• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Netherlands Will No Longer Sell Cannabis to Tourists

anyone who has been to amsterdam recently knows this is not as black & white as it seems. that city is not going to stop selling pot to tourists. not without a huge fight.

I've been living in Rotterdam for the last six months, but I don't know a whole lot about this issue.

What I do know is that currently a very conservative gov't is in power (by Dutch standards).

However, some cities/towns have already implemented these laws themselves. Earlier this year Maastricht stopped selling weed to non-residents.

I'd say if it is implemented, it will still be relatively easy for tourists to get around, and the law will be reversed at least to some extent after the next election, especially if the conservatives are out.

All I can say is, thank god for my Dutch passport :p

Doesnt make sense, I mean what the fuck is the netherlands doing this for? A PR ploy? Why stop selling something that makes you so much money each year?

DOESNT-MAKE-SENSE

^Agreed. The coffeeshops, who will not be on board with this, are gonna do anything they can to get round this; they managed to turn a blind eye to the tobacco ban without much difficulty.
Still, glad I got to visit a couple of times before now so even if the worst does happen I got to live the dream for a while... It is better to have loved and lost afterall!

I once read a book that described the streets before the introduction of the coffeeshops, it was a book about football but this guy was describing how everything was done down dark alleys out of sight, and you were lucky if you didnt get mugged along the way, he described an intimidating, often violent . Rather than reducing crime this will increase it. It is an opportunity for the street trade to reappear.

the city of amsterdam have done a good job of cleaning up the area of junkies and charlie boys and now they government is doing there darnedest to bring them back.

The trade hurts noone and the city of amsterdam thrives on it.

Where there is a will there is a way, and outlets will still be be more easily available there than in other towns and cities, but it was the ease there that drove people there, and if they think that this wont hurt their economy they are honestly fooling themselves.

I know just quite how many people used to go to amsterdam for the smoke and they will be hurting the small businesses there, which is silly. The foreigners coming to the netherlands weren't causing the problems.

I have spoken to lots of dutch who are sick of being known only for hookers and redlights and who want their country to be more respected in the world for the right reasons, you cant really argue with that. they have every right to feel that way.

Last edited:
no biggie, ill just buy it off the dealer outside, i honestly do not see any advantages to this at all, less income for the country and more money in the hands of criminals.

idiots... i blame the EU personally forcing the Netherlands to crack down via political pressure, cannot stand that bureaucratic superstate which we pour billions in every year so they can essentially run our country for us, the most undemocratic "democratic" union to ever exist

All that's going to accomplish is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fluxuation in dealers peddling the exact same weed to tourists for a marked up price. Brilliant. Get ready for a crime increase. You're one closer to becoming America, Amstergoddamn.

So first off, this is funny. There going to conciously eliminate all of there tourist money. What is the main source of income for Amsterdam?

Next, tourist are going to get discouraged from going there, whether shops turn a blind eye or not.

Third, locals are just going to go in the shops and get the bud then re sell it. Crime will probably go up.

Fourth, there going to loose money, are they really willing to loose all that money?

Hopefully, after the the torrent of toking tourists doesn't subside and the criminal fringe steps in to fill the niche, Holland will be a valuable expose to the world of why most of the problems with marijuana are caused by its illegality.

^I hope to Jah thats what happens (well, in a "hope they learn now" kind of way) but honestly thats when the Opposition can cite that increase in crime to A.) Drug Tourism or B.) Reefer Madness. Even though its sheer idiocy it can happen.

As we have already seen with drug bans the world over, making something that is commonly used illegal just breeds more crime. Sure the citizens themselves can still purchase weed legally, but someone will end up dealing illegally to tourists.

I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that if this went through the coffee shops would be legally allowed to have a certain number of plants per member.

Anyone know if this is still the case? Cause if it is I see some positives

That is not only an act of discrimination, it is an act of shooting one's self in the foot. By banning tourists from the cafes the country will lose money in cannabis sales and eventually from lack of tourism. I've never been to the Netherlands and I'm sure there are many neat things to see there but a large percentage of people visit for the country's special cafes. Less people are going to travel to Amsterdam now and the country's tourism income will suffer.

Laws are ridiculous!! I can see age being a factor in buying drugs ie tobacco and alcohol (in the US) but nationality should have nothing to do with it. In this case, it seems like this law would generate less income for the coffee shop owners, and keep americans and others from buying a product which i imagine is taxed.

I really dont understand this one :\