• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Netherlands Will No Longer Sell Cannabis to Tourists

Conservatives in this country are effectively using crime scare and ´the kids´scare as reasons to ban cannabis altogether. In short, they are using tactics that have been used for ages in most countries, but it seems to be catching on now. Of course there is also a substantial amount of people that want to legalize. The point is that everyone sees that our current system is failing. In the next twenty years it will be either illegal or legal, not in between like it is now.

Last edited:
i honestly doubt if this will do much at all, there are subversive clues in the short articles that amsterdam especially wont be adhering to this rule, and as the few posters here actually from NL have stated, the rules are usually disregarded anyways.

I would be surprised if its legal under EU law. There has to be something in there that will work against them, somebody needs to play the race card on this one.

Anyone arguing that this is a good thing for cannabis is a fucking idiot.

There are places in the USA and Canada where pot is pretty much completely legal. Teluride, Denver, and many cities in California come to mind. If you are not a resident of the state you will have to buy it off the street however.

That being said, any restrictions against cannabis whatsoever are going in the wrong direction. The growth and use of a plant should never be restricted in any way.

The growth and use of a plant should never be restricted in any way.

unless its a carnivorous underground tuber that swallows mammals whole and digests them (alive) for dozens of years while inflicting constant, excruciating pain and telepathically muttering Satanic incantations

I went to Amsterdam in the early 1980's, before they adopted a "harm reduction" policy towards hard drugs and basically legalized soft drugs. Back then, Amsterdam was pretty much known as the "shithole"of all of Western Europe. Crime was rampant, junkies were everywhere. Myself and my family were even caught in a drive-by shooting while eating at a cafe, and our car was broken into and the theives stole my father's $1000 camera, among other things. The harm-reduction drug laws were basically the sole reason that Amsterdam went from a disgusting, worthless city into the delightful tourist hub that it is today. The officials and the citizens of Amsterdam that are supporting these new harsher drug laws need to take a look at their own history.

And as others have stated, tourists will still be able to get drugs illegally, but I doubt your average tourist would risk spending time in a jail in a foreign country just to get high. Tourists can get drugs illegally in their own countries. Also, prostitution is legal in lots of places in Europe (Germany for one), so that won't draw many tourists there either.

The Netherlands is really committing suicide with these laws banning shrooms and pot. My guess is that after they see Amsterdam revert to the junkie-infested tourist-repellant hell-hole that it was in the 70's/80's, they will come to their senses and revert to the policies that we all know and love.

Last edited:
i wish i understood dutch politics so i could get my head around this move? it just dosn't seem, intelligent?

From my understanding of the as-of-date laws, the illegal trade just has a legitimate front allowing for taxation? the whole black market economy exists still?

wierd.

Wouldnt the country see more of a benefit this way ?

I mean with coffee shops there must be some major illegal shit going on behind what we dont see. (This includes tax crimes. This is one of the main reasons why they made it legal(?) in the first place)

Also gives Holland a bad name while at the same time te country is trying too show the world that it has a pretty strong economy , quality of life, etc
I mean whats the first thing you think of when someone says holland ? lol for me its hookers, weed and those windmill things lmao

The country will see the money and more of it (hopefully - providing these dam rightwingers arent corrupt) not just private businesses .

Weed will maybe go underground depending on how much the membership too buy cannabis is for a Dutch man or woman. I kinda like this .
A good example im going too use is California (cant use Canada as we dont have a privatized health care system that allows us too set up so called "dispensaries" making weed easy to obtain and where weed is used as a last resort treatment. BUt yes we have some of the cali strains going around always but for cheaper. Price also hasnt changed with the rising CDN$ and the lowering USA$ value :p ) where (lets be honest) its pretty much like this even though its technically for "medical" purposes ...
too be honest cali street weed is often better than amsterdam coffee shops lol . And its not even legal in Cali (non-medically). Soo like it will make street dealers have to be EVEN better than the shop owners , which creates competition , which will create better and cheaper weed for the consumer :D

thats just some of the benefits . im so high soo i cant be arsed too say more .

