take benzo's repeatedly to alleviate emotional pain or to forget about something which has been bothering you on a daily basis, you are more likely for your brain to associate it with feeling better and therefore more likely to become addicted. If you simply take benzo's for recreation and dont take them terribly often (not every day or more than 3-4 times a week), your brain will probably associate them with simply having fun and therefore it would probably take much longer for you to become addicted.

I used to take opiates to alleviate emotional pain, and I became extremely addicted faster than most. My friend, on the other hand, simply takes them because they are fun and he likes the way they feel, and it took him MUCH longer to become addicted than it took for me.

In my experience it really depends how much pleasure your brain associates benzo's with. If you take benzo's repeatedly to alleviate emotional pain or to forget about something which has been bothering you on a daily basis, you are more likely for your brain to associate it with feeling better and therefore more likely to become addicted. If you simply take benzo's for recreation and dont take them terribly often (not every day or more than 3-4 times a week), your brain will probably associate them with simply having fun and therefore it would probably take much longer for you to become addicted.

What he said.

There is no concrete formula. There is no such thing as "X benzos taken with X frequency = physical dependence". In my experience, psychological dependence sets in first and is a good red flag. I've literally torn apart a room SWEARING up and down I "misplaced" that last xanax bar, when in actuality I ate it without remembering. This has happened on more than one occasion. When you feel truly upset over missing benzos is when you should cease taking them for a bit. Don't wait for physical withdrawl to decide you're addicted. Be very careful. Benzodiazepine addiction sneaks up on you.

Last edited:
Dependence is not the first concern.

Even with moderate use, many people experience MAJOR anxiety upon discontinuation.
It is insidious, meaning it gets you from inside.
You may become angry about something very slowly, something that makes complete sense.
Then, it can snowball into an unbelievable bout of rage.

Only afterwards, will you understand.
As long as you pay attention, you will 'get it' the next day.
But during the anxiety, you won't.

Dependence can be catastrophic.
The effects of long-term use of benzos can be seen in The Dark Side.
Many describe YEARS of gray/dull/emotionless existence after stopping the drug.

During the first days of withdrawal, many will experience such panic attacks that they believe they are having heart-attacks. One of my bosses went to the ER once, when he ran out of his prescription.

Benzos are great for one-time use.
They have a unique ability to target ONLY the brain, and are thus considered safe even in extreme medical circumstances. But continued use...

Just don't do it.