• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Illegal Drug Use Cost U.S. $193 Billion in 2007, Study Says

If alcohol is legal, there's no reason other drugs cant be too. Fuck decriminalization.

What makes it obvious money is the sole objective reason for prohibition is that being high on drugs IS decriminalized, yet possession/conspiring/dealing isn't. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of "keeping people off drugs"? You don't necessarily have to be using to possess a chemical ...

Well you bring up a good point about alcohol being legal. Alcohol is probably one of the most destructive drugs out there, it wrecks more lives then anything. But people think sense it's legal they can maybe give it a try and not be like the countless alcoholics before them that lost that war.

I would like for drugs to be legal like they were in the early 1900's. The problem is some politician probably thinks if drugs were legalized, little johny is going to go to the nearest drug store and start shooting H.

That's probably not the case, people that weren't drug users before, arn't going to become drug users just because it's legal. What's going to happen is people that are already drug users and probably productive members of society, i'm not talking about complete crack heads here. There going to benefit from drugs being easily accesable, cheap, pure, and safe!

So i'm all for legalization. But the reason I said decriminalize, is because it's more realistic for the time being. What would make me proud, is if there was a federal mandate sent out to make possesion of drugs/distribution of drugs law enforcements lowest priority.

Kind of like how some cities/counties have made marijuana the lowest on there list of priorties.

Wow... that's alot of money. And I've hheard plenty of good ideas to the alternative of prohibition. Ppl will always discriminate against drug use, alot of them being of a faith that makes less sense than our drug laws. Its time for everyone to wake thhe Fuck up and accept ppl for who they are. Doo u see the gov locking ppl up foor eating fatty foods and foorcing thhem into bootcamp for being obese? And yeah alcohol Prohibition was the onlyy experiment we needed to distinguish what would work and what wont.

Vote for Ron Paul. He is all about legalization of drugs and prostitution, etc. At least, he wants to remove drug enforcement from the federal level and leave it up to the states.

In a debate he said it so perfectly. If heroin was legal most people wouldn't go out and start shooting it. He said that people want to protect their rights to practice religion, etc., but we don't even care about protecting our OWN PERSONAL HABITS! We let the government say that heroin is illegal and bad so we shouldn't do it. We simply aren't fighting for our liberties and freedom of choice across the board.

He said "Up until this past century drugs were legal. What you're inferring is 'you know what, if we legalize herion tomorrow, everyones going to use heroin.' How many people here would use heroin if it was legal? I bet nobody would!"

"Oh yeah I need the government to take care of me! I don't want to use heroin so I NEED these laws!"

He's a fucking republican which is what's so amazing. The audience was cheering like crazy when he said that... the debate was in south carolina of all places!

war on drugs? what a lame idea,if we must fight something to feel like big bad heroes,then lets have war on

Paralithodes Camtschaticus
_binary

these motherfunkers are severly overpopulated and bring destruction to sea ecosystem,plus its way more fun to stab them with knife than some stupid bag with drugs

I agree with all thats been said. legalization is the oversized white elephant thats taking up every court room and prison system in the country. The way i see it, the majority of the US, if not the world feels this war is more of a problem than drugs themselves. I think the issue on most peoplesminds is what hypothetically woulc or coud be allowed to happen were we to "announce" legalization.

Maybe it wouldn't work, maybe the cartels would find a way to stick around. But in all honesty I really believe it would lead to a less convoluted justice system as well as tangible, undoubtedlly necessary changes to our economy. It is no longer a civil issue. It is a public health concern that could be compared to an epidemic.

Watch some of the Russian videos on desomorphine limb necrosis and then tell me that at the very least free clinics wouldn't make this world a better place.

Private prisons are evil, no one should profit "legally" from "crime".

And seriously, wtf is prostitution illegal and boxing isnt? How can a dude get punched in the face until he loses consciousness but a woman cant make me very happy for a few bucks? what a fucked up world!

^agreed.

George Carlin sums the whole illogical nature of prostitution being illegal perfectly:

"I don't understand why prostitution is illegal. Selling is legal... Fucking is legal. So why isn't selling fucking legal?
Why is it illegal to sell something that is perfectly legal to give away for free?"

Haha RIP.

this so called "War on Drugs" needs to stop!!! our gov needs to atleast legalize bud, COME ON OBAMA U BETTR DO IT UR SECOND TERM MY NIGGA

he said he wouldn't. in fact i think he said he would send feds after dispensaries. obama is going where the moneys at, nothing more or less :\

ron paul for legalization.. ;)

I often hear more noise then answers coming from illegal drug users and drug laws. I agree the system right now is broke, but what do you guys have in mind?
i advocate what leary and others have been advocating for decades. end prohibition and use a licensing system. in order to purchase cocaine and other drugs with pharmacology similar to cocaine, you attend a short course and take a test. this grants you a cocaine/ritalin/other similar drugs license, which you can use at your local recreational drugs store.

this way, virtually every drug user would either A) have been taught harm reduction knowledge that could save him from addiction, overdose, and enable him to revive anybody who overdoses, or B) chances are if they don't have a license, they're at least using with somebody who does have a license. the myths about drugs, myths that even permeate bluelight sometimes, would disappear.

you'd have to be over 21 for the license. non-private/not-for-profit state universities would be in charge of the material in that course and on that test for the license, and for the general scheme overall...

drug prices, assuming no tax (haha), would fall to be 10-100x cheaper. there would be no impurities, there would be addiction support conspicuously available to anybody in a recreational drugs store, etc etc.