Last edited:
Have there not been cases where EU-wide legislation has forced various official/corporate entities in various EU member states to abandon policies put into place that were discriminating against one state's citizens/organizations/companies over others, where trade is concerned?

Surely, discriminating against non-dutch citizens, who are EU members in this manner is illegal under EU law?

I usually despise the playing of the race card, and the people who do it, but in this case, I think it is a valid thing to do, and would be very surprised if this was brought to the courts, under the aegis of race discrimination, and it were allowed to continue.

Hey I'm new here and this is my first post. I have been going to the Netherlands for a long time, both as a drug tourist and as a regular tourist(I can't figure out the difference really though). The post mentioned earlier about Maastricht closing it's doors to tourists is false, I have been going there for months and I have never been turned away. The community there had fought the idea of Dutch-Only regulation and I even took part in signing a petition solidifying the idea that the doors should be open to tourists. If this Dutch-Only law would happen in Maasticht the results would be terrible, now one might only see 2-3 drug pushers selling crap coke and shit bud on the street; but if the law changed you would see many many more and these are not your favored citizens. Now just speculate on this example a moment and consider how tiny a city Maasticht really is, now if this same idea was to pass in a massive city like Amsterdam the results would be horrific. I seriously doubt the city of Amsterdam will allow this to go on for very long, especially with all those people buying tickets for the Cannabis cup, a 90% American event.

Just my 2 cents

Nice forum you guys have here, peace
baron

They're worried about crime?

These drug warriors are just throwing gasoline on the fire. When they drive stuff underground, criminals and thieves move in. Of course the same happened in Amsterdam because weed is illegal everywhere else.

The harder they crack down on illegal drugs, the worse drug addiction, crime, and imprisonment will become. Look at the parts of the world where drugs have always been available. See many drug related problems. Afghanistan never had a drug problem, a terrorism problem yes, but no drug problem until we came over there and started messing with the poppies.

Have there not been cases where EU-wide legislation has forced various official/corporate entities in various EU member states to abandon policies put into place that were discriminating against one state's citizens/organizations/companies over others, where trade is concerned?

Surely, discriminating against non-dutch citizens, who are EU members in this manner is illegal under EU law?

I usually despise the playing of the race card, and the people who do it, but in this case, I think it is a valid thing to do, and would be very surprised if this was brought to the courts, under the aegis of race discrimination, and it were allowed to continue.

I think that there is indeed a possibility of the law being challenged. The question is who is prepared to stick their neck out?

Also as I understand it, each municipality is going to be given the choice of how they implement the proposed law.

Hello

Its not that bad! There have been discussions about time, because the serious crime force trying to address.
Notes that the Government and therefore get some intervention.
For now there really is no exclusion of EU citizens.
I hope that I am a little help.
I lurk around here, and I was thinking: Let me respond :)

plur from the lowlands

This was set in motion with the banning of shrooms in coffee shops. Probably before that actually.

I understand banning something that causes mass deaths and injuries (somewhat), but it's a slippery slope. Just look at the way Amsterdam/Netherlands natives handle drugs vs. European and American tourists. To those that live there, pot/shrooms and other drugs are NO BIG DEAL while tourists (often) go batshit crazy and often end up in the ER, bringing all sorts of bad press. Making something taboo instantly increases its appeal, and the U.S. should learn this ASAP.

As much as it sucks, I honestly can't blame them for this decision. People should learn how to conduct themselves on drugs. At the same time, this decision reeks of American/EU influence. You know, the "world police" and all.

unless its a carnivorous underground tuber that swallows mammals whole and digests them (alive) for dozens of years while inflicting constant, excruciating pain and telepathically muttering Satanic incantations

Nobody seemed to notice this post, but I really appreciated it! <3

If I am a dutch citizen living in the US, will I still be able to get my cannabis when I return on vacations?