• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Netherlands Will No Longer Sell Cannabis to Tourists

*sigh* This will only end badly for them. Its not like its hard to get for us, its just legal there and its nice to do it in public.

there goes my drug experimenting vacation plans

dammit, dammit, dammit! Amsterdam was on my vacation bucket-list... I was going to try as many chemicals as i could while there for a month. sigh... back to square-one with my plans of doing a chemically-enhanced vacation.

just 11 more years 'till i turn-50 and will feel "old enough" to start trying all those chemicals i see you all chatting about.

I have spoken to lots of dutch who are sick of being known only for hookers and redlights and who want their country to be more respected in the world for the right reasons, you cant really argue with that. they have every right to feel that way.

This is a great point, and one that visitors miss. The average Dutch person does not care about weed either way, they are ambivalent. But this image does bug many of them. I cringe when reading that they only visit here cause of the weed, as I don't want the Dutch to hear that.

This law has not been implemented. Its an attempt to deal with the shit that NL gets from the French and German governments, since so many from those countries drive over to NL and buy weed. I do not think it will ever hit Amsterdam.

So first off, this is funny. There going to conciously eliminate all of there tourist money. What is the main source of income for Amsterdam?

Next, tourist are going to get discouraged from going there, whether shops turn a blind eye or not.

Third, locals are just going to go in the shops and get the bud then re sell it. Crime will probably go up.

Fourth, there going to loose money, are they really willing to loose all that money?

The amount of money is not that significant unless you own a business catering to weed tourists (and if you do, its tragic). But tourism is a small part of the economy here, its mostly exports, IT, etc.

I would be surprised if its legal under EU law. There has to be something in there that will work against them, somebody needs to play the race card on this one.

Sadly, there was already a ruling at the EU count that since cannabis is actually illegal in NL, its ok to discriminate against non-residents.

hope not!

I've lived here long enough now to know that it won't happen. The economy of Amsterdam would collapse if people only came here for 'normal' tourist attractions. Over half the hotels would close(at least). There would be so many people put out of work. The police would have to divert resources from other areas to enforce it.
This idea is being pushed by Geert Wilders and his stormtroopers,oops! i mean, party! And if he had his way there would be no black people, or morrocans, etc..Or anybody who doesn't conform to his idea of racial purity. What i'm getting at is, if it were to happen it would mean he was in power and who would want to visit a fascist state anyway.
But, don't worry. Have faith in the Dutch people.

prostitution is still legal tho ? *books flight*

;-)

There's plenty of countries with legal/decriminalized/tolerated prostitution. If you're into sex tourism, some fun can be had there, but there are better places.

If this actually goes through and is enforced, they're really fucking themselves. Do they not understand how much money it brings in?

I wonder what's going to happen to the Cannabis Cup.

To Botanical Baron and amsterdam al, thanks for the 1st hand updates.

Octarine, read what Botanical Baron and amsterdam al had said. It should be alright.

is this some sort of radical new therapy...;/

Anyway that's just horrible and doesn't make a huge amount of success. Surely the farmers and coffee shops will lose a large amount of income... fingers crossed they lift the ban!

It may be similar to a few years ago when the government wanted to ban the red light district, in reality realizing this could never happen they instead decided to implement more laws on the industry and have the district narrowed to a smaller section of Amsterdam.

well.. i just left the netherlands, without pot it will still more than likely remain a very beautiful country in my eyes :)
my thing is, with there high purity mdma, why would you waste time on there cannabis :D

im with most though, id doubt they wont make it illegal, but watching the tourists go and smash the strongest of everything and make them selves look like idiots, is rather ammusing, but id assume a real pain to the locals.

great land.
<3 HOLLAND

I had a friend who went about 15 years ago and she mentioned that the hostel she stayed at had a vending machine in the hallway and it had all sorts of things including a lovely sized joint!
*sigh*

well.. i just left the netherlands, without pot it will still more than likely remain a very beautiful country in my eyes :)
my thing is, with there high purity mdma, why would you waste time on there cannabis :D

im with most though, id doubt they wont make it illegal, but watching the tourists go and smash the strongest of everything and make them selves look like idiots, is rather ammusing, but id assume a real pain to the locals.

great land.
<3 HOLLAND

Thanks buddy =D Now you know what are you talking about ;p

(real pain to the locals) is not too bad, but that is why our government thinks we should exclude foreigners.
Some make a mess of it. They are not used to the high quality and take too much.
These guys are in hospitals and asks for attention. That's not good for foreigners, and gave them a bad name.
If this lasts too long, then the bells sounded and then the government might intervene.
And indeed the same happens with mushrooms. Thats stop for us too :X
As long as something is going well in the Netherlands, you hear little and it just happened. If not, they think that laws that rule.
Here's how it works...

@ all ... I said it above!

Do not worry. Only in my province, they estimate more than 10,000 farmers of pot =D

Edit: and dont forget...POT IS ILLEGAL!!! NOT LEGAL!!!
Tolerated but punishable by law.
You can not sow female plants, and even a male plant seeding.
The law is ultimately the same as everywhere only we are much more tolerant and open to other arguments.

For example, alcohol and why should it legal?
It costs thousands of lives, but may continue :X I'm trying to say: learn the facts and do something with it.

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.

Good night

Last edited:
First they ban shrooms and now they want to stop selling weed to tourists? Amsterdam was a model of freedom to me. I went back in 2007 and enjoyed getting stoned in the coffee shops, having a cigarette in them as well, and tripping on fresh mushrooms. Now I won't be able to do any of the above FML. As others stated above, I am sure they have rich history and architecture and such, but I went to experience freedom. This is truly a backwards trend.

Does Holland have anything that other european countries don't have? I mean.. I've already seen alot of windmills. Besides, staring at windmills is no fun unless you're high.

Well, how did such a far-right anti-immigrant group get put into positions of power? That alone is on the Dutch. I am pretty sure the guy had links to White Supremacist movements. You reap what you so... this is sad, but not unexpected.