• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Netherlands Will No Longer Sell Cannabis to Tourists

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Amsterdam has long been a destination for tourists looking for a fix. Unlike in most countries where the sale of cannabis is illegal, the Dutch are famous for allowing the drug to be sold in their coffee shops. Yet, in an effort to decrease drug tourism, the Dutch government announced Friday that it will be restricting the sale to citizens.

"In an effort to reduce criminal behavior and tourism as a result of the drug policy, the Dutch government on Friday decided to introduce a membership system for coffee shops. The city of Amsterdam, where most tourists go, is against the decision.

The new system will require members of coffee shops to be a citizen of the Netherlands and over the age of 18."

cont at
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...l-no-longer-sell-cannabis-to-tourists/239601/

Today the Dutch Government announced their intention to move forward with plans to ban tourists from the country’s famous cannabis coffee shops. Only Dutch residents will be able to sign up as members of the coffee shops and each shop will have a limit of 1,500 members.

I guess it’s a good thing that the Dutch have so many other amazing tourist attractions to lure in foreign money – like their booming wooden-ships-in-a-bottle industry. Amsterdam is already in the process of closing some of its 220 cannabis shops, claiming this will help fight crime.

Of course, without foreign money propping them up, the drug dealers – yes, the Dutch have not legalized marijuana, leaving the black market intact – will simply become more aggressive and violent in selling their highly-profitable wares to the home-folk. Closing coffee shops will result in the opening of drug houses. And crime continues for idiotic politicians to complain about, when they don’t know the first thing about reducing it.

http://the420times.com/2011/05/the-dutch-to-ban-tourists-from-cannabis-shops/

yeah honestly it is a good idea - if i lived there i would pretty sick of all the crowed anyways im sure - haha - the marijuana plant deserves a lot more respect.

i also have to wonder how many people will just decide to F-it, and move there rather ...
;-)

^ I think that the cannabis plant deserves to have many people utilize its extraordinary powers.
I don't see any disrespect in people flocking to Holland to use it.
On the contrary, I see it as a sign of the utmost respect, people planning their vacations in such a way.

I think thats wonderful, people should go to Holland to enjoy the sights and not the drugs! I live in Peru and i am so tired of people coming here just to buy cheap cocaine! I am against all forms of drug tourism, legal or not.

As beautiful as Amsterdam is, I wouldn't go to see the architecture or anything. I'd go to buy pot in public and smoke that shit in front of a law officer. Because I can't do that here. I can google the fucking architecture. History has shown time and again that cracking down on a drug limits nothing. Here, all they'd be lessening is tourism money IMO.:(

^ I think that the cannabis plant deserves to have many people utilize its extraordinary powers.
I don't see any disrespect in people flocking to Holland to use it.
On the contrary, I see it as a sign of the utmost respect, people planning their vacations in such a way.

maybe this is a precursor to export it, or you can always grow the shit if you have the room, and not fly around the world to acquire its "extraordinary powers"
lol
:-\

What about the world famous cannabis contest they have every year there? I have been wanting to attend that event.

or did I do that last year? I can't remember. :D

if the dutch want to reduce the money they make from tourism, let them be poorer. pretty sure when their country gets poorer the next government will do a u-turn on this.

i dont have to go to holland to get quality cannabis, but i certainly wont be going there again if weed is not available to the tourists. burn your clientele why dont you.

stoned people buy a lot of food and stay in hotels and both those industries will now have to rely on "real" tourists. even people who go for a romantic weekend away want to get stoned and fuck so really this is a fail move on the part of the dutch.

wait and watch them u turn

...but prostitution is still legal?
The plan is to fight crime by prohibiting a plant that's relatively harmless and commercially availabe but do nothing about human traficking and sexual exploitation often coordinated by organized crime syndicates?
That seems a bit backwards.

IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. You guys that think this is a good idea have obviously never been to Amsterdam... This is a step backwards for the legalization of this plant!

This sucks.

tumblr_l5h9zj1cb41qamx9lo1_400.png

IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. You guys that think this is a good idea have obviously never been to Amsterdam... This is a step backwards for the legalization of this plant!

if this plant is legalized now, it will never be the same -

it should be allowed to be wild as it is, not as an augmented commodity available in your local liquor-store/bottle-shop...

slimvictor: im sorry i only assumed of the tone of your post, assumptions are like dead-ends i believe and thats what i did.

even progressive governments realize its more lucrative to have a thriving black market...

those are amazingly intelligent people ...

im sure they thought this through.

I think maybe the people running the Netherlands have overestimated the appeal of their country compared to other destinations in Europe. I will be taking my honeymoon in Europe this year, and was going to spend the majority of it in Amsterdam, for reasons that we are discussing in this thread. Now, we probably won't even stop there. We can have more fun in Germany during Octoberfest, and we can see more sites in Italy, France, Spain, England/Ireland, etc.

Get on any plane heading from New York to Amsterdam, and it will be full of American stoner tourists, with pockets full of cash to spend on dope (so I've been told). Now, all those flights will be empty. I highly doubt there are going to be enough non-drug tourists to replace all the drug tourists that they will be losing, at least not from the U. S.

I love the dutch, but honestly I haven't been very interested in going back since they banned the sale of psychedelic mushrooms. Amsterdam is a great city for shrooms, but I never really enjoyed getting stoned there anyway. Munich was a lot more fun, lots to do, great beer, and plenty of weed available. It was nice to be able to get weed in Holland without buying from a street dealer, but now that its your only option you might as well go elsewhere.

Living here I have yet to see such change. This pressure comes from the eu and has been that way for Years. The dutch have a history of not following the rules. And if you read the article it only states that officials want to do this

Dealers will be roaming the streets once again. Fuck my government.