• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pet Peeves v. u mad?

I hate it when you want to ask someone a serious question and they reply with some cheesy joke, and don't actually answer your question. And I don't mean situations where they don't want to answer for personal reasons or whatever. They're the sort of people it's almost impossible to have a serious discussion with about anything.

^ Then don't talk serious with that person. Everyone is different and if they're intelligent, they might try to appeal more toward not pissing you off in the future. (Or you can just ask for a serious answer before getting angry).

I believe it's rather quotable just how little we realize that MOST of our little "Pet Peeves" are all in our minds. We get upset with people when they do things we don't want them to do. However, they can do whatever the Hell they want. It's their lives and letting what they do bother us is our own problem. But if we can't change what they do and do not, why do we allow ourselves to be mad in the first place? (speaking on the basis of other people only, not random "I'm angry at this (animal, or other things we can control), make it work!" peeves)

"Swim" smoking a nice fat blunt.....

God i hate the use of that fucking acronym

Peeves are not the same as gripes with people who've personally pissed you off. Yeah, it's better to live and let live, but, as social animals in close proximity we need to get along. Peeves include rude/insensitive social behavior that's sadly commonplace (taking two parking spots), as well as all the little things we can't ignore (consistent use of 'flustrated' and 'for all intensive purposes').

People who say "what" every time you make a statement, even though you know full well that they heard you clearly.

^ Then don't talk serious with that person. Everyone is different and if they're intelligent, they might try to appeal more toward not pissing you off in the future. (Or you can just ask for a serious answer before getting angry).

I believe it's rather quotable just how little we realize that MOST of our little "Pet Peeves" are all in our minds. We get upset with people when they do things we don't want them to do. However, they can do whatever the Hell they want. It's their lives and letting what they do bother us is our own problem. But if we can't change what they do and do not, why do we allow ourselves to be mad in the first place? (speaking on the basis of other people only, not random "I'm angry at this (animal, or other things we can control), make it work!" peeves)

I can't control who annoys me.

And when I say 'annoy', that usually involves me politely laughing but swearing in my mind at them, but then forgetting it 5 mins later.

If I could control what does and doesn't annoy me I'm sure life would be a lot simpler. I can do my best to forget about it and move on, but it's kind of hard to avoid in life in general.

not sure if i mentioned this before, but radio dj's who babble over song intros. usually the dj is not saying anything useful and just talking because they like the sound of their voice. i don't care that you want a hamburger for lunch, it doesn't add anything to my enjoyment of the song and its not even relevant to the song.

^ completely agree. Before my days of internet access I would try and tape favorite songs from the radio that I liked, and as you can imagine, when this fucking cretin of a DJ starts blabbering on and on about nonsense, it pisses me off. They also have a habit of cutting songs short way before they're meant to have finished, as if it's just trailing off into silence when it so obviously off.

This is why I tend not to listen to that sort of radio anymore. I prefer radio stations where there is just debate and no music (possibly with the odd add for revenue purposes).

^they don't even bother to give relevant info like who the band is or that the band has a show coming up. its always inane crap. when i was a dj in college, i hated coming up with stuff to say.

In that vein, I prefer college stations because they're less likely to talk for no reason or over the intro of a song, and they're more likely to play the entire song...indeed, the joys of living in a college town. :)

Also, I have to agree with:

And when I say 'annoy', that usually involves me politely laughing but swearing in my mind at them, but then forgetting it 5 mins later.

If I could control what does and doesn't annoy me I'm sure life would be a lot simpler. I can do my best to forget about it and move on, but it's kind of hard to avoid in life in general.

To me, peeves are things that annoy me on a day-to-day basis, even if they're the actions of only one person. If they happen repeatedly, I'm going to start classifying them as a peeve.

my neighbors pit bull got in my yard and she was afraid to go in cause of my dog

my dog is a BASSETHOUND!!!!!!

In that vein, I prefer college stations because they're less likely to talk for no reason or over the intro of a song, and they're more likely to play the entire song...indeed, the joys of living in a college town. :)

Also, I have to agree with:

To me, peeves are things that annoy me on a day-to-day basis, even if they're the actions of only one person. If they happen repeatedly, I'm going to start classifying them as a peeve.

A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it.

But yeah, one of my pet peeves is pendantry! Nah, just playin with you mate =D

You do have a point.

Really, my biggest pet peeve is ignorance and close mindedness. Take ibogaine treatment for addiction for example. Because technically it's a hallucinogen, people just can't get past that point and open up their mind to the drugs potential. Or cannabis legalization. These things make me want to bash my head against a brick wall!

Another one is the mentality towards 'criminals'. Most don't care about rehabilitation, as long as they are punished (at the taxpayer's expense) by locking them up. To me these people keeping the system the way it is are the real perpetrators of crime on a mass scale, because they don't want to actually do something to break the offending cycle, simply because it's too 'soft'.

And what gives them the right to claim these criminals don't deserve human rights? You can't pick and choose. If you go down that path, where does it end? Do we start torturing them? Killing them? Fucking ignorant pricks!! Two wrongs don't make a fucking right (perhaps they missed that in nursery school). Twats.

Last edited:
Computer technicians. The people that would just do the same thing as anyone else trying to fix a computer: search google.com. It bothers me when people think that they know what their talking about just because they called them out and payed them money.

I was looking at my mother in-law's 8 year old computer for some reason and noticed that it didn't have anti-virus. So I installed AVG free edition. A week later the computer dies. She calls some computer tech up and he comes out an tells her "Yep, it was the anti-virus. Time to get a new one."

i believe that about 10% of life is about what happens, the other 90% is how we choose to deal with it. hence, i believe it's quite possible to choose to not be annoyed by something. as with many things in life, initially it's easier said than done.

alasdair

People who insist that I make an appointment to see them, but refuse to ever, ever, EVER be on time to said appointment.

When people say "literally" for something that isn't/wasn't literal.

For example: Someone says they "literally fell on [their] ass!" yet fell forward, onto their hands and knees--They did not literally fall on their ass.

Another was literally spotted on a box of sprouted pasta: "[The pasta] is literally bursting with nutrients!" If it was bursting, I certainly wouldn't have bought it!

Not really a peeve of mine but it was recently pointed out to me and it literally jumps out at me now.

addictivepersona, that's a joke right?

damien, you don't hate computer technicians, you hate shitty computer technicians :)

alasdair