--

just know that, if we elect ron paul, we're going to have to tighten our financial belts... unemployment will rise, those making less than a million dollars a year will receive much less of the US's share of wealth and fall on some pretty hard times, due to all of his deregulation of the private sector and gutting of the public sector*

*if he actually implements his campaign promises... it's not like you can just walk into the whitehouse, once elected, and say now let me do my job as president... no, i imagine it goes something like this: you become elected, you walk into a dark room with the aroma of expensive cigars, and some of the top bankers are sitting around the table. they tell you to watch a TV set. on it, you see JFK assassinated, from an angle you've never seen before. then, they ask, "any questions?"

explains the obama disaster pretty well..

credit for the new president joke goes to comedan Lee Camp

--

if you want a president who demonstratably (on their voting record) sticks to his principles (like ron paul does) but does not have to answer to christian-moralist voters, and who won't deregulate the economy to the point where our country is as bought and sold as our leaders, try dennis kucinich (D). also kucinich's wife is pretty hot.

Last edited:
I often hear more noise then answers coming from illegal drug users and drug laws. I agree the system right now is broke, but what do you guys have in mind?

Under a President Gary Johnson, what would America’s drug war look like?

The reality is that the regulation of drugs is going to become a states' issue, just as it is with alcohol. States are going to control the manufacturing, distribution, sale and taxation of marijuana, for example. But it’s my understanding that as president, I could deschedule marijuana immediately—and I would do that.

http://www.thefix.com/content/gop-odd-man-out?page=all

Legalize & regulate drugs with the FDA. Make it legal for drug companies to produce drugs that are currently illegal. Then the money gets put back into the economy by sales taxes, income taxes for the drug companies' profit revenue, payment for employees of newly added jobs. That's a dickload of money that ends up mostly abroad in the hands of bad people who make dirty drugs maximizing profits anyway possible, regardless of health risks imposed (levamisole-tainted cocaine, dirty X pills, dirty heroin, etc.)

Drugs should not be illegal. I could see age limits, like being 21 though. That's cool with me... Although violations would result in fines, not jailtime... Unless you are DWI, that is dangerous and should be a crime.

Drugs should be just like alcohol IMO. Which is also a drug :?

This.
Lets start with marijuana, and all psychadelics like DMT, LSD, MDMA, Mesculine, 2c-x substances, 4-fa, 4-mmc, 4-mec, 3-fa, and 6-apb/5-apb.

If that's how much "fighting drugs" costs, I can only imagine how much fighting 3 different wars costs...
The USA: Where we invade countries, demolish their land and government, and pay for it to be rebuilt

If drugs were legal I'm pretty sure that about the same percenntage of people would abuse them... but the government would then have all this new tax money to cover it... seeing as they gotta pay for it either way you would think that they would want to tax it so the people with the problems so they would fund thmselves.... just like cigs and booze... and pharmies...

Seems like it could be integrated into a standardized healthcare system which will also help improve care and cut costs....

I wish they reworded this to say

"Drug use being illegal cost US 193 billion dollars in 2007"

I am truly and utterly sick to death of these lying political, law enforcing self righteous morons who live under this false impression of elite superiority. These people who march around acting like they've been selected to enforce a universially defined order given from the almighty God himself commanding that they must protect the human race from its own self at all times. Get real!

However, what is the real reason lying behind those who oppose Drug Legalization? Well, it's because they Care! :D They really care about you! And each and every other individuals mental health and physical wellbeing. They care about all of your hopes, your dreams, your desires and your ambitions. And they also care deeply for the friends, families and the children who might fall to become potential victims of suffering caused by the devlish wrath of drugs.

To be honest, I for one completely see through this decieptive and condescending bullshit. I will support Drug Legalizaiton untill the day I die because I believe that we should have the freedom to destroy ourselves as we wish and to live within a society that isn't bent over backwards trying to salvage every last bit of freedom that we are still somehow desperatly trying to hold on to.

Last edited:
This study is methodologically flawed:

Every time a dealer uses proceeds from drug sales to buy consumer goods or services, money is being pumped back into the economy and community, stimulating further production and consumption. Given the size of our hunger for drugs, this might even offset outright the supposed 'cost' of drug use.

ebola

This study is methodologically flawed:

Every time a dealer uses proceeds from drug sales to buy consumer goods or services, money is being pumped back into the economy and community, stimulating further production and consumption. Given the size of our hunger for drugs, this might even offset outright the supposed 'cost' of drug use.

ebola

Street-level dealers don't make anything compared to what the cartels are bringing back

However, there are a lot more bottom level dealers (as sum retail sales are greater than sum wholesale sales). But this doesn't really apply to my point anyway.

ebola

However, there are a lot more bottom level dealers (as sum retail sales are greater than sum wholesale sales). But this doesn't really apply to my point anyway.

ebola

All the money of all the dealers combined is still less than what the cartels bring abroad.

Imagine if that money sent to foreign cartel suppliers was sent back into the USA economy :p

Last edited: